LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Knillagrarp

Disclaimer: The photos were taken after a 2 hr "introduction" where we held the puppy and let Mimi sniff (just to make sure there was no DA [she's been tested successfully with small dogs, never puppies])

She was REALLY enjoying this (her tail was going a mile a minute) ...

Please note the leash and Mimi's tail ...

It was pure torture for the pup! Getting sniffed to death!

Look at Mimi "WTH is wrong w/YOU!?" ...

I'm happy to say that Mimi not only accepted the puppy, she also got put in her place by Brunhilda, and she acted accordingly as a submissive dog should ...

Both her and the 6 week old pup were doing "dueling mountings" (funny to see a 22" dog try to hook a 6" dog with her foot) ... I put a quick stop to that ... "Jack" (the pup) Is going to weight as much and be taller than Mimi ... So she better look out!

I'm happy to report SO FAR, her German Fam has accepted her and made her realize her subordinate place in the fam w/o question ... Only goes to show German dogs rule the roost!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
gactanync

Do I need to ask WHY that dog is wearing a huge prong? lol

Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Knillagrarp

Do I need to ask WHY that dog is wearing a huge prong? lol
The "Pinch" or "Prong" collar is my "training" collar of choice (being that it mimics a mother nipping a pups neck, therefor [for me] dogs get the "correction" faster) ... I find it more HUMANE than the traditional "Choke chain" where you run the risk of collapsing your dogs trachea ... You will notice in pics where she's straining against the "long lead" ... Her traditional collar is attached and not her "Pinch" ...

Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
gactanync

I wasn't asking why you're using a prong, as I use one for training as well... I was asking why you're using a LARGE prong. I know someone with a 70 pound dog, who uses the prong collar with the small links. I also use the small links on my dogs.

No reason to have a LARGE prong collar on a dog that size, is my point. The links for prongs come in SEVERAL sizes.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Knillagrarp

I wasn't asking why you're using a prong, as I use one for training as well... I was asking why you're using a LARGE prong. I know someone with a 70 pound dog, who uses the prong collar with the small links. I also use the small links on my dogs.

No reason to have a LARGE prong collar on a dog that size, is my point. The links for prongs come in SEVERAL sizes.
It is my understanding that you use the recommended size (inches of neck) for the neck ... As you can see her Pinch sits on the surface of her neck ... I have a SMALLER one, but that was used for my mutt who barely weighted 40 lbs (Mimi is 64lbs with a thicker neck) ...

Do you find more success in a smaller "pinch" radius?

Mimi reacts fine to the size collar I have on her ... She's my baby, I would NEVER ABUSE her in an inhumane manner ... I've found great success, as far as reactivity towards the particular collar and the particular size ...

If you have a different theory or results I would love to know ...

Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Knillagrarp

Default SUPER excited!!
Mimi has an "Ugly Stepsister" (German Wirehair) that she gets along with just fine! Awesome BECAUSE GERMAN dogs can be f*cking B*tchy ... Don't argue, it is the truth ...

Brunhilda (The old GWH) is totally cool with Pit Bull "Mimi" ...

WELL! ... Mimi (and Bruna) Are getting a NEW LITTLE step brother! (another GWH) Super excited cause we (Mimi & I) Are gonna be "daycare" for the two of them!!

Gonna be fun! Cause I really want Mimi (even though she's bully breed) to get into being a bird dog with her German Fam ... She's saddled with a German Short Hair, a Weimeriner, a German Short Hair, and (now) 2! German Wire Hairs!

All that stands in her way? Is she Gun Shy? ... :S

Old 10-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
gactanync

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Just make sure to always closely supervise the dogs together, and never leave them alone together

Old 10-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
Knillagrarp

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Just make sure to always closely supervise the dogs together, and never leave them alone together
Oh HUN! I'm from a dog fam! You never leave your dog alone w/o supervision with dogs, kids, or other human beings! :P

Just so you know ... Mimi IS the ULTIMATE WUSS!! ... Doesn't stop me from supervising her friendly ass!

Gonna post pics as soon as I have some!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
gactanync

lol great to hear!

Ruger, my boy, is a HUGE wuss too... it's good to not get lax even though your dog is friendly!

I can't wait to see pics!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
MaickiP

Great to hear! Bella has been in obedience class since we adopted her and she gets along awesome with all of her classmates. Mollie would be the one that was a royal pain due to her selective DA, but Bella thinks every dog is her new best friend!

Reply to Thread New Thread