LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
GOLAGLULT

Default Spoke too soon- First Off Leash Experience
So, I responded to a thread saying how I have NEVER come across an off-leash dog on my many walks with Lotto and this rainy Monday morning of course...here it comes.

This big German Shepard off leash comes charging at us..first instinct, walk the other direction..then I'm standing there freaking out because he's still coming and I have no idea what this dog is about to do....so, I get myself between them both and start saying No, Stop, anything I can think of...luckily, he's very friendly and seems harmless enough..Lotto is a big wimp and loves other animals so of course he's ready to play, but I'm still wary and just decide it's best to head back. I'm walking back to my home being chased by the German, who's just peeing on what he wants then charging back up to Lotto to begin the play time all over again.

Get to my door, I tell Lotto to sit, which he does, and so does the German Shepard..RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY DOOR!! So I'm like move, get, shoo fly...anything!! The stupid owner I can hear whisting for the dog, who obviously has no recall whatsoever! He finally walks up with another German Shepard ON LEASH, and calls the dog over....so I was like it's a very good thing he is friendly, but you realize this is unacceptable...DIDn'T SPEAK ENGLISH!! WTF??

This could have been sooo sooo bad, I'm just glad the dog was friendly, but really, it was raining, pouring, I don't have time to be play chased by another dog and blocked out of my own house! And then my dog is all slobbed down and wet and talk about frustrated!!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
plogypeskelry

Only once did I have a similiar situation. But I had the GSD, and a big huge muscled pibble came up to me. Thankfully he was a big mush face, and just wanted to play. Gorgeous boy and the owner said that they just found him and didn't know if they were going to keep him, and knew he could get out of thier yard. Haven't seen him since, but oh he was gorgeous.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
ServiceColas

It really gets your heart racing doesnt it? Im so glad that the dog was friendly.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Liaptoono

So annoying. I was walking to do errands the other day, with the kids, no dog, and some guys got a puppy not on a leash right by the busiest of roads. Then the pup starts trying to run into the damn road. I couldn't help but say really loud ''THAT'S WHAT THEY MAKE LEASHES FOR.'' Not quite enough that it was a yell, but just enough that I know he heard me dispite ignoring me.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
zCLadw3R

People that don't have their dogs on leashes irk me as much as people that let their kids run loose in a store or restaurant. grrr!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
GOLAGLULT

I'm just thinking how bad it could have been if they started fighting...Lotto has been "attacked" by smaller dogs, who after appearing friendly, suddenly attacked and grabbed hold of his ears...he would just yelp, but never try to bite back....they easily were pulled off, but in this case...OMG...I didn't realize how unprepared I was until it happened and it very well could have been too late

Old 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Liaptoono

Do you have a breaking stick? I always carry a breaking stick and muzzle when I walk, just in case.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
GOLAGLULT

No I have to find something that will work in the meantime though for sure..this scared the crap out of me...

I just hope if the dog had turned on me, that Lotto would have jumped in to help or something....I don't even know if I want that though, now that I think about it.

I'm all freaked out!! The more and more I go over it in my head...it's over...breathe...but dam man....that just was not cool, friendly or not!!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
AcecePesFeacy

Yeah, it totally does get the heart going like freight train.

I walk both my dogs at the same time and I can't tell you how many times I have been taking them for a walk and unleashed dogs have ran up 2 us. There is a High School down the street from me. It has a few soccer fields, a football pratice field a lacross field and a ton on extra land. It is a place where people walk their dogs. Everytime I see "Fluffy" the "oh don't worry he is a nice dog" (as the owner who is like 30 yards away yells 2 me) I roll my eyes, shake my head and yell back, "but mine are not" then I get all 125lbs of me "into position". That would be both dogs sitting right on each side of me and me holding onto the back of their harnesses. So far nothing has happened but I'd rather be safe than sorry ya know. Buffy is friendly w/ other dogs but Spanky is not, he runs very hot or cold. He loves Buffy but thats pretty much it as far as dogs go. Buffy will try 2 pull 2 get 2 another dog so she can play with it, then at the same time I will have Spanky either ignoring the other dog, lunging at it or trying 2 bite Buffys paws (like he is a jealous husband and doesnt want his girl talking 2 anyone else).

I just don't understand why it is soooo hard for people 2 put a leash on their dog?
--I am glad everything worked out good for you and Lotto.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
GOLAGLULT

What's more, is why he thought only one of his dogs needed to be on a leash?? I can understand now, obviously that one is friendly, so not much to worry about...BUT...what if Lotto was DA and decided OK great...a pretty german shepard face I can bite off...then MY DOG is put to sleep or I'm sued or fined or whatever....

The whole situation just makes me more and more angry. He took soooo long to come find his dog too, I could hear him whistling as I walked back to my house, but couldn't see him for at least 5 minutes!! UGH...I think if it happens again with that dog anyway, I'll just take the dog. He obviously wanted to come home with Lotto and Me and Lotto can have a good friend! The owner obviously couldn't have cared less either way..I just don't get it!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
ServiceColas

Exactly!! I get the "Theyre Friendly" ALL the damn time. Do I give a crap that their friendly? NO! Mine are NOT friendly a$$hole, so do what Im doing and leash your dog!

Youve hit a nerve with me on this one, NOTHING Pi$$es me off more then people who walk their dogs without leashes.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
Lerpenoaneway

Glad it didn't escalate. If that happened to me I would have rushed to find a translator.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #13
Liaptoono

No I have to find something that will work in the meantime though for sure..this scared the crap out of me...
You can make your own really easily out of hammer handle. They sell the handles at hardware stores really cheap. Here's a how to link.

http://www.pbrc.net/misc/breakstick_howto.pdf

Old 04-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
GOLAGLULT

Thanks Zoe, I actually have a hammer that the head fell off...I'll be keeping that with me at all times.

I feel your frustration Alma! I was paranoid the whole time I was walking him yesterday afterwards, and even this morning I did a survey of the field before going out...it shouldn't even be like that if people would just take care of their animals! I mean it's as much to protect them as our own

Old 04-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #15
ServiceColas

Its like you have to be paranoid before you even step out the door. It sucks really, because leashing your dogs is the LAW. We shouldnt have to deal with this bs, its just plain wrong. Dont those people care about their dogs? Makes no sense to me at all.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Liaptoono

Its like you have to be paranoid before you even step out the door. It sucks really, because leashing your dogs is the LAW. We shouldnt have to deal with this bs, its just plain wrong. Dont those people care about their dogs? Makes no sense to me at all.
No doubt. Gaud.... it's like getting ready to go to bloody war everytime I leave the house.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
ServiceColas

Mmmmhmmmmm.. And the whole time your out there, your looking over your shoulder or scanning the distance for the slightest movement of a stray or unleashed dog. Its kinda crazy, but, something we all have to do..

Old 04-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #18
Liaptoono

The kids are totally trained to watch for dogs.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
DINAKuncher

Man, you guys are lucky to even be able to walk your dogs! I can't even walk my dogs because my dumba$$ neighbors think its ok to let their mutt dogs run loose through the whole neighborhood! Seriously, I can't walk out my front door without seeing some dog trotting down the street unattended, or taking a crap in my front yard. I'm sorry to say, but it's gotten to the point to where I keep a BB gun by the front door. It's just so unfair! I've called animal control on these dogs so many times, but half the time they don't even bother coming out! And when they do they don't do anything! My dogs got out one time and followed some kids home who had just gotten off the bus, they were playing with them and wagging their tails, not even an hour later animal control was knocking on my door to issue me a warning. Ooooooh, I got SO mad, I really let that guy have it even though he probably didn't deserve my wrath. So appearently if you call Harris County and report loose mutts its ok, even when they are chasing kids on bikes and biting at their feet or blocking traffic by laying in the road or ripping apart other people's trash, but if it's a Pit Bull, God help us all the world is coming to an end! Man this just heats me up!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
ServiceColas

Thats SUCKS Lieander, I cant even imagine having to deal with that. Theres a lady by me who insists on letting her pug run around the neighborhood, who happened to once run up on Jesse.. luckily she just sorta looked at him like, Are you kidding me, and walked along. But, it could have ended much worse for that pug for sure.

Reply to Thread New Thread