LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
KeettyGlots

Default Tablets and e-Readers
Am considering delving into this new area of tech (new to me!). I have no experience with anythng like this, including smart phones so all the bells and whistles that a tablet may offer are all foreign to me. I want a color screen, and mainly this would be used to check e-mail (and facebook!) away from home, listening to music and for playing some games. I have done some looking but unfortunately my daughter was with me and wanted one NOW. I have to do a lot of research before I plunk down my hard earned money. I have read some about "universal" and that does not mean full access to Android market. I doubt there are tons of apps that I would want or need, but don't want to find something that I do want but can't get because of the limited market a particular device might have. I do not want to invest in a full tablet at the prices I have seen, and might be happy with an e-reader. I have looked at the Nook Color but noticed that it is limited in the app market to what Barnes & Noble offers. However, that still might be good enough. I noticed Best Buy had other e-readers at lower prices and I've looked at customer reviews of different devices to try to get a feel for what users think of different models. Any information and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
artkolkovk

There are hundreds of these "tablets" out there.
I got my 11 year old grandson one of these online for 80$ plus shipping:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/20/p...-novel-review/
I tried it seems to work fine for what you ask of one.
Oh and a plug for some friends: http://www.geeks.com/search.asp?query=tablets&FIELD=ALL

Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
pseusawbappem

In my circle of friends, we have an iPad, two Nooks (e-readers), and some off-brand Tablet. And I have a Droid phone.

All I can say is that for reading books electronically, the Nooks or Kindles are freaking awesome!!! They are not backlit and are so easy on the eyes to read, even out in the sun. Now, obviously, you have to have a lamp to read them in the house when it's dark, but that's just like a book, which is what I love. When I try to read books on my Droid, my eyes begin to hurt pretty quickly and I'm sure it's due to the backlighting because it's the same kind of "hurt" that I get at work all day working on the computer.

So thankfully I overheard my kids talking about getting me a new KindleFire to replace my "old" (just because something is a couple of years old does not make it old) Nook. I had to tell them Please Don't because I like the simplicity of the Nook.

Sorry, that's probably no help for what you were wanting.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Piediahef

I too have a Nook and a smart phone, both can do those things. I love my Nook, would not trade it for anything!! My phone gets on my nerves, I think it thinks its smarter than me, LOL!!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
GaryBulguihb

Amazon is beginning to put out books JUST for kindle. If you don't have Kindle...sorry!

Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
nikolapegayyyaasss

Kindle Fire is probably most bang for the buck. You will be limited to Amazon's App store but it is much larger then B&N.

But I have a color nook that I have rooted and rommed with a full Android tablet OS. So there is that route as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #7
virtuah

thanks everyone for the information. Whatever I get will mostly be used by my 25 yr old disabled daughter. She doesn't read well enough to benefit from on the go books, although I have noticed some children's books that include audio read alongs. That she might enjoy. I expect there would be a few easy games we could find that would entertain her. When I can drag the thing away from her, I will check in on my facebook games and email. I saw the info on the Kindle Fire that is in pre-order status now. That one seems like it might have the best of the best features available for less cost than the Nook Color.

Nline, I have read about hacking or unlocking these things so they aren't limited to what comes loaded, but that is way beyond my limited technical abilities. Doesn't that void whatever warranty it would come with?

Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
fedordzen

Technically it does but if you have a problem either the thing is totally dead or you can undo it. Either way the powers that be will not know. I've rooted every phone I've ever had and returned two for warranties. No problems here.

Reply to Thread New Thread