LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
lesso73

If she's on any meds pack those, a muzzle (you never know), and her favorite chew toy.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
lesso73

Forgot to say good luck and I hope you don't get hit hard by the storm.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
Anakattawl

Toys and chews to keep her busy.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
LSDDSL

We are not used to any storms where I am, and you are all so calm. Think I would have been freaked!
Good luck to you all!

Old 10-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Immampdah

Favorite blanket? Both of our dogs are blanket babies and would stay much calmer with their favorite blanket.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Pynctyncroast

I think the idea of a muzzle is a very important part of being prepared. No matter how well tempered your dog is, emergency crews or other people may need to handle your dog in an emergency, and a freaked out possibly injured dog is a bite risk. Having a muzzle on hand and ready will smooth out any process that needs to happen.

It's also good to take a "Lost Dog" poster with you whenever you travel with your dog. We do this on our flyball team. It's very easy for a dog to get lost while traveling, so having posters available will greatly enhance your ability to have someone find your dog in a strange area.

You should also have an area where you can put her if you need to evacuate. Think of your evacuation route and find either a family member or boarding kennel along the way, out of the storm's path. This way you don't have to decide between keeping your dog safe and keeping yourself safe.

Make sure you have multiple, sturdy collars and multiple leashes. At least a week's worth of food and water for both of you.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
no02rSx2

I actually don't own a muzzle for her, hmm. Maybe I can run to petsmart and get one.

I picked her up some marrow bones earlier so she has something to do with any nervous energy. SHe's not much of a chewer but she loves marrow bones.

I'll work on a lost dog poster - that's a good idea. She's not on any meds.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
lesso73

We are not used to any storms where I am, and you are all so calm. Think I would have been freaked!
Good luck to you all!
There are people who have been doing this their whole lives and still freak! lol

Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
DownloadMan

A few more tips...

A blanket large enough to cover the crate to help your dog stay calm with less distractions.

Benedryl is a quick way to take the edge off...1mg per pound is the general rule for dosage.

Here is a great way to make a quick muzzle just in case it's necessary...

Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
no02rSx2

Thank you guys! This is really helpful. I got her favorite blanket and put it in her crate, and I went to petsmart and got a mesh muzzle (they didn't have basket ones).

She seems nervous/restless but it may also be because she saw me packing our bug-out bag in case we have to bail. Seeing me pack a suitcase is the sum of all fears, so she may be freaking out because of that. The wind is definitely picking up though. I'm just hoping to get through this without a tree in my living room.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
realfan87

What do people with dozens of dogs out on chains do? How do they protect their dogs from -- if not total flooding -- at least days of flooded dog houses and chain spots?
Hopefully, they have a way to get them all inside or evacuated if total flooding is what is coming.

Carla

Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
no02rSx2

hi all! we're doing ok. The worst is still to come but I still have power, yay. I took Amy out for a couple walks in her raincoat - she was less than amused at the weather. Now she's burrowed under my blankets. She seems to be doing ok. Wish us luck - should be over in the next 24 hours.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
no02rSx2

Default Storm Preparations for the Dog
OK, I've got copies of her vaccination records in plastic bags, her kennel accessible in case I need to evacuate my home and put in in the car. I've got an extra leash, first aid kit, dog food, extra water, bowls, and a thundershirt.

Anything else I might need?

Reply to Thread New Thread