LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
valiumnopresc

Default 300 fine for not picking up dogs poop
what is required to get this enforced?

does a cop have to drive by and see it happening?

can you report someone?

take a video of the act?

just wondering because there are some piece of sh!t dog owners near 2nd and brown that don't clean up after their dog ....

especially that cleared out lot on the corner ...... that lot has become a minefield of sh!t

Old 01-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
sniskelsowwef

I've been wondering the same thing lately. I would like to know when the last time that one of these tickets was actually written in this city. In the winter months, I walk my dog in the dark every night. I return home 90% of the time with poop on my shoe(s). It's even more special when I step in another dog's prize while I'm picking up my dog's deposits. That makes me very happy. I've had people laugh at me for picking up my dog's stuff. I just turn with the evidence and ask if they want some while holding it out to them. I think that they think I'm crazy at that point.
Anyway, I have been thinking that those signs and the cost to install them was probably another terrible city waste considering the evidence that they are not effective or enforced. My guess is that one $300 ticket would "curb" someone's ignorance to the pickup laws.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
mas-dkt-sive

Didja vote for Nutter?

Cause it all started with his election.

I was issued a trash ticket for having it out before the "correct time"

Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Kokomoxcv

I too would like to know how this is actually enforced. The stretch of grass behind my apartment building is constantly covered in cr*p, so much so that getting in and out of the car in the dark is a guessing game. My dog and I are out there several times a day, and the few people I've seen leaving "presents" have gotten an earful from me (or, occasionally, the Husband) because it's gross, illegal, and rude. If I can pick up Dane poop, you can pick up terrier poop, you know?

But yes, I'd call someone to issue a fine if that's what it took.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
iuopyra

I too would like to know how this is actually enforced. The stretch of grass behind my apartment building is constantly covered in cr*p, so much so that getting in and out of the car in the dark is a guessing game. My dog and I are out there several times a day, and the few people I've seen leaving "presents" have gotten an earful from me (or, occasionally, the Husband) because it's gross, illegal, and rude. If I can pick up Dane poop, you can pick up terrier poop, you know?

But yes, I'd call someone to issue a fine if that's what it took.
I believe the short answer is that it's not enforced.

I would not be surprised to learn that there has never been a citation written for this offense.

This is one of those "laws" that a city council person, (perhaps even with the purest of intentions), thinks up and it gets a bunch of articles written about it and it passes. But nobody ever thinks of the practicality of "enforcement" so it becomes like jaywalking.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
corriffuniee

Didja vote for Nutter?

Cause it all started with his election.

I was issued a trash ticket for having it out before the "correct time"
Not true. I got 3 trash tickets in 2003. My neighbors didn't like me. I won on all accounts but nonetheless. They enforce this law as much as the dog poop law.

I think they're going to start enforcing dog poop fines slightly after our violent crimes start resulting in convictions. (This is not a statement as to say that dog poop doesn't matter but since our city can't even figure out the latter, we don't have much hope.)

Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Shipsyspeepay

Not true. I got 3 trash tickets in 2003. My neighbors didn't like me. I won on all accounts but nonetheless. They enforce this law as much as the dog poop law.
Are you saying they don't give you a ticket for this unless someone calls?
I got a ticket for this about 5 years ago because I put my trash out in the morning before I left for a two week vacation (our pick up time was at night).
I didn't fight it because I deserved it, but I am sad to think that one of my neighbors called it in on me.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
BypeVupyide

Pretty much, yeah...if you're not in Center City like desolate and me. They are up in our areas as much as the PPA is...

Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
anfuckinggs

When I spoke to the 5th district about this (the poop enforcement), they laughed. I've actually seen police officers sitting in cars while an owner has his dog is next to them dumping a load and then moving on without cleaning it up. Yea, Philly's finest alright.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:41 AM   #10
zueqhbyhp

Yeah I remember interrupting a two squad car chat in Penn Treaty Park a few years ago when I was walking with my dog. I pointed over to the man with two dogs whose dog they watched poop and not clean it up. I wrote their car numbers down...but I'm sure it's them who had the last laugh.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
ReneCM

Yeah I remember interrupting a two squad car chat in Penn Treaty Park a few years ago when I was walking with my dog. I pointed over to the man with two dogs whose dog they watched poop and not clean it up. I wrote their car numbers down...but I'm sure it's them who had the last laugh.
Yeah pretty much you have to talk with the district's liason to get anywhere.

Beat cops have that as a low priority i would imagine.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
Edwardthe_third

Yeah I was just figuring since they were doing, um, nothing...

Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
diseeKeythilt

Yeah I was just figuring since they were doing, um, nothing...
They were carefully scanning their surroundings for potential crime. Since failure to clean up after your dog is not a crime that will get you (a) press coverage or (b) props from your fellow officers, they feel free to ignore it.

I don't really want to denigrate the officers who've given their lives in the line of duty, but they are an exception. I have not been terribly impressed with the majority of officers I've had to interact with, and I don't believe in giving them pedestal status because of their jobs. At least with firefighters, you know that at some point just about all of them are going to go willingly into a building on fire. That takes some guts.

And for you police boosters who tell me I'm being ingrateful and that police don't have time to do everything, then either kick out the elected officials who keep passing these stupid laws that police are expected to enforce, or admit that the police don't do their jobs. Their job is not to pick and choose which crimes they want to enforce -their job is to enforce the law. If the law says you gotta clean up after your dog and they see you not doing it, then their job is to write the $300 ticket. Period. Do waiters get to pick and choose which customers they're going to serve? Do nurses pick and choose which people they'll help? Why should cops be allowed that right?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
egoldhyip

Scoop it up and leave it on the owner's door step! It should only take one time and problem solved

Old 01-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
theatadug

what is required to get this enforced?

does a cop have to drive by and see it happening?

can you report someone?

take a video of the act?

just wondering because there are some piece of sh!t dog owners near 2nd and brown that don't clean up after their dog ....

especially that cleared out lot on the corner ...... that lot has become a minefield of sh!t
You need to elect a few Republicans. The current cops do not care about enforcing quality of life laws. The politicans do not put the departments feet to the fire. The end result is there are neighborhoods filled with trash, graffiti, and crime.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #16
rfceicizgm

The cop apologists will tell you the cops were too busy chasing a er.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #17
encumeterz

You trashy scofflaw!

I think they're going to start enforcing dog poop fines slightly after our violent crimes start resulting in convictions. (This is not a statement as to say that dog poop doesn't matter but since our city can't even figure out the latter, we don't have much hope.)

Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #18
Almolfuncomma

Scoop it up and leave it on the owner's door step! It should only take one time and problem solved

Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #19
BashBeissedat

so just because there is snow on the ground people dont feel the need to pick up their dogs crap

listen dirtbag dog owner ... the snow melts and then there is dog sh!t everywhere

Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #20
Tzqowwyt

You need to elect a few Republicans.
Ah, if it were only that simple.

Reply to Thread New Thread