LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 AM   #1
arrismVam

Default Sneaky *&%$
My dog is driving me nuts and I hope its just a phase shes going through. She is so smart and so damm sneaky. She waits until no one is looking to start doin dirt. She knows better I swear but shes constantly trying to get in the garbage or litter box. Or she tries to sneak downstairs to see whats good laying around in my room. My house is becoming like so closed in and I hate it. We have to keep every door closed that we can. My trash can is sitting up on top of the dishwasher right now. And here she is pacing back and forth looking for something to rip up. I can see it in her eyes. She has tug toys,A Kong, nylabone... I don't know what else to give her. We play with her all the time. Does anybody else own a sneaky son-of-a-B? I love her dont get me wrong but she is bad bad bad. I need some advice people...help a sister out!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
hauptdaunnila

does she get to run around outside and burn off energy?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
PristisoliTer

How old is she? She may just be going through the adolescent stage, much like a toddler, or preteen. Does she have a spring pole or flirt pole to play with? That would wear her out more so she doesn't get bored and "look" for trouble. Otherwise, welcome to owning a dog That's what they do, they are just like a little kid or teen. Mollie will actually find chocolate in the trash, get it and hide on the side of the bed next to the wall to eat it. If I come in, she swallows it real fast, so I can't get it away from her.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
arrismVam

She has a big backyard to run in but typically likes to stay indoors with us. In her defense... I have not been faithfully walking her everyday but we romp and play alot.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:21 AM   #5
arrismVam

Rosa is about 20 months old. I thought her adolescent stage was over. I 'm venting right now, she is not a BAD dog. She's great with some bad ways. No I never tried the flirt pole. She loves to play tug with me and wrestle around on the floor. We play hard but she does'nt bite. I thought that would be enough exercise. Maybe not.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 AM   #6
VYholden

Gotta love that stage. I dread it when we get a new dog or foster! LOL! It will get better!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:23 AM   #7
VeniHemealm

a happy dog is a tired dog.with my dogs if we dont play ,they will not stop bugging me.we like using a spring pole, but a flirt pole is just plain fun for the both of us.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 AM   #8
arrismVam

Do you think as she reaches adult hood she will mellow out and not be so mischevous? Anyone here have an older pit bull?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 AM   #9
yatrahnualenu

My dog is 3 and acts similarly. Always play,play,play,whether you want to or not. Long walks help a lot to deal with this.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #10
Zysyewgg

LOL It's so nasty but dogs love little kitty tootsie rolls! That one is gonna be hard to break....but look at the bright side your litter scooping will be down to a minimum.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #11
sFs4aOok

my brothers dog is the same way she is 9 months though. nothing can be left out or she tears everything up. the trashcan is on top of the washing machine. she gets into my granparents belongings and rips them to shreds. in the case of my brothers dog she gets no attention and no toys. my brother thinks hes spends enough time with her (sleeping in the same room is all they get) and his wife spends all their money on her own clothes nothing left for that dog.

OP i think your dog just needs to get worn out running and playing everyday

Old 12-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #12
VogsHoock

She needs more exercise. A LOT more exercise. Try starting to get her out running or biking, or pulling weight. Anything to exercise her body, even if you don't plan on competing with her.

Additionally get her in a good OB class and think about going on to agility/ etc. A dog needs their mind exercised as much as they need their body exercised.

My 4 year old still has days where he gets into things if I let up on exercise or training.

Genevieve

Old 12-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
Ikrleprl

We have a big yard; but Veronica won't just go out and run around on her own. we have to go out with her and engage her in some sort of play to get her going and keep her going. (Flirt pole, fetch, tug, chase...)

She's 2 1/2 and she is better; but by no means trustworthy. If she is bored, she'll look for trouble.

If she is bored, and feels that we are neglecting our duty to entertain her...she will go and get a "non-approved chew toy"; such as my husband's slippers or a decorative pillow...she will take it and lie down right in front of you and commence chewing.

When you say to her, "what the hell do you think you're doing????"; she'll give you the most innocent wide-eyed look of confusion that seems to say, "what ever is the problem Mother? I'm just a poor neglected dog, trying to entertain myself as best I can."

Old 12-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
EspanaCamsInfo

Do you think as she reaches adult hood she will mellow out and not be so mischevous? Anyone here have an older pit bull?
Yea, I have one that is 12 1/2. I took her to obedience classes when she was younger. She always has the full run of the house and never gets into anything. I can leave a garbage bag with ham scraps sitting on the floor and she will not touch it. But she is the rare one!

Garbage is like doggie crack - once they get into it, they will never stop. You need to take away the opportunity and put it behind closed doors - problem solved.

I agree with what others have said - your dog needs more excercise and challenges. How about an obedience class or try to teach her some tricks to engage her mind?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
PristisoliTer

Mollie is now 4, and all she does is sleep, but she still has moments when she's a pain, when she's getting into something. Most of the time, she's on the couch or bed sleeping, but if she smells chocolate, she will drive me nuts till I finally take the trash out to keep her big snout out of it.

You will look back with fond memories one day. In the meantime, get the book Marley and Me, you will find out how much you relate. Don't know about the movie yet, but there's no way it will be as funny and heart warming as the book. It's a good read, for any dog lover/owner.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
slimsex

Definitly some more exersize but don't worry I have been there. 20 months is still a young age and she is still learning. We had to close up our whole house when Sophie was this age and everything had to be put up. She was so sneaky she learned to open the door to get into the garbage can. This is the hardest phase but stay consistant in your corrections and training don't leave anything lying around and this to will pass.

Remeber as everyones else stated more exersize will help her get over this issue quickly.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM   #17
MzTT

my dog dose the same type of stuff and shes almost 3.last week she jumped up on the counter when we weren't home and grabbed the box of pancake mix we get home and she greets me at the door with white powder on her nose and the whole living room covered in pancake mixthen a few days ago she climbed up on the counter and ate a 5lbs bag of puppy food.so now we lock her in the bedroom when were not home.shes a good dog but i guess the temptation is just to much for her.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #18
RokeIdeadioke

LOL It's so nasty but dogs love little kitty tootsie rolls! That one is gonna be hard to break....but look at the bright side your litter scooping will be down to a minimum.
I LOVE THAT ONE Works for me around here with 4 cats.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #19
lkastonidwedsrer

I'm kind of going through that with my 8mo old, but it's more that he's looking for things to destroy. I've spend so much money on toys, and he just destroys them all. Luckily, we've finally found some that are taking him awhile to get through. He loves his Kong filled with peanut butter (frozen, so it takes longer and is less messy), his Cuz ball, and his HUGE rope ball that is about as big as his head. Most of his destruction comes from bordom...we've been snowed in for a few days, and the few days it was warm I was working.

Yesterday, he snuck into my boyfriend's office and pulled out a wrapping paper tube and started playing with that. I think it was the funniest thing I had seen in awhile.

He's at daycare today, getting fully exhausted!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #20
maxuilg

Molly still counter surfs when nobody is in the kitchen. The other night I had baked a ham and was waiting for it to cool enough to cut easily. I left the ham with a knife on the plate and went to the bathroom. I heard something fall to the floor and Molly yelped really loud. When I had ran back to the kitchen the knife was on the floor and Molly had a small cut on the top of her head. Luckily the cut wasn't bad, the knife had missed her eye and the ham was still on the counter.

I left a couple good pieces on the counter to see but it seems the counter surfing is over. I guess she learned her lesson. Those hams fight back.

Reply to Thread New Thread