LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-12-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
Wheldcobchoto

Default Don't want my dog to be a vicious killer......
.....but reading thru this site I must admit i'm a lil shocked and nervous at some of the things i've read concerning pits and guarding!!!!

Is everyone exagerrating or have exceptional dogs or is it true that Pits make lousy guard dogs? That they're more likely to lick a intruder to death than guard!

I hope everyone is just super down playing the apbt because of the negative media attention they've received over the years. Like I said they don't have to be assassins but jeez I hope my pup when grown will bite blood from a intruder or protect my family.

Someone who has a different opinion of the Pits please give me some hope!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
Jadykeery

Sorry. If you wanted a guard dog, you got the wrong breed. Human aggression is NOT tolerated in the APBT and dogs showing true HA should be culled. An APBT with a correct temperament would help a thief carry your stuff to their car, but kill another dog in it's tracks.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
FUNALA

If you want a guard dog, you have picked the wrong breed. The APPT is not a guardian breed. That's why I have a chihuahua. No one comes anywhere near my apartment

Old 03-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
Andoror

no it is true...that said, if your family is there the hat is up in the air, some might protect some will lick the intruder some will run and hide...but, if the family is gone and whatnot they will more than lickly just be friendly to the intruder and happy for the attention they get. This breed is not a guarding breed, herding breeds that guard there flock seem to make good guarding dogs and protecting dogs, example being the GSD

Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
BEyng6hj

Sorry. If you wanted a guard dog, you got the wrong breed. Human aggression is NOT tolerated in the APBT and dogs showing true HA should be culled. An APBT with a correct temperament would help a thief carry your stuff to their car, but kill another dog in it's tracks.

I agree! Don't get an APBT / bully breed if you want a guard dog. Get a rottie or GSD they are guard dogs definately not APBTs. HA is not acceptable in this breed. Do you have an APBT?

Old 03-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
weightpillsnow

I wouldn't even get a rottweiler as a guard dog....
For a guard dog I'd get a mastiff.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
Andoror

I wouldn't even get a rottweiler as a guard dog....
For a guard dog I'd get a mastiff.
this is true, I love mastiff's and they are great guards

Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
GOLAGLULT

Sorry to dissapoint you.APBT are most definatly NOT a gaurding breed.Though not all will ''lick an intruder'' i would say most will,in fact, help someone steal your stuff for a belly rub.My APBT loves everyone she meets.Very exited-fullbody wiggles,and boing boing jumping with a whipping tail wagging in sheer joy to see ANYONE that comes in the door is about standard.Human related aggression is not acceptable in this breed.period. ANY human agression should not be tollerated.Dog agression is acceptable as it is a breed trait.Go with a Mastiff,GSD,Rottweiler or Dobermann Pinscher if you want a gaurd dog. An APBT is a lover and NOT a fighter.(at least where humans are concerned)

Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
ZenDers

I would hope that someone would be happy to hear their dog won't be biting anyone.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
attishina

if you want a bully breed that would be a decent guard dog id go with an American Bulldog

Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #11
erepsysoulptnw

Definitely not the breed to get if you want a guard dog... they may bark, and sound good from the other side of the door, but once the door is open, it's all over but the butt wiggles. I think seriously, if my dogs ever really felt like I was in harm... maybe, just maybe, they "might" growl or something, but I'm not leaving the job up to them... chances are, I'd be screwed if I depended on them to protect me.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #12
peemovvie

for the most part its true they make lousy guard dogs.they just love people to much.on the other hand there appearance alone is enough to ward of an intruder and given the fact that like you most people think they are good guard dogs.i have seen some that do the job well but for the most part there just not breed that way.that doesn't mean if you or your family were being attacked the dog wont die to defend you.my dogs are extremely friendly to strangers but if me or my wife were in danger my dogs would defend us.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #13
DeedPatmeda

but jeez I hope my pup when grown will bite blood from a intruder or protect my family.
I am going to cry. One of the reasons why this breed is in so much trouble is because some owners think it is perfectly fine for their pit bull to be human aggressive. How many reports or news articles have been reported that involve "pit bull" attacks?! This is why this amazing breed is facing BSL today! Why, oh why, don't people research before getting a pit bull?

I give up.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 AM   #14
realfan87

When I used to live in a 'not so nice' neighborhood, I worried more about hiding Brika in the backroom if I thought an intruder might be trying to get in. I was more worried about protecting her more than her ever trying to protect me.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 AM   #15
weightpillsnow

I'd like to say DO NOT get an American Bulldog as a 'Guard Dog', we already have bad press facing BSL as the breed is already facing. We do not need another "Pit Bull Attack" headline. Don't get any bully breed in fact for the use of any guard/protection work.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #16
DeedPatmeda

that doesn't mean if you or your family were being attacked the dog wont die to defend you.my dogs are extremely friendly to strangers but if me or my wife were in danger my dogs would defend us.
And how do you know this? Dog owners love to romanticize and their dog will protect them if need be but can we say for certain this is so?

Logan does a lot of alert barking. He also has been protective of me when a drunk man approached me yelling and waving his arms in the air. He growled and barked but I have no dreams about him actually biting someone. Do I feel safe with him? I do but if an intruder came into our home and he didn't do anything that is fine by me. I knew acquiring a pit bull they are not a guardian breed so my job is to protect him, not the other way around.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #17
peemovvie

[quote=Deniselynn;493582]

I am going to cry. One of the reasons why this breed is in so much trouble is because some owners think it is perfectly fine for their pit bull to be human aggressive. How many reports or news articles have been reported that involve "pit bull" attacks?! This is why this amazing breed is facing BSL today! Why, oh why, don't people research before getting a pit bull?

I give up.[/quote
that's bullshit,any dog should defend its pack if they were being attacked.i don't care what breed it is.i don't think that's the same as HA.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #18
ZenDers

There is always a chance any breed will defend, but there is always a chance that any dog will run as well. It's a crap shoot, if you are just hoping something happens.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #19
DeedPatmeda

There is always a chance any breed will defend, but there is always a chance that any dog will run as well. It's a crap shoot, if you are just hoping something happens.
Thank you Jeanine.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #20
kictainiSot

.....but reading thru this site I must admit i'm a lil shocked and nervous at some of the things i've read concerning pits and guarding!!!!

Is everyone exagerrating or have exceptional dogs or is it true that Pits make lousy guard dogs? That they're more likely to lick a intruder to death than guard!

I hope everyone is just super down playing the apbt because of the negative media attention they've received over the years. Like I said they don't have to be assassins but jeez I hope my pup when grown will bite blood from a intruder or protect my family.

Someone who has a different opinion of the Pits please give me some hope!
Are you serious? I guess the thoght of doing research BEFORE you got the dog never crossed your mind.

Reply to Thread New Thread