LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
UMATURLIN

Default possible adoption
Hello I have been doing short term foster care for the bully breed for almost a year. Many of the dogs I have worked with have come from fight rings. After months of working with them, they all have ended up in happy healthy homes. I currently am a proud parent of 2 german shepherds, 2 kittens and one 3 month old foster staffy named Riley. When I got Riley he weighed 10lbs, could hardly walk, a was scared to death of people (he would growl at everybody) 3 weeks later he is 26lbs and is coming out of his shell. He a WONDERFUL puppy whom I have really become attached to. I am really thinking about keeping him. I have the time (We cant have kids), and the room(we own a house with a 6 foot fenced in backyard.) I am a little nervous about the possiblity of dog aggression when hes a little older, and ending up hurting himself or one of my other dogs. I know this seems a little stupid. I tried to read about this topic on the web, but it keeps leading back to high possiblity of dog aggression. I have worked with aggresive dogs, and have done fine in the past but its only been short term. There is a family with another staffy who would like to adopt him, but it breaks my heart the thought of him leaving. He is so attached to me, and my other animals. He part of my family. I want whats best for him even if that means him going to a new family with more experience in the breed. I would love some feedback about this, becouse I need to make a decision soon.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
pfcwlkxav

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, dog aggression is something that this breed if known for. BUT, with work, it can be managed. Also, not ALL pit bull are aggressive. Check out the Training and Behavior Section of the board. It should give you lots of useful information on how to control aggression if need be.

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
UMATURLIN

Thanks. I heard that the Staffys are a little more mellow then pits? He is a 100% american staffy.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
pfcwlkxav

I wouldnt know the answer to that, Im sorry. There are threads dedicated to staffy's though, perhaps you can find something in there?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
astefecyAvevy

Welcome.

Amstaffs can be less DA, but it is still a big possibility. My Amstaff, Notch, is very tolerant of all my dogs, but hates any other dog.

Just keep in mind, supervised play only, and never leave them alone together, and have a break stick for just in case moments.

Reply to Thread New Thread