LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
Hankie

Default Using a flirt pole in a public park?
I posted in the sports forum about flirt poles and went out today and bought the stuff to make one. My puppy LOVED it! We didn't over do it and I just let her chase it around ...no jumping.

I don't have a yard so I brought it across the street to the park. Its a pretty big park, basketball court, baseball field, tennis court, and a childs playground.

I've been reading that alot of uneducated people see this as a dog fighting tool.

Do you guys think its okay to use it in a public area?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
tsaaapla

I posted in the sports forum about flirt poles and went out today and bought the stuff to make one. My puppy LOVED it! We didn't over do it and I just let her chase it around ...no jumping.

I don't have a yard so I brought it across the street to the park. Its a pretty big park, basketball court, baseball field, tennis court, and a childs playground.

I've been reading that alot of uneducated people see this as a dog fighting tool.

Do you guys think its okay to use it in a public area?
I do use in public, however...you will always encounter those people that will assume you are training your dog for a match. I usually bring my 12 yr old nephew and a fetch ball,,,i switch back and forth between the two, playing fetch...people can relate to . I usually always explain to people observing that it is just a toy that me and the kid nephew constructed. And i let my nephew use the flirtpole with the dog,,,,such a great visual for the public. Most people leave wanting to make their own.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #3
panholio

I do use in public, however...you will always encounter those people that will assume you are training your dog for a match. I usually bring my 12 yr old nephew and a fetch ball,,,i switch back and forth between the two, playing fetch...people can relate to . I usually always explain to people observing that it is just a toy that me and the kid nephew constructed. And i let my nephew use the flirtpole with the dog,,,,such a great visual for the public. Most people leave wanting to make their own.
What a great idea, and your nephew is lucky to have an uncle that is willing to help him learn about the breed, and being a responsible dog owner. I hope that your dog is not off leash though. JMO.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
acneman

Like Bulldogs said, you're always going to run into those that think you are going to, or want to fight your dog It's a lot of repetitiveness to keep saying the same thing over and over, but you have to just grin and keep on repeating yourself.

I also would suggest using the tennis courts if you can, just make sure you shut the gate and take your own lock to lock it, so no one lets your dog out accidentally. Tennis courts are great for wearing down their toe nails, which saves you having to trim them yourself, so you kill two birds with one trip.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
Fsfkkkjz

but will a tennis court be rough on the joints? just wondering cause i like that idea. i need to make a spring pole.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
Rndouglas

i take aroura and king to the tennis court 3 times a week b/c they really dont have enough room to run in my back yard (aka jungle)

Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #7
Rndouglas

i always go to the last court so im not in anyones way if i see someone coming i will pack up the dogs and let them have the court. one group asked me why i was lettign them play like that i told them b/c they are bro- and sister and kids need to play but they are like but thats pitbull and i say AND lol the look on there face says it all. i tell them its not always the dogs fault for the way the act its most the time the owners

Old 02-28-2009, 03:56 AM   #8
traithJah

Depends on the people(s)

Examples i ran into when i practiced the flirt pole at my cousins house in his yard with my dog in his neighborhood. I ran into an actual x-dog fighter, hes like.. you fight your dog kid? im like nahh... and then he starts telling me stories about his past dogs that he use to fight and how they never lost a fight and if he did he took them out or some crap..

And i ran into a guy that said, heh my dog is smarter then that, my dog will realize that theirs a string on the stick and the dog will never get the toy. And im like.. Ehm no, my dog is smart, and just because theirs a string on the stick doesnt mean he cant get it. He is fast and sometimes gets it . And yea..

Another example,

some guy is like , creative idea. im like thanks.. and then he walked. im like . lolz...

another example.

some guy asked, what is the purpose of this. And then i explained the history of this and how its such a good exercise tools for these dogs.

and yea.

Pretty much, i'd say i ts ok to use in the public and im sure their will be people in the park that will stop and strike up a conversation with you.. then just educate them..... plain and simple. And if they think you dog fight your dog. then o well, they can cry all they want.

In short: I'd say its ok to use a flirt pole in public. And maybe even tell your dog to give and sit and lay down while he uses the flirt pole so peopel can see that these dogs are fun and smart and obediant and arent killers..

Old 02-28-2009, 03:59 AM   #9
Hankie

okay thanks guys. Most of the time I would have my 4 year old daughter with me so I would assume she would look more like a family dog with a cool toy for the most part

Old 02-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
moohassinny

I've never even heard the concept that people would connect a flirt pole with fighting. Tons of people with other breeds use them, especially people involved in lure coursing. Gaud... I swear I could be giving my dogs a cookie and someone, somewhere, would think I was using that to train them for fighting.

Reply to Thread New Thread