LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
immoceefe

Default True to the Blue?
Trying to see if anyone can give me some useful information and history regarding blue coats. Louis Colby stated :"As a boy growing up, and listening to multiple conversations between my father and visitors such as Collagan, Heinzl Vose, Donovan, and other dogmen from all over the country..never did the word blue appear. There never was a blue Colby dog in my father's yard, nor mine.To my knowledge there was never a blue colored dog reported in any match or sporting event." Does this just hold with the Colby line? I also noticed under a APBT conformation page that the blue coat was accepted by the UKC,ADBA, and AKC. I tried going back as far as possible with old blood lines....and I could not find any blue coats. Is the blue coat something derived from a diluted form of black or is it now due to the cross breedings (eg. Mastiffs)? any info would be great.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
gkruCRi1

Blue is a diluted black. Back in the old days it was referred to as grey, and I've never heard of a grey dog producing another grey dog. It certainly was intentionally bred for.

Today, the blue color is a selling point thus it's intentionally bred for. And because of that, it's turned more into a washed out color than what an original grey was.l

(also, a few dogmen were skeptical of grey dogs....kind of a supserstition I guess)

Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
gunhijala

Yeah, I believe most grey (blue) dogs were just culled.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
lrUyiva1

its the same with dobermans. black dillutes as blue and red dillutes as fawn.

Reply to Thread New Thread