LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
soprofaxel

Default Major drama this morning, Thor got into fight with neighbors pit
Well, after reading everyone else's stories on here I knew it would happen to me eventually. I got up this morning to walk Thor in my neighborhood and all of a sudden I see a stray pitbull heading right toward him. Before I even had a chance to turn back to my house the two of them got into it. I had no choice but to let the leash go, and let them have at it. I had to call my boyfriend and he came out and was able to break the dogs up, but the pitbull had no collar on so he wasn't as easy to restrain. We got Thor in the house, but the pit then went after another dog also being walked by it's owner. She started screaming and crying and my boyfriend had to jump in again and he got the dogs separated while I ran in the house to get a collar and a leash to put on the pit.

I was going to go look around in the neighborhood to see if I could find the owner but by that time the BF was pretty pissed off and said if the owners are that irresponsible to let their dog get out then it was better off being picked up by AC. I called animal control but felt bad because the pit was a sweetheart with people, just not so good around other dogs. Finally I see two teenage kids wandering the neighborhood, holding a leash and collar and it turns out it was one of the neighbor's dogs that got out of an unlocked gate. It pissed me off because when we told them what happened, they were like whatever, like it was no big deal. Fortunately none of the dogs were hurt, but it really pained me to have to give that poor pit back to it's stupid owners, I mean how hard is it to keep a gate locked.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
BrianGoldsmith

Im so sorry you had to deal with this. Its owners like that that give these guys a bad name. So glad you guys is ok.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
tetMitshisk

and who said you had to give it back... if you had the collar and leash on it by then you could have held it and waited for AC and let the teenagers deal with them....
not criticising your actions, you did what you felt was best... just don't want you to feel forced to do something you think is the wrong thing to do...

Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
creewespock

I am glad Thor is okay but ALWAYS carry a breakstick with you just in case. To let two pit bulls have at it is very dangerous.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
soprofaxel

and who said you had to give it back... if you had the collar and leash on it by then you could have held it and waited for AC and let the teenagers deal with them....
not criticising your actions, you did what you felt was best... just don't want you to feel forced to do something you think is the wrong thing to do...
I hear you, I just felt bad because here in Vegas pits are given no chance in shelters, if an owner doesn't claim a stray dog within a day or two it's automatically euthanized. They'll put down a pit that is DA but adopt out another dog that was turned in for biting a kid. This particular dog was one of the sweetest creatures I'd ever seen, I didn't want that to happen to him.

@Deniselynn: My dog is actually a Cane Corso, will a breakstick work on him?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
rsdefwgxvcfdts

I am glad Thor is okay but ALWAYS carry a breakstick with you just in case. To let two pit bulls have at it is very dangerous.
Yep. I'm glad everything turned out ok.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Msrwbdas

Kris - I am so glad to hear that nothing happened to Thor or the other dogs and those kids should not have gotten their dog back, I know that you don't want it to go to AC butif the kids can't take care of it, then it shouldn't be with them

ANd yes a breakstick will work on Thor, you should definately check into getting one and keeping it handy on your walks, even if you never have to use it on Thor, if this ever happens again you can use it on the pit bull or other dog.

Hugs I am sorry this happened to you, but I am super happy nothing happened to Thor

Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
Serereids

Sorry, I know I am not Denise but yeah, a break stick will work on him if he doesn't want to let go. It is always good to have one nearby in case this happens so that the other dog's owner could use it to get the dog off.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
soprofaxel

Sorry, I know I am not Denise but yeah, a break stick will work on him if he doesn't want to let go. It is always good to have one nearby in case this happens so that the other dog's owner could use it to get the dog off.
Thanks, I thought they could only be used on pits. But how do you break up a fight if you're the only one there? I was by myself, the other dog's owner only showed up an hour after the whole thing happened. During the scrap I was afraid to tie my dog up because I didn't want to leave him defenseless if he was being attacked.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
rsdefwgxvcfdts

Thanks, I thought they could only be used on pits. But how do you break up a fight if you're the only one there? I was by myself, the other dog's owner only showed up an hour after the whole thing happened. During the scrap I was afraid to tie my dog up because I didn't want to leave him defenseless if he was being attacked.
Here is a thread on how to use a breakstick. Again, I'm glad everything turned out ok.

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=1513

Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
nebrarlepleme

I thought you could only use a break stick on a 'Pit bull"
Because the way other dogs fight is completly different?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
Janarealiti

A break stick will work on any dog so long as you can handle them in a fight and you know they won't turn and snap at you. You have to watch our for the bite being redirected towards you. They work great with APBT's due to their breeding and history, but you won't find me using one on a ex. German Shepherd or a variety of other dogs.

I would have to say it is more about what happens when the fight is broken up. Some dogs when fighting will also snap a lot at whatever is moving. They are not looking to bite and hold (this is where a break stick would come in to seperate) A snapping dog may not intentionally bite you but get your hands around them in a fight and you will be bit.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
rsdefwgxvcfdts

I thought so too, but Purple put some really good information towards the end of this thread on breaksticks:

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?t=1513

Old 05-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #14
Serereids

I wouldn't try using one on a dog that bites and lets go constantly. You are asking to be bitten in that case. A break stick is used to pry open the mouth of a dog that doesn't want to let go. There are plenty of dogs out there that aren't pit bulls that won't want to let go.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #15
n2Oddw8P

A break stick can be used on any dog that bites and doesn't let go (usually terrier types but Mastiffs as well). The reason break sticks are usually used on Pit Bull type dogs is because they are bred not to redirect their bite onto a human. Your hand will be right next to the dogs mouth so just be careful.

And yes, DA dogs (especially bully breeds) don't stand much of a chance here in Vegas. DA is faulted more than HA!

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Like 4 people answered the same exact thing when I was typing that. Lmao

Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #16
rsdefwgxvcfdts

Well, I personally would not use a breakstick on a chihuahua You can use toothpicks for that breed..

Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
soprofaxel

Well, I personally would not use a breakstick on a chihuahua You can use toothpicks for that breed..
Or popsicle sticks

Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
immewaycypef

Poor dogs. I know someowners are so irresponsible, however accidents do happen. And the breed is (mostly) DA, so placing fault on either dog just feels wrong.

Recently at a dog show, a lady was walking her dog, and clearly breaking a few rules (retractable leash, dog out of cage and not showing, etc) and in one instance, she was standing there, the next her dog was dragging her face down and attacking another dog-Hubby made the comment how he would have kicked the dog in the head and blah blah and I instantly felt bad for the dog-who was being kicked in the head-because it was not his fault. It is natural.

Im glad you and your boyfriend and dog are ok. Flame me, but I dont even blame the other dog. The woners-maybe, but like I said, getting thru a gate-accidents happen, and at least they came looking for him which is alot more then they can say they do around here!!!!!!

PS-Im feeling "fogiving" today lol.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
n2Oddw8P

Or a well aimed kick...

JK!!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
rsdefwgxvcfdts

Or popsicle sticks

Or a well aimed kick...

Reply to Thread New Thread