LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
milfovoxapl

Default How Gentle They Can Be
Kally is now almost two years old. She's a drop-dead-gorgeous brindle pit. Into her life this year came a four-week-old kitten, who looks like a little black-and-white cow. My how Kally wanted to befriend this little tyke. She wooed the baby, she nudged the baby, she licked the baby, she protected the baby from Quincy, a lovable and noble golden retriever who also wanted to mother the baby.

Kally and Maggie Shayne, the baby, became inseparable. They developed this endearing routine that all pit bull owners must know: the mouth play. Into Kally's mouth went the baby's head. The baby loved it. In turn, the baby played with Kally's face, tapping Kally's head with her little paws. The play evolved to grooming. Every few days you'll see the baby cleaning Kally's head, including her ears. In fact, the baby cleans all parts of Kally's body.

When Kally first came to live with us, I was afraid she'd kill Quincy. How far we have come. Both Kally and Quincy share the parenting of Maggie Shayne. And Tobey D, well, he's in love with Maggie Shayne too. He's a 22-toed orange Hemingway-type cat.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Czrzftmz

awwww what an awesome story! you got yourself an awesome, very loving family!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
toksenveste

What a sweet story! You need to post some pictures of them together in the Photo section.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
hablyShappY

Sounds so cute. You should try to get some pictures!

I'll only say this - don't allow the kitten around the dogs when they're eating.
My Debo is a cat lover, played so gently w/ a pair of kittens I got a few years ago. But after 2 weeks of perfect behavior, he snapped at one of the kittens when it got too close to him eating. All it took was one snap & the kitten was dead. He didn't mean to kill it - it was a typical warning behavior from a dog. But he didn't know his own strength.

I'd be cautious. Even if your dog allows the kitten to eat w/ her now, maybe she won't when kitty gets older. There could come a time when Kally decides it's time for kitty to learn her place in the pack.

I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know or if I come off as rude. I know first hand how precious it is, but how it can turn around in an instant.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
grubnismarl

Yep, its too sweet. My cats and dogs all get along really well too. We have regular snuggle parties. But from time to time, they will oust the kitty from Moms lap just because they can.
Jealous Pots! I agree about the food thing. They are a dog first....a friend second...

Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #6
Txaizdxx

Def. need some pictures of them! I bet they are so cute!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
investmentonlinev2006x

Def. need some pictures of them! I bet they are so cute!
Yeah, I request for the pics too!

Reply to Thread New Thread