LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 02-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
bridsanaeds

Default the prejudice is everywhere
Just a story I'd like to share...
We got an APBT pup after researching and searching for the right dog. We found a blue APBT that we fell in love with. He is the most remarkable dog I have ever seen. We got him when he was 12 weeks, and had little or no training. He just turned 5 months old and he is completely house trained, crate trained and command trained. COMPLETELY. He is not aggressive in the least. He is very hyper though, but exercised routinely this is manageable....anyways, getting to the point...We enrolled him in obedience school. First class my dog was penned into a seperate fenced area while all the other dogs where together on the other side of the fence. Reasoning....."he is a pitbull, and showed signs of aggression". This stated because he was backed into a corner by 2 much larger dogs who were simultaneously biting at him so he snapped back out of self defence. Im not trying to stick up for my own dog, but hence the situation...The other dogs were clearly in the wrong. The two other dogs were casually taken out of the scene and my dog was penned. After a few lessons, I explained to the instructor that my dog was not aggressive, and frankly I didn't pay the money to teach my dog seperated in isolation from everyone else...so she allowed us to intervine my dog into the "pack". My dog was the best behaved dog in the class, and listened 10 times better than all their poodles and what not. My dog played wonderfully with the dogs, and everyone was commenting on how shockingly wonderful his behavior was...Just because he is a pitbull, he was immediately boycotted... sadly mistaken.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
secondmortgages

If I were you, I'd get a refund and take my money elsewhere. Good luck with your decision though...

Old 02-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
UnduttRit

If I were you, I'd get a refund and take my money elsewhere. Good luck with your decision though...
I second that. You shouldnt have to pay money to have some stuck up snot make you feel bad.I would also not want someone training my dog that is scared of it or cant handle it.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Drysnyaty

This is why it is important to look for a trainer who 1 is a good trainer and 2 knows and has worked with the breed. Most good trainers will let you sit in and watch a class before taking one to make sure it is right for you.

My first question is...
Why were other dogs allowed off lead in a beginner class to begin with making them able to corner your dog????

If the trainer will not properly work with the pup and doesn't know true signs of aggression , they have no business being a trainer. That really isn't even just my opinion I feel it is a fact. Someone training dogs should understand dogs.

Another option is to stick it out and prove them wrong by continuing to be the best in class despite their ignorance and teach them while you are training. However I wouldn't put my dog in an uncomfortable situation with bad trainers, so you have to eval how much he is getting out of class before deciding which is actually the right way to go about it.

LOL Now see after training APBTs and being around them for years I train with many trainers who have never worked with them, but because I have, I do things my way whether they are doing something else or not. Of course I'm not rude about it and I talk to the trainers. Sure I've butted heads with a few trainers too LOL

I train at an AKC club so most have never even seen an APBT let alone been in class with one. Every time I take a new class with different members there are at least a couple who are either afraid or have the wrong idea about the breed which is changed after a couple of classes. So Just keep in mind stereotypes need to be broken and people need to be educated. Every person's mind you change is a good thing and a dig against BSL being passed. To own the breed you have to be ready to use things like this to your advantage IMO

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Hope that helps you decide what to do

Old 02-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Drysnyaty

On another note:
If you post the state and area you are in, maybe some people can give advice on trainers by you.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
bridsanaeds

it has been a few weeks now, and my dog is allowed to intervine in the classes now. He by far is the smartest and best trained dog in the entire class of 12. The instructor has changed her tune now...she even stated that my dog should be the poster dog for pitbulls.... due to the fact he is so affectionate, and listens to me without me having to say 1 word...... I think starter obedience school was a bit of a waste of time...only MHO.....because my dog needs more challenges than sit, lay down and stay.....

Old 02-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
marketheal

@Patch O Pits: I agree, I refuse to work with any trainer that doesn't have experience with my breed.

@dawg lover: I'm glad to hear your dog is doing well and excelling in his obedience training, and I must say you're a forgiving person because after that first incident I would have asked for my money back and discontinued with that particular class/trainer. I'm curious were you taking one of those Petsmart/Petco obedience classes?

Old 02-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
bridsanaeds

No, I took a private course done inside a large warehouse...They also claim to do agility training and so forth so I thought they would be a little better. I only kept taking him there to PROVE to them they were wrong...not to mention they socializing of my dog.. he likes it there.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Drysnyaty

I'm glad things have gotten better. Most of the time the APBTs are the smartest ones and best at the things being taught... heheheh after all, they are the world's best dogs.
Of course I am a bit biased.

Reply to Thread New Thread