LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
sestomosi

Default Help!!!
Im going to rescue an Amstaff or Pit Bull, in your opinion is it better to adopt a puppy or one that is already 1 to 1.5 years old. Also we have no kids.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Zs3ZASpA

Both of mine were pups, BUT, I think I would go with an older dog next time since Im much more experienced with the breed now and there are SO many older one in shelters.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
acneman

The older one is probably already house trained, crate broken, is past the "chewing" stage, and past all the other annoying puppy habits. I love puppies, but the older one has been waiting longer for a great forever home.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
jamisi

Well there are are pros and cons to both:
A puppy is a puppy and so cute but yoiu have to start from scratch that means letting the pup out every 3 hours waking up in the middle of the night. Potty training etc. This is a fun time but can be frustrating.

Older pup: They are already set in their personalities. They are usually potty trained and have some basic obedience that you can work off of. They are usually pretty well crate trained too. They are so apprechiative of a new home and a family to love them.

It really is your oppinion and your desision. I don't belive their is one better or worse.
IMO I would go to your local rescue and play and watch the dogs and see if you have a connection or are drawn to a certain dog puppy or not. The personality and interaction they have with me is what I always look for first.

Good luck let us know what you decide.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Dastyh

There are pros and cons with each, whatever works best for you personally...however, if you adopt an adult dog you have a general idea of what you are getting temperment wise, go with a puppy and who knows how it will turn out. On the flip side, go with an adult and miss the cuteness of puppy, I think it's definitely something to sit down and think about. Good Luck!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
acneman

Yeah, let us know which one you choose. And pictures too!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
teergoBissono

I prefer getting an adult if I am getting the dog from somewhere like a rescue or a shelter.. that way you know what you're getting. And they usually have some training under their belt, if they're in a rescue!

But, I know plenty of people who have gotten rescue puppies and never had a problem.

I think you should just go meet the dogs and see who you click with

Old 02-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #8
Aozenee

I am happy you are rescuing! Puppies are adorable, fun and alot of work. 1 or 1 1/2 they are stll very much like a puppy in their activity level. Rescues usually have their dogs in foster homes. They know alot about the dog and can give you information on the dogs behavior and temperment. There are great dogs and puppies out there in need of loving homes, good luck in your search.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
galaktiusman

Im going to rescue an Amstaff or Pit Bull, in your opinion is it better to adopt a puppy or one that is already 1 to 1.5 years old. Also we have no kids.
Have you got somewhere that offers fostering as an option first as this is a superb way to get to know the breed/breeds and as long as you can give them up you will be able to make your own mind up as you may get the opertunity to foster both types puppy and adult

Dray x

Reply to Thread New Thread