LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
bgsavings

Default I think we have our dogs confused.....
I have always been a firm believer that a dog only remembers so many seconds or minutes after something, but as i was sitting down thinking about it i don't believe that's true.

The main reason is that they remember throughout their life things like sit, stay down etc.....they are like a child in that we have to be consistent and VERY repetitive to get them to know ABC's.....well with a dog we have to be consistent and repetitive for them to remember sit, down, stay, dance, sit pretty, leave it, drop it, potty outside etc, and they remember it for a lifetime after they know it...

What do you think?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Grieryaliny

well....yeah.....many breeds of dogs have the intelligence of a small child, this is not new information, and has been proven scientifically

Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
euylvaygdq

it's also been prooven scientifically, that their memory is like a child's memory until a certain age, they distinguish, the words, and names, not exactly by memory, but by a process of elimination.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
Arr34ston

ok call me crazy but I do believe that dogs live in the now but I also believe that they remember things and know more than we give them credit for.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 AM   #5
bgsavings

ok call me crazy but I do believe that dogs live in the now but I also believe that they remember things and know more than we give them credit for.
that's all i was trying to say. I think if a dog poops in the house they KNOW they did it...mine looks at me with that oh crap i messed up look....tucks her tail and lays down by me while i clean it....and she don't get hit at all....she just knows that it's wrong...and she knows she did it.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Cinzomzm

I think they do that too. Karie got hold of a paperback book yesterday afternoon and worked it over. She didn't get spanked or anything, just stern words. When I got home late last night after work, I showed her the book and she put her head down and looked at me with those "I'm sorry..." eyes. She knew she did it.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
panholio

When we first got Jersey she took to chewing the remote controls. I think they must have smelled like us or something because it was all she would ever chew. Well that was over 2 years ago, and even now if I show her the remote and say "what is this" she will tuck tail and slink down. I think she remembers that she got in trouble for chewing momma's remote.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
DoctorTOneery

With my older dog if I just make a loud enough noise she thinks that shes in trouble and runs and hides, even though shes been the "good" dog lately. Either that or shes doing stuff and making it seem like the puppy is doing it.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
moohassinny

Yup. Waaaaaaaaay smarter than we give them credit for. lol

Old 02-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
UnduttRit

I think they do that too. Karie got hold of a paperback book yesterday afternoon and worked it over. She didn't get spanked or anything, just stern words. When I got home late last night after work, I showed her the book and she put her head down and looked at me with those "I'm sorry..." eyes. She knew she did it.
LOL,when my brothers dog Cisco was young anytime she chewed anything he would show it to her several times and she allways got that look.It got to the point where you can pick up any object and say "Cisco,did you do this"? and the poor dog will still immediatly get the look,even if what your showing her isnt chewed ur messed up in any way.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #11
Info-phone

i think its humans we give too much credit too i think my dogs are smarter than many many humans...

Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 AM   #12
furillo

lol my dog looks guilty before I even notice she did something like find an unattended kibble bag to binge on.

We on like our fourth random word to refer to squirrels without getting them all jacked up. They figure it out really fast.
They know so many other words its a little freaky.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #13
acneman

My dogs are way smarter than some humans I know!

I think we give them too little credit. Our dogs remember our commands, they remember what they got in trouble for (i.e., the book and putting the head down), they remember our friends.

Mollie remembers the pet store when we go there, she remembers the vet, and she always knows when I take her to the Nursing Home to see my mom. She remembers what room my mom is in.... I think they are smarter than we think they are.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:11 AM   #14
nebrarlepleme

I can't wait till they remember potty outside , forever and ever.and ever

Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Stivenslivakovishhhs

lol my dog looks guilty before I even notice she did something like find an unattended kibble bag to binge on.
Isn't that the truth.

Human comes home
Dog doesn't move from the couch
Human goes to the dog
Dog gets guilty look on the face
Human searches for evidence
Dog tries to make itself smaller

The scary part is when there is no evidence. Whatever it was they ate it all.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
st01en_lox

We on like our fourth random word to refer to squirrels without getting them all jacked up. They figure it out really fast.
They know so many other words its a little freaky.
one dog i had staying with me would go so nutty over squirrels that we just started calling them "tree rats"
my dog gives herself away every time,if i leave her out of her crate and she does something bad...she hides on my bedroom floor.That is why i love the crate for when i go out.i would way rather come home and let a happy ,tail wagging dog out of her crate thatn come home to a sneaky,cowering dog and chewed up whatevers all over the floor.Once my MIL made a lemon pie for my husbands birthday and Bella got up on the table and lifted the edge of the tin foil and then licked all the filling out of the crust. yeah dogs are deffinatly smarter than we give them credit for

Old 03-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #17
OGOGOogoloshennya

My baby girl remembered lots of stuff. She remembered that she love to "ride in the truck", but knew to run the other way when mommy wanted to give her a bath. She was smart enough to crawl under the bed and stick her head out just enough so I could see those sad puppy eyes the day she chewed up my favorite pair of shoes. I went on deployment overseas and was gone for 8 months, but she went crazy as soon as she saw me walking down the pier when I got home. I think dogs know more than most people give them credit for. My baby boy is taking after his 'big sister'. He thinks he's human, I think. When we get out of bed in the morning he goes out, then comes in, jumps on the bed and worms his way under the covers and lays down with his head on one of our pillows. So adorable...

Reply to Thread New Thread