LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
kertionderf

Default Male or female?
Hi there,
we are about ready to buy and ghoose between a male and female pitbull. We have had for the past 17 years 3 female yorkies (all dead now) and we would like to move to a bigger dog and the pitbull is the one we like but the question is female or male? What are the pluses and the minuses? We do have 5 grand kids ranging from 3 months and 7 years that come to our house every week several times. Can anybody out there give us some advice and an answer about the question.
Thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
RlUbQU3R

I like male dogs. cheaper to fix.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Amirmsheesk

With males you don't have to get the fixed as fast as females, NO blood. .

Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
7kitthuptarill

Wow,
Yorkie to pitbull, that's quite a journey
I have always had males, They say females are a little more passive and easier to train, I beg to differ!! Obviously a male is going to be bigger.
Make sure you read as many threads as you can before you get your pup. This site is amazing. I wish I had seen it before I got my puppy.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
valiumcheapll

It is all up to . the most important is to find one with a good sound temperment ansd to read and know everything you can about this breed so that you may raise it to be a wonderful advocate for this breed. If you get a pit pup it is now your resposibility to do everything in your power to keep you dog safe secure and out of harm. Yorkies are great but they are compleatly different form the APBT just make sure you are ready for what lies ahead.
I will say if you are ready this is the best breed you will ever have and the loyalty and love you will get from you pup will be byond your wildest imagination.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
bahrain41

The first thing I would suggest would be to do a lot of research on the breed before getting an American Pit Bull Terrier. Get to know the characterstics and traits of the breed. Since APBTs can be animal aggressive, you will never be able to leave your dog around another animal unsupervised. They can be great escape artists, so you must have a good plan as to how you are going to contain your dog while it is unsupervised. Are you prepared to deal with the criticism from family members, friends, and people in the general public for owning a "pit bull"? Be aware that you may run in to problems with renting a home/apartment and getting home owners insurance as well. With that being said, American Pit Bull Terriers are loyal, smart, silly, and loving. A properly bred APBT is not human aggressive. If the dog has a correct temperament, it will love you and your grandchildren. Personally, I prefer female dogs. But, please take the time to research the breed and make sure it is going to be the right dog for your family. If you decide that an APBT is the right dog for your family, take time to look around and find a responsible breeder that is producing quality dogs. If you need help finding information or a good breeder just ask and members of the forum will try to help point you in the right direction.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
freflellalafe

I like males because most are bigger but to me females make better pets. I can potty train a female better. and to me they fight less. both are loveing dogs. males act crazy all the time females only get annoying when they are in heat and unalteredto me.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Dominick Yo

males tend to be a little dopey. unsure as young. females can be crazier and i feel harder to potty train as pups. as they get older a fixed female is the best pet IMO. girls are more aggressive to a point. but seem more devoted to their masters.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
RlUbQU3R

ok so male apbt do tend to be dopey as young dogs?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #10
euylvaygdq

from my experience females are more obedient and more focused on the owner (I'm not saying they shouldn't be trained, and just like males need a lot of time and dedication but as the mature they tend to be more family oriented, better with kids, more patient, however they tend to be more protective of their families, not always, but more so than the males), males as much as I love them are usually big goofballs, but we tend to prefer girls in our family, not just with this breed.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
RlUbQU3R

I have enough needy females already... don't need my dog being one too..

LOL

Old 02-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
acneman

All my males are dopey! Oh, and my male dogs are too! Well, TItus is the dope, but I've always had it easier training females. I prefer females because I've always been able to house break them quicker, and I've never had a female that was a humper... But I must say, Titus and Maxx definitely have very special places in my heart, dopey or not!

Reply to Thread New Thread