LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
TorryJens

oh yes!

I even find it worthwhile doing the work of ironing the sheets (someties).

At a basic level I think it is a sensual pleasure that all but defies description .. maybe the connotations of luxury as well might play into it?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
bestonlinepharmasy2

It's possibly confirmation bias...

but I don't sleep well in hotel beds, never have done, I'll be awake at 4.00 am, whether I go to bed at 10.00 pm or 1.00 am the night before...

Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Lkemybab

At a basic level I think it is a sensual pleasure that all but defies description .. maybe the connotations of luxury as well might play into it?
I thought, perhaps, that perceived cleanliness or hygiene may have a role. After all, unless you know the person who was in the bed before you, would you really be all that comfortable in it?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
antilt

It's possibly confirmation bias...

but I don't sleep well in hotel beds, never have done, I'll be awake at 4.00 am, whether I go to bed at 10.00 pm or 1.00 am the night before...
What about at home though? Fresh crisp sheets and pillowcases not make you sleep better?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
bestonlinepharmasy2

What about at home though? Fresh crisp sheets and pillowcases not make you sleep better?
that's the confirmation bias bit... correlating a good night's sleep with new sheets is easier than linking a good night's sleep to a non-event day...

Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
TorryJens

Maybe it IS confirmation bias?

Now that I think about it it is something I have only ever heard spoken of with real appreciation , and from my childhood, so that might just have a life of its own.

Perhaps without all that positive "history" we might be more disposed to consider the softness of today's beautifully fine fabrics, un-ironed.

(short answer; don't know)

Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
SinncmxM

Hotel rooms it's probably good to know they've been washed after God knows who dirtied them up God knows how, but to dirty them up with a friend is a different proposition.

Allergy sufferers get a special appreciation over time of clean sheets etc.

Half of it is a nest prep' thing.

Secretly we may like it because it's like being in a new bed, someone elses bed. You know that polyamorous thing in us.

Bedrooms and beds are interesting things, personally find the more minimalist a bedroom in ways has it for sleeping etc only, not too busy except when you want it so.

Bit of a nest thing, even the guys have it.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Vegeinvalge

Way overrated in my opinion! I love a slightly scruffy sleeping bag and have real nostalgic felings for that.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
HenriRow

Why do we (well me, and people I know) seem to sleep better between clean starchy sheets, especially hotel type?
I hate them. I like soft (unstarched) sheets, that are easy to pull in around you. I also hate the "hospital corners". Have to loosen them up before getting in. I only ever tuck the end of the sheet into bed at home.

Freshly laundered sheets feel good though, especially in summer.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
Arr34ston

// Freshly laundered sheets feel good though, especially in summer.

Agree;

Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
Snocioncilm

I thought, perhaps, that perceived cleanliness or hygiene may have a role. After all, unless you know the person who was in the bed before you, would you really be all that comfortable in it? Perceived is the correct word. I once worked for a well known 5 star hotel. I was horrified to learn that staff never changed the mattress protectors and simply put new sheets on the bed despite the obvious stains from various nocturnal shenanigans. Ever since then I've made a point of looking at housekeeping service trolleys. It seems to be a common occurrence at a number of places.

I no longer sleep well in hotel beds.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
EvonsRorgon

A few years back I was warned by a seasoned traveler about the sheet changing routines of many motels/hotels. We then went on holidays for 2 weeks - staying in many motels along the way. Twice I came across sheets that had obviously not been changed. It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
ebonytipchik

Perceived is the correct word. I once worked for a well known 5 star hotel. I was horrified to learn that staff never changed the mattress protectors and simply put new sheets on the bed despite the obvious stains from various nocturnal shenanigans. Ever since then I've made a point of looking at housekeeping service trolleys. It seems to be a common occurrence at a number of places.

I no longer sleep well in hotel beds.
I grew up in hotels and even if they changed the mattress protector, I still wouldn't sleep on the sheets.

I always use the 'spare' sheet they have in the closet on top of the bed. (the spare one is hardly used, usually freshly laundered and generally left alone by most guests.)

Having said that , million of people use hotels rooms everyday without any ill effects..

Mum used to iron all her sheets and pillowcases.. but then she's five kinds of crazy :P

Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
EvonsRorgon

I grew up in hotels and even if they changed the mattress protector, I still wouldn't sleep on the sheets.

I always use the 'spare' sheet they have in the closet on top of the bed. (the spare one is hardly used, usually freshly laundered and generally left alone by most guests.)

Having said that , million of people use hotels rooms everyday without any ill effects..

Mum used to iron all her sheets and pillowcases.. but then she's five kinds of crazy :P
I found a very "crunchy" stain on the spare blanket in one Oz motel.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
bonyrek

Yes

Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #16
antilt

Default Clean Starchy Sheets
It might be that you are tired from travel and new experiences, but it seems to be happen at home as well.

Why do we (well me, and people I know) seem to sleep better between clean starchy sheets, especially hotel type?

Reply to Thread New Thread