LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Dabdklwu

Default Ever had to break up a dog fight by yourself?
I'm curious as to how someone would break up a dog fight between their dog (on leash) and an offleash dog (stray, lost ect) by themselves?

I just ordered a break stick from obriens kennel and wondering how I'd go about getting another dog under control with no leash ect. Good chance of getting bitten I'm assuming? Or if you break your dog away and have him under control whats to say the other won't still aggress.

I want to be prepared if this unfortunate event ever happens.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:12 AM   #2
IntinyBut

Depending on your size, knowledge and physical ability, I personally prefer to choke off/out both dogs.

If a dog is not conscious it can't fight. Drag them to their kennel and all done.

Not for everyone, not something everyone can physically do, but it's my personal preference.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
astefecyAvevy

I usually carry an extra leash and extra collar on my walks. This way if it ever does happen, I can try to get my dog tied to a tree, and try to leash and/or collar the other dog, though, that might not even be possible depending on if the dog attacks me or not.

Some people carry bear mase, this way the other dog will run off.

I hope other people have some good suggestions for you.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Forex Trading Software

I have taught Jaci that if another dog comes running at us (has happened more than once) she is to sit behind me and not move. Then I distract the other dog and keep myself in between the two of them and hopefully scare the other one away. If it doesn't go away then I grab it's collar and lead it home with Jaci follwing behind me.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
IntinyBut

I read that question wrong. I thought you meant between two dogs in your possession, not a stray.

[Personal Opinion]
I immediately make sure my dog is at attention and aware that a stray is around. I give them as much room to move as necessary. If the other dog were to run up and attack and I was (for whatever reason that particular day) unprepared to stop the other dog, I would immediately let my dog go. There is absolutely no reason for me to hinder my dog from effectively defending himself from an attack.

He has genetics, he'll use them.

That's not to say that I would sit back and just enjoy a show, I would go for the other dog and more than likely (depending on how 'serious' the other dog is) take the 'necessary steps' to prevent his future actions towards my dog.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
Forex Trading Software

I just wanted to add that Jaci is terrified of other dogs though. She hates walking down the street where there is a mean Chihuahua. That dog just about makes her pee herself.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
ThzinChang

from my experience its best to submit the more aggressive one and if that is not working what big ant said you gotta choke them out

Old 02-21-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
IntinyBut

from my experience its best to submit the more aggressive one and if that is not working
What? Are you serious? I'd love to see the 'experience' that provided that gem of advice.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
ThzinChang

its worked for me that is all im saying. but you cant be afraid I think if you go in knowing that you are going to stop the fight you will, thats the power of intention

Old 02-21-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
NvrNoNowX

Yes I have but not with Caliber with my mom's dogs, they are both labs. The oldest, Titan had never lived a day in his life without his brother jake, so when he died he became extremely depressed and aggressive towards other dogs. then My mom got a two year old female lab Casey and Titan was not happy. One day I heard them in a scruffle so I ran over to them and Titan had Casey by the throat, I tryed pulling him off but he is to strng, he is 80 lbs of pure muscle. Then I noticed that Casey wasn't moving and she started to bleed. So I had no other choice so I kicked him in the head I really didn't want to but I couldn't let him kill her, after that he got off of her and I put him in his kennel. I turned around and Casey wasn't moving I really thought he killed her, but I felt her chest and she was breathing so I rushed her to the vet and now she is a very happy girl. Casey is now Titan's little girlfriend!!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
acneman

Yes I have, and it was not fun.... Best tool you can have, is a breakstick. It's late, and I'm tired, so I won't go into details right now, but make sure you always have a breakstick, they pay for themselves the first time you use them.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #12
NvrNoNowX

I wish I had breaksticks when I had to break up Titan and Casey, but it was when I was about 16 and I didn't even know what they were, I still don't have any but Caliber has never been in a fight... yet. But I still plan on getting some.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
moohassinny

I actually had this happen to me while walking Marz years ago. Here I am, pushing a baby buggy, walking my dog and this shepard type dog jumps off a two story balcony and attacks Marz. Luckily Marz was unphased and took the dog by the throat and calmly pinned it to the ground. She didn't even break the skin, just held him there while he squealed and flailed. lol I didn't really know what to do from there, but some guy stopped his car and got out to help me. He got a hold of the other dog and knocked on the owners door but of course no one was home. I've had quite a few runs in over the years with loose dogs but luckily, their irresponsible, non leash law following owners were not far behind. It's one of my huge fears walking, that we'll run into another stray dog and I always have the kids with me so I with no doubt would let my dogs defend themselves if they had to because I couldn't fend the dog off with verbal threats.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
milfovoxapl

Yes many years ago a room mate and I both had large dog breeds. I had a male Dober/Dane about 8 years old and She had a Rottie about 1 and a half years. One day they both turned on and Tyler took Bo to the ground, of course being female I got right into the middle of it with absolutely on experience breaking up dog fights. I pulled Tyler off by his color and as I did Bo latched onto his pad of the paw. Seeing Tyler was going to be crippled by this if Bo ripped ot off, I "put my hand into Bo's mouth and turned it where the jaw would pop and release the pad. IT WORKED! Now for the bad news, as the pad was released Bo clamped down on my fingers and ate, yse ATE the tip of my index finger in the process. Smooth move on my part. I had sugery and most people would not notice the difference in length. Both dogs after the fight were fine. Bo went to bed with my kids and Tyler went to his bed as if nothing happened.

I never take my own advice but I think knowing how to use a breaking stick is the responsible thing to do and I would advise it for anyone with a larger dog.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
Thunderzee

Carrying "DirectStop" and a breakstick is essential when walking. The direct stop is dog-safe mace and I highly reccomend it.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
surefireinvest

its worked for me that is all im saying. but you cant be afraid I think if you go in knowing that you are going to stop the fight you will, thats the power of intention The best of intentions have gotten many hurt

I like CHJ carry an extra lead, I do not carry a collar because I would not know what size I may need, and you can always run one end back through the handle to make a chock lead. I also carry a tazer and a .22 but I would only suggest this if you have a carry conceal permit.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
BEKREUNSEPBERw

I carry an expandable baton and a gun, normally my Kel-Tec 380 (because it fits in my back pocket).
I have had only a few dogs charge me, when walking my dogs. Normally, yelling at them and advancing toward them, is enough to get them to back down. Only once have I actually had a dog not back down. It was an intact, male Rottie while I was walking Jaeger. I started barking commands at Jaeger to keep his attention on me, and kept him on my left side away from the charging dog. When it approached, I landed one solid blow across the side of its head with my baton. That was all it took, and the dog stumbled off to its yard. I continued on my way, shaking like crazy, and called the police to report the incident. The funny thing is, two weeks later the same house was on the news after being raided for dealing drugs.
Now I am only 5'1" and 110lbs. I don't know that I could physically stop a fight myself. But if it came down to protecting one of my dogs, I will do what I have to, including using deadly force.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
GinaIsWild

Yes I have. I grab each dog by their collar and string them up. That's about all you can do in a hurry.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #19
ThzinChang

The best of intentions have gotten many hurt
I also carry a tazer and a .22 but I would only suggest this if you have a carry conceal permit.
guns and tazers have hurt more things then my intentions of submitting a dog.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #20
Forex Trading Software

I only weigh 110 pounds too that is why I atleast train my dog VERY well. If I can control my dog off leash to do what I want whenever I want then I focus on the dog advancing the attack. Jaci, I am sure can defend herself but I don't want her thinking that just because it is a little dog trying to attack her then she can and seriously hurt the dog and get in headlines when it wasn't even her fault. Nobody would believe that!

I have walked upon a dog fight before between a Newfoundland and a Lab. The Newfie had the Lab by the throat and would not let go. I put Jaci in a sit/stay and grabbed the Newf by the mouth (would not recommend that) and squeezed his jaw until he let go. Then I had the Newf and the owner of the Lab had her dog and Jaci was still in her sit/stay. It would have been awful if Jaci would have joined the attack also. If Jaci would have joined the attack also it would have been a total mess! When bystanders arrived they all thought the Pit HAD to be involved in the fight and were surprised to find out she had nothing to do with it and that it was the Pit owner that stopped the fight. It made some people think differently.

Reply to Thread New Thread