LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #1
gennick

Default I'm disappointed
Today was the Pit Bull Awareness Day Celebration that was put on by Mayday Pit Bull Rescue and Partners Dog Training. While I am happy that they probably made a lot of money for the rescue dogs and their was some good info on what the breed is really like and being a responsible dog owner, there was a speech by the AZ director of the HSUS, and yes, she did talk about how to spot dog fighting and carpet mills, break sticks, and spring poles were part of it. I made comments to the people that I was with and some others heard but I didn't stand up and say anything. I kind of wish I would have. I'm a big...ummm...cat, I guess.

Then after the speeches, everyone went outside to the booths and there was a small agility course set up for fun. It was a good time and I was impressed by the amount of responsible owners, most everyone handled their dogs well. There were a few bad apples though. Anyway, there was a guy there that was some kind of trainer, not sure if he worked for the dog training place that put it on. He had a very handsome dog that was very large and a bad crop job imo. I think he rescued him. I asked to pet his dog and when my dad came over with Osiris, the guy said "now there is a game breed dog." My dad asked what that meant, he said it was that he was breed for fighting and he could tell by the muscles in his back legs and the way he was standing. Then my fiance asked him if his dog had Presa Canario (sp?) in him, he laughed and said no, he has (I think he said) Highlander and something that starts with an "O" bloodlines. They make pit bulls really big, like 140lbs, he says. At first the guy was telling me stuff about how Osiris was acting with the other dogs and I needed to work on it because he was raising himself up and forward toward the other dogs and that meant he wanted to fight????? Osiris has never even growled at another dog and is afraid of any dog that moves too fast when near him. Granted I know that doesn't mean he will never try but if he supposedly greets dogs in that manner, I would have to assume he would have come across a dog that would want to fight him. Do I sound like a complete idiot here or is this guy missing some nuts and bolts? I will have to say, he put on a little show with his dog and this dog was ridiculously well trained, but other than being a good trainer, I think he is a little off.

Sorry for the book....BTW, this is my dog from a BYB (I know I know)....

One more thing, Osiris is named after the Egyptian God, if one more person says "oh, like the shoes", I am going to flip out.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
husartrof

even at "pit bull awareness" events people are still ignorant. That is why I went to council meetings alone, becaue there is no one close enough that I know that has any real knowledge whatsoever. I know plenty of people who own pit bull type dogs, but IMO would not do any good with their comments. From what I hear from them, "it's all how you raise e'm" and "my pit is the greatest, never bit anyone"

As for the trainer, sounds like a true blue jagoff of the highest standard.

They make 140lb pit bulls...they do not make common sense I see.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
gennick

I think we should just pick a few states and take them over, the majority of this board should move there and have happy little lives with less dog bites, etc... and show what the breed is really like in the right hands. Then tell everyone else to f off.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
Grorointeri

I think we should just pick a few states and take them over, the majority of this board should move there and have happy little lives with less dog bites, etc... and show what the breed is really like in the right hands. Then tell everyone else to f off.
qft

lmfao at the "You need to train your dog"

Old 10-25-2009, 03:14 AM   #5
gennick

qft?

Old 10-25-2009, 04:10 AM   #6
Seasmillets

Osiris is the name of a shoe?

Old 10-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
Jadykeery

I'm down! Can we make one of the states FL? I really like it here.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. In a lot of cases, the HSUS has kicked in some sponsorship money to help pay for the event so they get to drone on about the dog fighting malarkey and hand out posters. When you're dealing with fund-raising, it ALWAYS comes down to politics.

Reply to Thread New Thread