LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
antonyandruleit

You are all so wonderful and thankyou so much for the advice I am feeling a little better about it. However, my husband is now moving up to MI before me and with the dogs, so I have given him all the information and hope that they behave for their dad.
We never leave our dogs outside unsupervised, I am to parinoide. So the hubby will put in a tie out but will supervise and one dog at a time. We also have shock collars that our dogs use for leave it when we were training them. So they will have those on for a mental reminder. The hubby is going to have both dogs on leash or in their crates while they get use to the new house. With out me there he wants to have total control. I trust him and know he will be fne. I am just sad I am going to mis out on all the exitment and introducing the dogs to their new home.
As soon as I get out there I will take some pictures!
Thanks again!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
DeedPatmeda

Things are falling in to place. Just think how fun it will be to have your dogs play in the snow on all that land!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
antonyandruleit

I can't wait. I keep dreaming about it.
One of our favorite games is hide-n-seek. I can't wait to have a bigger house so we can really play instead of using the same 3 spots in my old house.
God has blessed us so now I just have to be patient and trust that everything will be ok. I know the hubby will take great care and causion with our dogs while I am not around. Everything will be fine.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
antonyandruleit

Default I need all the advice i can get - please read!
WE ARE MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
For the last year my husband and I have been praying about our life and our future and where God wants us to go. The area we are living in is hard for us and it wasnít taking us anywhere. So recently my husband gets offered a wonderful job in Michigan. So we have decided to take a leap of faith and try something new. We are excited about the change, a new life and new experiences. I am excited because now I only have to work 1 job not 4 jobs.
The house we got is everything I have always wanted but it is going to be a huge adjustment for us and the dogs. Our house sits on 4 acres of forest surrounded by 40 acres of forest. I am so exited and so nervous at the same time. This is a big change and I want everything to go as smoothly as possible. I am a little worried about the dogís adjustment to a completely new and different environment.
I am looking for advice on everything so please; I would love all the advice and knowledge that you have to offer. All advice and opinions welcomed
1. The yard has no fence. Which means I need to do a tie out? I have been researching but I am not sure which one is the best to use. What do you use? Also, how do you know what collars are tough enough to hold the dog? Why donít you put a dog on a harness and then attach them to the long line. Is a collar better than a harness? How do I know that the chain set up is ok? Do I let the dogs play together on their chains, or should they be away from each other? They are indoor dogs and will stay that way; I just want them to be protected when they are outside.
2. Where do you usually stake the tie outs? What have you found to be convenient for you?
3. How should we introduce that doge to the house? Outside to inside? How do I make sure that Boo does not mark up the house (besides having him tethered to my side)?
4. What is he does mark in the house, what is the best way to clean carpet? (I have never lived in a house with carpet)
5. For those of you who live in the country, are there any other types of precautions that you might take with your dogs that you wouldnít if you lived in the city?

Side Question:
We just got a leather couch (used, but in good condition) and would like the dogs to be able to come up but I am seeing light streaks from where their nails were. It is not torn just discolored. Is there any way to fix this or do I just have to deal with it?

Thank you so much for all your advice and opinions. If you have another advice please feel free to offer it.
Keep us in your prayers for a nice and safe move with all our stuff and the dogs.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
crazuMovies

Oh girl, I am super happy to hear about your move and that things are looking up for you and your hubby. I do not have any helpful answers on the rest of your post though

Old 10-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
verybigf

Very Awsome congrats on the new move and house. We just moved from a small apartment in the heat of AZ to a house with a big backyard in the cold ok OK lol.

I don't know what large preditors are in that range but with that much space I'm sure there must be something I would definetly suggest that when you have the money to put up a fence not just to keep the dogs in but to keep large preditors out. I don't have a tie out for my dog as shes inside only and only goes outside if someone is with her.

In my experiance as far as inturduceing him to the new place make sure all his stuff and yours is already in the house with both his and your scent already in the house he's less likely to mark, but if he does happen to have an accident the natures miricale no mark is an awsome product. Its an enzim cleaner and does great removing both the odor and stain and also has a deterant to keep the dog from marking in the spot again.

Good Luck with the move

Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Flieteewell

oh Pitgirl17, I am so happy for you guys!!!!! This is going to be great for you; I think you'll love living there; it sounds awesome to me! I wish I had that much space around me. So when are you moving?

I don't have much advice about the tie-outs, but I'm sure you'll get plenty.

I'm sure the dogs will adjust fine. Just work w/ them & introduce everything in as positive a way as possible. That probably won't be too hard, as the dogs will pick up somewhat on you & your hubby's excitement & positivity. They'll want to explore & sniff everything. When you first bring them to the new house, also bring a few of their familiar items: a couple toys, blanket, bed, and they will start to associate the new house as being their house. Go w/ them throughout the house to let them explore, but also to correct if they decide to mark or something.

Get a bottle of Nature's Miracle, or some other kind of enzyme cleaner, to keep on hand. It's good for cleaning pee, poop & puke out of carpets or fabric.

For the leather couch, you can get some leather conditioner product, meant for furniture. That will help lessen those marks on the couch. You will to an extent, just have to deal w/ it though.

Congrats!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
DeedPatmeda

OMG! That is fantastic news! Your house sounds lovely! 4 acres? Okay, I am envious! Please post pictures and I wish you nothing but the best of luck with your new life. You totally deserve it!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
BEyng6hj

I have no advice either but just good thoughts and prayers that you have a nice move and everything goes well for you, your husband, and your pups.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
FotoCihasWewb

Yes, Keep the chain spots away from each other, if they play and get tangled up and freak out, you will have a mess... I'm not sure about how to make a perfect set up, but there are plenty of members here who have wonderful chain set ups and could help you out.

Good luck with the new home, I'm jealous!! Congrats.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
husartrof

1. The yard has no fence. Which means I need to do a tie out? I have been researching but I am not sure which one is the best to use. What do you use? Also, how do you know what collars are tough enough to hold the dog? Why donít you put a dog on a harness and then attach them to the long line. Is a collar better than a harness? How do I know that the chain set up is ok? Do I let the dogs play together on their chains, or should they be away from each other?
http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthre...ht=chain+setup
IF you don't want to use lap links you can use the locks that screw down to the middle(forget what they are called). Axles you can get at the junkyard real cheap, the rest you can get at home depot. Keeping the chains set up to where they can't touch each other is best. That way you can go inside without worrying.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Pateeffelty

AS for the collars to use - Stillwater Kennel Supplies makes them perfect IMHO Stillwater Kennel Supply -- I do not personally own one, but know who does, and it feels sturdy and safe - they come as a 1.5" or 2" with D rings, etc. check the site out.
Is there enough of shade on the property besides the forest surrounding you?
Not a good idea if your dogs' chains/links get tangled, so space them separate.
And congrats!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
antonyandruleit

Thanks you guys. You have really made me happy by being so nice. Honestly, I haven't told anyone. You are the first people I have told. It feels good to at least put it in writting, like it really is official.
We are moving on the 15th but wont acually live there until Dec 15th. I have to finish up my commitments here.

Koley that must be a huge adjustment for you and your family. Congratulations I hope it is going well.
Thanks again friends

Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
erepsysoulptnw

Pitgirl... PM NCPrisonGuard about the tie outs... I'm sure he can help you out there. I'd take the dogs one at a time (if possible) and let them check it out individually.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
Olphander

We just got a leather couch (used, but in good condition) and would like the dogs to be able to come up but I am seeing light streaks from where their nails were. It is not torn just discolored. Is there any way to fix this or do I just have to deal with it?[/SIZE]
As stated before, Leather Conditioner ... I also Have a blanket that I put down on the seat cushions ... Mimi knows she's only allowed on the couch when the blanket is laid out ... Which is pretty much all the time unless we have company

Old 10-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
RealCHEAPsoftDOWNLOAD

Congrats! I think you will love your new home. It will be great for the dogs too, so don't fret, just get busy with those tie outs or chains. Pleeeeeze don't freak out, your dogs will enjoy their time outside.
I use both chains on axles and zip lines. Both require daily looksees for maintenence and if done right will be quite safe.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #17
adoreorerie

I think the first time you take the dogs to the house you should walk them through on a leash. Let them explore and smell everything, but if they start to do the "I'm going to pee" dance-correct them. I would imagine for the most part they're going to realize they're inside and typically that's not a place they're allowed to go. Have you ever brought your dogs to a friend's house? No problems inside right? But like I said the first time, just to make sure. I'd do the same with the yard. Initially if you don't have a tie out or zip line, giving them boundaries might be a good idea. That way when you're out there with them on a leash to let the pee/play they have a good idea of what's expected.

Good luck and congratulations! I'm excited to see pictures.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #18
Switiespils

WOW!!! Your new home sounds wonderful! Surrounded by 50 acres of forest sounds like a dream come true. God was listening!!! And your new work schedule is truly a blessing! Four jobs--I just can't imagine! You'll have to post pictures once you're settled in. Congratulations!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #19
duexjepevef

To be out in the country and not have room for the dogs to be dogs would be a shame.

It would be nice if you could fence off at least part of the property.

It's wonderful to be able to open a door while you are at home and just let the dogs out....

Shame they would have to be attached to SOMETHING all the time they live out in the country where there is room for them to run around....

A fence around the house or at least off one door makes things SO easy when it comes to having dogs and they enjoy it very much.

Carla

Old 10-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #20
Aeaefee

No advice but I'm wishing you the best of luck!

Reply to Thread New Thread