LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
mymnduccete

Default Dogs riding in pickups
I so wish people would learn or maybe just think once in a while. Every time I see a dog dead on the highway or expressway I just know it fell or jumped from the back of a truck. People think it looks so cool to have their dogs riding on the toolbox or with its front legs on the side , ears blowing in the wind. Their dogs love it ,they say. So what happens when the driver has to brake suddenly? When another vehicle bumps theirs? When the dog becomes overly excited and slips? How cool is a dead dog? Even if the dog doesn't fall there are things to think about such as eye injury from bugs, rocks and other airborne objects. The only way a dog should be in the back of a truck is in a crate that is latched down so as not to slide or possibly a three way restraint and googles.
Sunday afternoon we saw a large dog with collar and leash running down our street. A woman followed in a car trying to catch this dog. She was not the owner but had witnessed the dog falling out of a truck. then being hit by traffic twice. Today I spotted the dog a few streets over and tried to get her. She was interested in the weiners I tossed her but couldn't eat them, her jaw appeared to be broken. She ran away. Everytime I tried to get close she ran toward busier streets. I figured I was doing more harm than good. I called Lost Pet hotline, the Humane society and a shelter. No one had reported this dog missing!! I feel so badly for this poor animal. I went out at midnight to take her some water and found her for the third time today. She ran , I came home. Any suggestions on what I can do for this dog? I didn't want to call animal control but that might be her best bet.
Where I live it is against the law for a dog to ride in the back of a truck but I see it everyday. Here in Texas some people feel it is their God given right to do this. Dead dogs are not cool.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
weluvjessicaalba

I'm glad I have an SUV. That makes the first time. lol. But really, that is sad that people let that happen to their beloved animals...

Old 03-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
UnduttRit

I would call AC. Even though the dog will more than likely be euthanized its better than running around with severe injuries and being in pain.Thats crazy that it fell out of the truck and the owners didnt stop.If I were the lady who saw it I would have gotten a liscense plate number.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
dogdesign

I agree, do you know how your local AC is? I've never had a run in with mine but putting a dog to sleep is better than having her running around with a broken jaw, poor baby.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
moohassinny

GAUD! I get so pissed off when I see dogs in the back of a truck like that! Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!

Old 03-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
DoctorTOneery

And this is the reason why my dogs will not be riding in my truck until I can afford either a camper shell or a crate large enough for them to relax in.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
RlUbQU3R

I have a magnum and thats where guinness chills.. I see it ALL the time in NC. Its legal for humans to ride in the back of trucks here so the dogs are too.. I saw a guy driving with his dog in the bed of his truck on I-95! (its a really busy 65mph highway) and he was going FAST. Its stupid. I hate people like that

Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
CedssypeEdids

zeus rides in the back of the truck sometimes but mostly riding shot gun

Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
costamarianavia

You can always put a bolt in there, and tie the dog in, or have a dog box in the back. It is a stupid idea, but I doubt if EVERY dog dead on the side of the road fell out of a truck. It is likely it A) ran away from home or B)got dumped on the side of the road. I feel bad for the pup you are talking about, and hope the best for her, you should call A.C. ASAP

Old 03-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
traithJah

Generally, I believe that it is a very irresponsible action to take. When high speeds and heights are involved, the owner is risking the dog's life. Dogs that are not properly restrained can fall or jump off the side of the vehicle causing injury or death Also i dont care if there dog leaves hair thats why you can clean it if thats part of a reason why some people allow theirs dogs to be in the pickup... In addition to the danger of the dogs falling/flying out, there is also the danger of them being sunburned and having their feet burned horribly on the bed of a hot pick up, in the blazing hot sun! Can you imagine standing on that hot metal in your bare feet?

Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
acneman

Aw, that is so freaking sad!! Let us know if you are ever able to catch her, or what happens to her, if you know.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 AM   #12
astefecyAvevy

My dogs ride in the back of the pick-up, the majority ride in the crate, but Notch doesn't. However, we do tied him down, so, that he can't step up on the wheel hub and so, he can't "jump" over/out.

I figured most dogs dead on the highway were dogs running loose and had the bad fortune of finding themselves on a highway.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 AM   #13
Gypejeva

I let my dog ride in the back of my truck alot of the time. She is chained to the front of the box and her chain is just long enough so that she can look over the side but not long enough that she can stand with her front paws on the side.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #14
DoctorTOneery

Here is Albuquerque's law on dogs and trucks.

Albuquerque Animal Services Ordinance 9-2-3-14

No person shall carry an animal in or upon any vehicle in a cruel, inhumane or unsafe manner. An animal carried in the bed of a truck must be crated or restrained upon a nonmetal mat so that it cannot fall or jump from the truck or be strangled.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
milfovoxapl

When i was younger I had a Dober Dane that always rode in the back of the truck. I WAS LUCKY! I no longer allow the dog to ride in the back unless they are in their dog box, and we live in Texas it is so hot here that they usually ride shot gun? I guess you get smarter as you get older!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Quaganoca

Atticus always rides in the cargo part of my SUV, If I know Im going to be on the highway for an extended amount of time I always take the minivan, take the back seats out and put him and his crate back there. When He was a puppy I wouldnt let my wife roll down the windows too far for fear of him jumping out, she thinks Im a paranoid dad.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #17
Pippoles

Just today, my son was on his way out to my house and saw what was a dog that apparently jumped out of the back of a truck. The dog was dead and the lady was just sitting in the middle of the road with her head in her hands. It made my son so upset.

Reply to Thread New Thread