LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
chinesemedicine

Default Dogs & Reasoning Skills
Yeah, yeah. I know. Dogs don't reason, they aren't humans, and so on. I get that... But how do I explain this?

For a few months, Garp has taken to pulling his leash down from the hook and then staring at me. A couple weeks ago, I was sitting on the couch and he actually dragged it over to me.

He will also take his circular tug toy, carry it over, and lay the other side of it in my hand.

Last night, I think he was cold in the house and his jacket was sitting on the couch. He grabbed it, dropped in into my lap, and stared at me until I put it on it.

He's always been lousy at the "take it" command, but these things have come about organically. Is this just a cause-and-effect thing?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
picinaRefadia

Well, dogs are really a lot smarter than we give them credit for. I believe that in Garp's case, he's associated this + this means this. So if he wants to go for a walk, he's learned he can't without a leash, so he takes it upon himself to get one. If he wants to play, he needs a toy, and he'll grab it expecting you to do something about the action.

It is really, really cute how he grabbed his jacket. What a smart boy! I suppose he's wishing someone would invent a device to translate doggish into English, lol.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
chinesemedicine

It is really, really cute how he grabbed his jacket. What a smart boy! I suppose he's wishing someone would invent a device to translate doggish into English, lol.
Yeah, I kind of melted when he did that. I've been telling everyone all along that he likes his jacket! Ha. Now I have proof. And my roommate was there as witness.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
picinaRefadia

Haha! My dad's a bit of a hardass and thinks that Roxie is fine without her little hoodie, but Roxie does not go outside if he's the one to let her out during bad weather! She knows that everyone else will put her hoodie on, so she'll go find someone else and plead with her eyes for them to take her out for potty.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
chinesemedicine

Ooooh we have a hoodie too! I don't think he's quite as fond of the hoodie as he is of the jacket though... Ha, he's never brought me the hoodie..

Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
picinaRefadia

Omg. How adorable!! This is one of Roxie's (I also have a green one):

Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
chinesemedicine

She looks so regal!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
picinaRefadia

Haha, thanks.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
QbCp7LaZ

too cute! And smart!

If Peanut wants to go for a walk, she sometimes nudges her harness and then stares at DH. If we put something in her bowl and we forget to release her, she will run up to you and keep staring until you pick up on her esp.

She can't reach her hoodies but she does love wearing one.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
Vobomei

It's fun to me to see what associations they make and how much they can learn. My current dog, Henry, is definitely the smartest dog I have ever owned. He does similar behaviors you described with Garp. He also has this thousand yard stare that I swear you can see the wheels in his mind turning. He'll stare and stare and straight up try to probe into your mind!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
iceleliewBync

you know, some people regard a dog's intellectual ability equal to that of a 2 year old human.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0810025241.htm

Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
diegogo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060300960.html

http://www.cleverdoglab.at/index.php?id=25&L=1

I personally think dogs do have the ability to reason. They'll definitely problem-solve if motivated.

Reply to Thread New Thread