LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #81
bribiaLaubysdggf

You really think so?
We still climb Mnt Everest.
We still circumnavigate the world in dingys.

No "the boldly go where no bastard has gone before" will always be with us, along with of course our search and thirst for knowledge [a robot does not compare really to the human touch and art of free will] to discover other life.
neither climbing Mt Everest not circumnavigating the world in a dingy is an example of "boldly going where no one has gone before" They are example of individuals trying to achieve personal goals.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #82
fotodemujerahldesnugdo

In an attempt to save the thread from trolling & stuff, I have an actual question.
Since we know that zero-G causes loss of bone mass and 1-G doesn't, as we have a reasonable amount of data on zero-G living and a heck of a lot on 1-G, would it be possible to add a centrifuge section to the ISS to gather data on the region between 0 and 1 G?
The point being that we are quite likely to go to Mars within a couple of decades and it'd be good to be prepared with the knowledge of what 0.38 G's does to the human body as we currently have zero data on that. We have a very small amount but I suspect not enough from the 0.17 G's on the Moon.
Not an easy experiment to do but ultimately worthwhile I suspect.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #83
SpecialOFFER

I don't agree the humans will need a physical presence in space unless we actual find life. Everything else can be done more efficiently and cheaper by a machine.

Going just for the sake of going is a bit pointless and far too risky.
That's OK, but your wrong on both counts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>
Well we're either wanting to do science, or wanting to satisfy our destiny.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Both.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>
would it be possible to add a centrifuge section to the ISS to gather data on the region between 0 and 1 G?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I've asked that exact question...
We would be capable of doing it, [and probably will after the life time of the present ISS] but damn costs are far more to do it.

Building a a space station ala 2001: A Space Odyssey would cover all contingencies with 1G at the circumference, reducing the further towards the center we go to cover for all possible experiemnts.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #84
12Dvop4I

neither climbing Mt Everest not circumnavigating the world in a dingy is an example of "boldly going where no one has gone before" They are example of individuals trying to achieve personal goals.
Until 1953 no one had scaled Everest......and anyway the similarity is obvious despite your blinkers.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #85
XiWm9O9S

You're
So let me guess - no sensible answers yet?
I don't know the formulas for centripetal acceleration off the top of my head; how big would the centrifuge have to be to make, say, 0.5 G's at the outer ring?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #86
DoctorWeryDolt

Wouldn't it more be a matter of how fast its rotating?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #87
anolbom

Wouldn't it more be a matter of how fast its rotating?
Yeah sorry I forgot to define that. You'd need to know either the rotational period and/or the diameter.
So say a bunch of heavy-lift rockets were used to lift the components up and make the ring about ...... 30 metres in diameter .... ?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #88
ådrrraj

What mass would that be as well, not that it matters to the actual rotation, but the whole thing would need to be accelerated?

Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #89
VodsNittats

Yeah sorry I forgot to define that. You'd need to know either the rotational period and/or the diameter.
So say a bunch of heavy-lift rockets were used to lift the components up and make the ring about ...... 30 metres in diameter .... ?
I'll see what I can find out from some 2001 A Space Odyssey. There science was pretty close to the mark.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #90
viepedorlella

What mass would that be as well, not that it matters to the actual rotation, but the whole thing would need to be accelerated?
Yep, good point. You'd have to do it by either using small rockets (no Newtonian reaction) or have another flywheel spin-up the other way to counteract it.
It's getting messy ......

Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #91
avavavava

Diameter
~300 m (984 ft)
Height
~150 m (495 ft) along rotational axis
Average speed
~17,500 mph (5 miles/ second)
Orbital Period
91 minutes
Rotational Period
61 seconds
Altitude
~210 miles
Era(s)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Affiliation
USA; USSR; Hilton Hotels

http://2001.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Station_V

2001: A Space Odyssey, was known for its scientific accuracy, so this may be right.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #92
RlUbQU3R

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don't worry...The Space Engineers with NASA and other companies will sort it all out. :-)

Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #93
zatronanec

Diameter
~300 m (984 ft)
Height
~150 m (495 ft) along rotational axis
Average speed
~17,500 mph (5 miles/ second)
Orbital Period
91 minutes
Rotational Period
61 seconds
Altitude
~210 miles
Era(s)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Affiliation
USA; USSR; Hilton Hotels

http://2001.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Station_V

2001: A Space Odyssey, was known for its scientific accuracy, so this may be right.
Of course it has no references, so the likelihood its correct is matched by the likelihood its not.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #94
UriDepkeeks

The Important fact from where I sit/stand with regards to rotating space stations to mimic gravity , is that the speed of the rotation would depend on the diameter of the outer wheel, and as such, the rotational speed would need to be high if the diameter was not large enough, and perhaps unmanageable,
So any future space station that would like to have 1G at the rim, would need to be fairly large diameter.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #95
JesexhiSeeces

It's like when Frank Whittle explained his jet engine to manufacturers of aircraft engines. He stressed the simplicity of his engine's design and function.

"Don't worry about the simplicity", said one manufacturer, "we'll soon design that out of it".

Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #96
RjkVwPcV

It's like when Frank Whittle explained his jet engine to manufacturers of aircraft engines. He stressed the simplicity of his engine's design and function.

"Don't worry about the simplicity", said one manufacturer, "we'll soon design that out of it".
Ah yes I remember that.
I had a further think about the counter-rotating rings: It'd add a lot of mass but make life a lot easier to manoeuvre the structure around. I know they have to change the attitude of the ISS every now and then for various reasons so eliminating the gyroscopic precession would pretty much be a requirement.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #97
evammaUselp

Nasa selects InSight Mars mission after Curiosity rover

Just two weeks after landing its Curiosity rover on Mars, the US space agency has announced it will send another robot to the planet in 2016.

The InSight spacecraft will be a static lander that will carry instruments to investigate Mars' deep interior.

Scientists say this will give them a clearer idea of how all the rocky planets formed - the Earth included.

InSight beat two other proposals in a competition to find Nasa's next relatively low-cost mission.

This so-called Discovery class of endeavour is cost-capped at $425m (£270; 345m euros), although that figure does not include the rocket to launch the spacecraft.

InSight stands for Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport.

It will be led from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California.

The design of the lander leans heavily on the successful Phoenix probe put on the Red Planet in 2008. But although the 2016 venture will look very similar, it will carry very different instrumentation.

A seismic experiment will listen for "marsquakes" and use this information to map the boundaries between the rock layers inside the world.

It will determine if the planet still has a liquid or solid core, and provide some clues as to why its surface is not divided up into tectonic plates like on Earth. More http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19327286

Reply to Thread New Thread