DiscussWorldIssues - Socio-Economic Religion and Political Uncensored Debate

DiscussWorldIssues - Socio-Economic Religion and Political Uncensored Debate (http://www.discussworldissues.com/forums/)
-   Pets Forum (http://www.discussworldissues.com/forums/pets-forum/)
-   -   Tazer starts doggy day care next week!! (http://www.discussworldissues.com/forums/pets-forum/218691-tazer-starts-doggy-day-care-next-week.html)

soSldI4i 03-13-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

So anyone with a pit has to keep their dog secluded,I totally disagree.Isn't socialization a must ? As soon as my pup is finished w/ his shots I will be searching out playmates. I want my dog to be raised with my family and our dog friends,who also have pits that have NEVER shown agression and all play together,I think if you keep them seperated from other dogs then they become more agressive? Just my thoughts and oppinion,Thanks and Why would I want a dog that I cant take everywhere w/ me,and I have had pits my whole life so im not ignorant and have never even seen a breakstick? Maybe we have mellow pits in hawaiihttp://www.pitbull-chat.com/images/smilies/sonn_u11.gif
Wow!!! If you think your not ignorant....you sure could have fooled me!

suidinguilelf 03-13-2009 03:56 PM

I agree with sd_dogger. I think these places are nothing more than glorified dog parks. They are an accident waiting to happen regardless of what breed the dog is.

maui's moko...just because a young pup is socialized with other dogs, doesn't mean it won't become DA at some point in it's life.
My scottie stayed with her breeder until she was 6mo old. She had constant interaction with at least 7 other scotties and a rottweiler. We continued the socialization after she came home with us. She is now 5 yrs old and would like to try to kill almost every dog she meets.

Peretool 03-13-2009 04:23 PM

So what kind of training class's would be recommended? Something that's just a one on one class, with no other dog interaction?

Erawise 03-13-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

So anyone with a pit has to keep their dog secluded,I totally disagree.Isn't socialization a must ? As soon as my pup is finished w/ his shots I will be searching out playmates. I want my dog to be raised with my family and our dog friends,who also have pits that have NEVER shown agression and all play together,I think if you keep them seperated from other dogs then they become more agressive? Just my thoughts and oppinion,Thanks and Why would I want a dog that I cant take everywhere w/ me,and I have had pits my whole life so im not ignorant and have never even seen a breakstick? Maybe we have mellow pits in hawaiihttp://www.pitbull-chat.com/images/smilies/sonn_u11.gif
Any responsible owner of a APBT will not let their dog have play date's, and other absurd things like that I do not care how mellow you think your dog is. Socialization really has nothing to do with it in my opinion...this for sure is not a breed for everyone, and it is becoming very apparent as to who should, and should not own this breed. People who take their dog's on playdates, doggy daycare, and dog parks are defininetly not the ones who need this breed of dog.....or any other breed of dog for that matter as they are asking for problems when they put their dog into that situation, and the dog is the one who pays for it, and the "owner" is saying well I never thought that would happen or something stupid like that. Also if you own APBT, and you do not see the need for a breakstick then yes you are correct in saying you are not ignorant....you are completely insane. Anyway have a great day.

ppfpooghn 03-13-2009 06:38 PM

You can socalize the living crap out of a dog, if it's going to be DA it will be and then the owner comes on forums crying because their dog has "always liked other dogs" and they "socalized" them so what's the problem? The problem is this breed was created to fight other dogs. It's not rocket science and just because your dog shows no DA now doesn't mean he will be ok with other forever, most fights start at the drop of a hat, would you rather be there when it happens or have your dog in the hands of someone who isn't prepared for it?
I don't even let my dogs around each other when I am gone, the sitter takes them out separately because I don't trust anyone else to be level headed enough to do what needs to be done before a dog is dead. Most people are just going to freak out or start causing damage to your dog because they don't have a clue how to break up a fight. My dogs behave around other dogs on a leash, that's all they need to do, they don't need "friends", they aren't horribly DA but they also won't back down or take it lightly if another dog starts crap. Plus one bad experience at doggy daycare could very well be the turning point for your dog where they become highly reactive.

Erawise 03-13-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

I think it is awesome that you found a daycare for your puppy. I was looking at daycare for vito a couple days a week, but haven't come across any place i like, and that has experience with bully breeds. the one place I wanted to take him, the people there who I really liked ended up leaving and starting their own place.. with no daycare. I think all dogs that have lots of "playdates" have a much better chance of not being DA regardless of their breed and whats in their dna. so if you can have people that you know and trust look out for your puppy while he gets to meet other dogs I would say why the hell not.
You can not train out genetics.

alicewong 03-14-2009 07:29 AM

I'm noy saying train out anything im just saying socialize thats all,and i also said that i have never even SEEN a breakstick not that it isn't needed at all just i have never seen one here , I was also saying that my experiences with my pits were all positive not ONE FIGHT in 39 years, what you all seem to say is that All bull breeds are DA and ALL pits will create a problem at one time or another and I dont belive that .There are people who breed for temprament and if the dogs are aggresive they dont breed them.I know I know then its not a true pit then i prefer a fake one!! Its kinda a two way battle you all want the true game pit or the typical pit and want the world to embrace them ?then breed for temprament insted of gameness or keep them locked up im sure that makes a real nice dog.The way i see it,it aint working both ways. Whateverhttp://www.pitbull-chat.com/images/smilies/confused.pngI think this fourm is very closed minded and offeres no advise that is positive just bark out your veiws and everyone else is ignorant if they think somethin else. Well im done here and I have enjoyed my three days here and will continue enjoying my new puppy in harmony without being belittled by someone who thinks all dogs are alike !!!!!! alohahttp://www.pitbull-chat.com/images/s...ankUsmiley.gif also means goodbye

Pwy9egVW 03-14-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

I'm noy saying train out anything im just saying socialize thats all,and i also said that i have never even SEEN a breakstick not that it isn't needed at all just i have never seen one here , I was also saying that my experiences with my pits were all positive not ONE FIGHT in 39 years, what you all seem to say is that All bull breeds are DA and ALL pits will create a problem at one time or another and I dont belive that .There are people who breed for temprament and if the dogs are aggresive they dont breed them.I know I know then its not a true pit then i prefer a fake one!! Its kinda a two way battle you all want the true game pit or the typical pit and want the world to embrace them ?then breed for temprament insted of gameness or keep them locked up im sure that makes a real nice dog.The way i see it,it aint working both ways. Whateverhttp://www.pitbull-chat.com/images/smilies/confused.pngI think this fourm is very closed minded and offeres no advise that is positive just bark out your veiws and everyone else is ignorant if they think somethin else. Well im done here and I have enjoyed my three days here and will continue enjoying my new puppy in harmony without being belittled by someone who thinks all dogs are alike !!!!!! alohahttp://www.pitbull-chat.com/images/s...ankUsmiley.gif also means goodbye
You say that because there is dog aggression in this breed, that people breeding dogs with this trait aren't breeding for temperament? That is very not true. They breed for correct temperament. If you take out one trait associated with this breed, like dog aggression, you may be breeding dogs that aren't stable elsewhere. They might be HA, or they might just not be stable. The APBT is great as it is, for a responsible owner. That's like telling people with weimaraners to breed out the small animal aggression in them. Or greyhounds or huskies. Dogs of any breed can be DA, but there are more APBTs that are than aren't. I have a weimaraner that I got because it killed the family's bunny, and they were just going to put him to sleep because he's "too agressive", well, gee....I wonder, a hunting dog, with strong hunting instincts, even bird trained.....what is it going to do with a small animal loose? Common sence, people. Gee....a dog that's been bred for hundreds of years to fight other dogs......what is it going to do with another dog loose? Think about it. If you want a dog that is less likely to be DA, there are plenty of breeds out there that were bred to be in a pack with other dogs, like harriers, beagles, foxhounds, etc. Even they can be dog aggressive, though.

IMHO putting a dog of any kind in a doggy daycare or dog park, or play date is a bad idea, even if you THINK you know your dog, what do you know about the other dogs there? That their OWNER says they are good? I've got news for you, from grooming dogs for my profession, if I believed people every time they told me their dog was a perfect angel, I would be a lot more beat up than I am. When people tell me how perfect their dog is, it almost always turns up to be a little deamon in the grooming salon, ask any groomer, we all get that little chuckle inside of us when we hear that. I also know a person who is in the same TDI club as Lucy and I are (Lucy is my pit bull, and yes, she is DA, but I CONTROLL IT, AND IT IS NOT BY ANY MEANS TRAINED OUT OF HER, IT IS CONTROLLED) and at the salon where I work, we saw her "perfect" little dalmation as she claims, attack a dog while they were waiting to be checked in (both dogs and owners were in waiting area) There used to be a "perfect" goldendoodle that came into our salon, until we had to tell the owner he can only come when no other dogs are there, because he broke a grooming noose, to attack a dog that was on another table. I also knew a person that went to a dog park, and ended up with a $2000 emergency vet bill to keep her dog alive after it was attacked by 2 labradors. Her dog was an English Bulldog. That money came out of her pocket, 'cause there is no way to trace the owners of the dogs that go there.......

PaulCameron 07-03-2009 04:21 PM

Tazer starts doggy day care next week!!

I havent been on here much lately. I started a new job as an IT manager. While for the first month I was able to bring Tazer to work with me, My office is quite large so he could accually romp around and while it was very nice having him here with me. The boss decided it wasnt such a good idea. So now, during the 50 hours a week Im gone, Tazer spends time between my girls house and my mothers home. Which is working out. But I still would like to relieve them of so much responisibility with Taze.
So.. My girls sister works at my vets office, she also works at doggy day care along with her boyfriend part time. The nice thing about this place is that they do not discriminate among breeds. From what I hear its a great place. They do different age group play time. Ofcourse with small and large breeds separated. Im going for a tour of the place tomorrow. But from what I hear about it, Im already convinced. Not to mention that he will be going on a couple of the days where he already knows two of the workers very well.
Heres a link to their site. http://www.petrest.com/index.htm

I had tazer in the other day for his kennel cough vac. So now hes all good for daycare. I think its going to be great for him. He is very social and loves all other animals and people. Im going to try and sneak a few pictures of the place while Im there tomorrow.
anyway, wish tazer luck on his big day tuesday.

PaulCameron 11-03-2009 07:19 PM

Well, Tazer had his big first day at day care. From what I hear he had a great time and played with any and all dogs that came near him. They said he got along with everyone and everyone got along with him. They even sent me a cell phone video clip of them all playing. It looked great! I for some reason cants get the video off my cell to the computer yet. It was really funny, when I walked in to pick him up last night he was all strutting around like he was hot shit. Then he seen me and went all nutso like he hadnt seen me in a week.
All in all it was a good experience and I wouldnt hesitate in taking him there again.
I plan on him going two days a week so far.

mbaueee 11-03-2009 07:21 PM

Glad to hear things went well, you're lucky you could find a place that would take a bully breed, most daycares won't take them.

DoctorTentonyya 11-03-2009 07:42 PM

Thats great!! I wish I could let my dogs play with other dogs, but we arent there quite yet. http://www.pitbull-chat.com/images/smilies/smile.png Im glad hes enjoying himself, thats awesome!

Pwy9egVW 11-03-2009 11:24 PM

Doggy Daycare is not a place for any pit bull breed. What are you going to do when he gets into a fight there. Its not an if, it is a when. Weather or not he starts it, it will be blamed on him, and you will be the fault of another headline, and another nail in the coffin for this breed. How do you even think doggy daycare is a good idea? Let me guess, do you bring your dog to a dog park? Honestly, PLEASE research the breed more and TAKE YOUR DOG OUT OF DOGGY DAYCARE

PaulCameron 11-03-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Doggy Daycare is not a place for any pit bull breed. What are you going to do when he gets into a fight there. Its not an if, it is a when. Weather or not he starts it, it will be blamed on him, and you will be the fault of another headline, and another nail in the coffin for this breed. How do you even think doggy daycare is a good idea? Let me guess, do you bring your dog to a dog park? Honestly, PLEASE research the breed more and TAKE YOUR DOG OUT OF DOGGY DAYCARE
The owners of this place have had/breed bully breeds for many years. A majority of the dogs there are actually bull terriers. I have seen this place in action. Its not like they just let all the dogs run wild amongst themselves. They will get a small group of dogs together take them all out and watch them do their thing. They also find what dogs get along with each other and what ones do not. So over time they pretty much have formed play groups. They are always monitored when together and any dogs that are DA are taken out by themselves. These people are very good here and know what they are doing. IMO this is no different that any of us getting together for a play date for our dogs. Their website is somewhat misleading showing alot of small dogs and non bully breed dogs. But when you walk in the place. there is alot of bullies.

Of course there is always a possibility of a fight. I would never say that it couldnt happen. But I do trust these people to take care of my dog and make sure that all the dogs are safe.
Tazer is still a pup at 7 months and I think being around other dogs often will only further the socialization he needs.

I would have appreciated a few questions first before a bashing. And also just because someone may not share your same ideas doesnt mean its a bad thing.

Fertassa 11-04-2009 04:44 AM

As a daycare worker I think that some bullies can do well in daycare with the RIGHT workers. Since Tazer said that the owners have owned bully breeds and that there were some workers that really knew him then I say go for it.

Obviously stop if he develops any sign of DA but IMHO I truly think that in the right group of dogs with the right workers some bully breeds can do well and enjoy daycare.

Pwy9egVW 12-04-2009 03:46 AM

Bully breeds should not be in a daycare setting. The same goes for "doggy play dates" they are a bad idea all around, and if you seem to think otherwise, DO MORE RESEARCH you are just fooling yourself. If you want a breed of dog you can do that stuff with, why did you pick a pit bull?

hereiamguy 12-04-2009 03:56 AM

I think it is awesome that you found a daycare for your puppy. I was looking at daycare for vito a couple days a week, but haven't come across any place i like, and that has experience with bully breeds. the one place I wanted to take him, the people there who I really liked ended up leaving and starting their own place.. with no daycare. I think all dogs that have lots of "playdates" have a much better chance of not being DA regardless of their breed and whats in their dna. so if you can have people that you know and trust look out for your puppy while he gets to meet other dogs I would say why the hell not.

StitsVobsaith 12-04-2009 04:09 AM

I think it's great that he is doing well with the other dogs. But, just a thought, do they have break sticks to break up a fight if one breaks out? If not, would you be willing to provide them with a couple? It's just a thought, but if they don't have one, and your bully breed is there, I'd want someone there to have a break stick. And if they are familiar with the breed, then they are familiar with this breed having dog aggression that turns on in the blink of an eye, and are always watching the dogs like a hawk. Let us know how things go, I hope everything turns out well for everyone. http://www.pitbull-chat.com/images/smilies/smile.png

alicewong 12-04-2009 04:36 AM

Erawise 12-04-2009 04:56 AM

I feel it is a very poor call to have a APBT or any dog similar in breed to an APBT in a "doggy daycare". Misinformed decisions such as this are part of the reason they are banning/discriminating against our dogs...I think it would be very beneficial if you heeded the warnings that have been given to you in this situation. The APBT is a liability to put into some program like this, as most dogs are....doggy daycare is in general a bad idea for any dog or dog owner sooner or later a situation is bound to happen APBT or not this is something I would try to avoid at all costs. Several things could happen while your dog is in there.