Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
6ZCo3xuK

Default Dog Fighting Bust in Alabama Overwhelms Animal Shelter
Fighting dogs seized

Updated: Wednesday, 02 Sep 2009, 5:47 AM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 01 Sep 2009, 6:50 PM CDT
  • Liz Nelson
MOBILE COUNTY, Ala. - Mobile County animal control officers impounded 27 dogs Tuesday afternoon, during an investigation into dog fighting.
The new additions overcrowded the public shelter on Howells Ferry Road, and put the adoptable dogs in jeopardy of being euthanized.
The fighting dogs will require added space since they must be held for up to 20 days, and possibly longer, because they must be separated from each other and all other dogs. Meantime, the shelter, by law, must continue to pick up strays and house them for a minimum of seven days. The space constraints put the 30 dogs in the adoptable kennels at risk for being euthanized to provide the necessary room.
The fighting dogs, all pit bulls and pit bull mixes, came into county custody after county animal officers were called to 5641 Marshall Road on a complaint of an injured animal.mOfficers discovered the dogs, along with dog fighting equipment and what appeared to be a dog fighting pit. One of the dogs died at the scene and two others were found seriously injured.
Officers were continuing to document the case late Tuesday afternoon and will present the evidence to the District Attorney’s Office Wednesday for possible charges. Dog fighting is a felony in Alabama.
The Mobile County Animal Shelter is located at 7665 Howells Ferry Road.

Video Here:

http://lovinpitts.blogspot.com/2009/...overwhelm.html

Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
RogerButton33

My heart sinks when I hear about these things. I cannot get over the fact that people still do these things all the time. Lord knows how many dogs out there haven't been saved and lord knows what will happen in some places to the dogs that are saved. Hopefully these dogs like the Vicktory dogs, will be given another chance to live a happy healthy life!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
carfAball

lord knows what will happen in some places to the dogs that are saved. Hopefully these dogs like the Vicktory dogs, will be given another chance to live a happy healthy life!
The homes just are not there. So many of these dogs will have to be put down, -- because the homes are not there; or be tortured and rot in a cage -- because the homes are not there; or cause other dogs to be displaced and put down -- because there are no homes for these hundreds of bust dogs.

What have we really won with the "victory" of the Vick dogs?

Some are okay with the bust dogs just being "saved". The fact they will have to live in confinement the rest of their lives doesn't seem to register.

Carla

Old 05-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
RogerButton33

The homes just are not there. So many of these dogs will have to be put down, -- because the homes are not there; or be tortured and rot in a cage -- because the homes are not there; or cause other dogs to be displaced and put down -- because there are no homes for these hundreds of bust dogs.

Some are okay with the bust dogs just being "saved". The fact they will have to live in confinement the rest of their lives doesn't seem to register.

Carla
Carla,

I guess I just have to try to keep positive and hope for the best. While I know we cannot save every one is it so bad to hope? I don't see where it hurts to have a little wishful thinking. My cup is half full, not half empty.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Bobobsdo

Carla
Great post, Carla.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Jffxljtw

What are you talking about, living in confinement? I understand some who were not good candidates for placing are in sanctuaries, but I think that is certainly better than the small kennel Vick had... Not to mention they aren't being treated like garbage.

Ugh, that poor bitch with no eye.. She looks so freaked out... And no, there are not enough homes for every dog, least of all ones who have been abused and used in fighting. It's just sad... The ONLY reason Vick's dogs got a fair chance is because he is famous. I doubt any of the dogs seized will make it, but at the very least they're die without cruelty.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Thifiadardivy

What are you talking about, living in confinement? I understand some who were not good candidates for placing are in sanctuaries, but I think that is certainly better than the small kennel Vick had... Not to mention they aren't being treated like garbage.

Ugh, that poor bitch with no eye.. She looks so freaked out... And no, there are not enough homes for every dog, least of all ones who have been abused and used in fighting. It's just sad... The ONLY reason Vick's dogs got a fair chance is because he is famous. I doubt any of the dogs seized will make it, but at the very least they're die without cruelty.
Save them only to kill them eh? That is the "humane" way LOL

Old 05-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
tuszit

Give the dogs to the owner and go lock up some rapists and murders.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
6ZCo3xuK

Umm, Ya, that sounds like a great idea.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
feseEscaple

LowLife im with you on that one.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
Smalmslobby

Yep I gotta agree here... stop worrying so much about what people are doing with their dogs.... spent those resources on catching child molesters, and rapists... maybe we wouldn't have convicted sex offenders kid napping children and holding them for over a decade while the cops stage SWAT team bust on "dog fighters"

Old 07-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
tuszit

Umm, Ya, that sounds like a great idea.
Yes, it is a great idea. You know innocent until proven guilty? Then you can take them and euthanize them or what ever you would like to do with someone else property.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #13
anderriter

Stop lockin up the dogs and lock-up the ones that fight them!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:41 AM   #14
Bobobsdo

Did you know that for a long time after Best Friends took in some "Vick dogs", they were insistent upon housing them 2 to a kennel and numerous fights were breaking out repeatedly? So is it ok for BFF to throw 2 dogs in a kennel together and allow a fight to happen but it was wrong for Vick to do a very similar thing?

Is it really ok to think that a dog just loves being waved to and told "You're such a pretty pittie" as it's food and water is shoved to it? Is 15 minutes a day an adequate amount of human interaction time? Well, if it's wrong for Vick to give a dog 15 minutes of attention and that's it, why is it not wrong for someone else to do the very same thing just in a different setting?

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: Just because a dog is alive doesn't mean it's living.

Maybe we should start doing what's right by the dogs and not what is "right" by our own egos. Stop feeding the bleeding hearts and start actually giving a damn about what those dogs need and desire.

Reply to Thread New Thread