LOGO
USA Economy
USA economic debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
actrisski

Default Anyone notice this??? Obama administration guts work requirements for Clinton-era wel
Is welfare the next "right' to pop up out of no where?

Under Clinton: Welfare to Work…

Under Obama: Work to Welfare…

Obama administration guts work requirements for Clinton-era welfare reform « Hot Air

Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
nickayary

It's a lie: PolitiFact | Mitt Romney says Barack Obama

The new rules actually increase states' flexibility on handling welfare, similar to the block grants conservatives love. Funny how the right loves states' rights and less power for the Federal government dollars, except when it's politically convenient not to.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Garry Hovard

FKD19124: You are a liar.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
NumStulpata

yeah and poltifact is actually believable?

It's a lie: PolitiFact | Mitt Romney says Barack Obama

The new rules actually increase states' flexibility on handling welfare, similar to the block grants conservatives love. Funny how the right loves states' rights and less power for the Federal government dollars, except when it's politically convenient not to.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
minowz

I heard Obama is going to put white people into FEMA concentration camps and give their houses to black people and illegal Mexicans. That is, after he replaces the Constitution with Sharia's Law (I don't know who Sharia is, but I bet she's on welfare).

Old 08-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
leangarance

WOW! when did you start smoking crack?

I heard Obama is going to put white people into FEMA concentration camps and give their houses to black people and illegal Mexicans. That is, after he replaces the Constitution with Sharia's Law (I don't know who Sharia is, but I bet she's on welfare).

Old 08-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
dhYTvlAv

yeah and poltifact is actually believable?
As opposed to hotair.com?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
AsmViktor

WOW! when did you start smoking crack?
Sarcasm, not a strong point.

If you don't believe these administrative changes are a more effective way to make sure welfare-to-work actually puts more people back to work, just listen to Governor Mitt Romney.

Not Presidential candidate Mitt Romney who now says he opposes it, but Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusettes (hey these two guys should meet and talk sometime) who in 2005 was the second signature of this letter from Republican governors asking for exactly this kind of flexibility in welfare-to-work rules.

Second signature, check it out.
http://democrats.waysandmeans.house....ney_Letter.pdf

When is Mitt going to learn to stop attacking Obama positions Romney himself very publically backed just a few years ago? This is kind of turning into a pattern.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
gZAhTyWY

well as far as I am concerned...they should keep that law intact the way it was when Clinton signed it into law.
The question is, why would you want to relax work requirements for welfare recipients? Well its no surprise because
Barack Obama in 1996 as a state senator was opposed to the work requirements. Even after President Bill Clinton agreed to sign the welfare reform bill,
half the Democrats in the House, 101 members, voted no.

Sarcasm, not a strong point.

If you don't believe these administrative changes are a more effective way to make sure welfare-to-work actually puts more people back to work, just listen to Governor Mitt Romney.

Not Presidential candidate Mitt Romney who now says he opposes it, but Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusettes (hey these two guys should meet and talk sometime) who in 2005 was the second signature of this letter from Republican governors asking for exactly this kind of flexibility in welfare-to-work rules.

Second signature, check it out.
http://democrats.waysandmeans.house....ney_Letter.pdf

When is Mitt going to learn to stop attacking Obama positions Romney himself very publically backed just a few years ago? This is kind of turning into a pattern.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
lidya-sggf

I remember when welfare reform took place. I worked a second job at night and we had a hard time recruiting employees and were often short-handed. When welfare reform took place, we got tons of applicants and new employees. Unfortunately, not a lot of these new people lasted because of their poor work ethic, chronic tardiness and absence.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
neerewed

FKD, no one has proposed to relax the requirements. Why won't you stop lying?

"HHS will only consider approving waivers relating to the work participation requirements that make changes intended to lead to more effective means of meeting the work goals of TANF." HHS Memo on the waiver

"Governors must commit that their proposals will move at least 20% more people from welfare to work compared to the state's past performance. States must also demonstrate clear progress toward that goal no later than one year after their programs take effect. If they fail, their waiver will be rescinded. And if a Governor proposes a plan that undercuts the work requirements established in welfare reform, that plan will be rejected." Letter from Sec. Sebelius to Sen. Hatch

Old 08-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
oplapofffe

Why even reform it or debate the reform?

I hate to sound like some conspiracy guy, but there is some seriously evil stuff going on in Washington right now. I think Obama, and 99% of the DC ruling class are criminals but why not play ball.

For Example:

In NY state there food stamp eligibility is based on income only, there is no asset test. I also think $4K per month is the magic number for medicare(not certain).

Think about this, you could own $10M plus of dividend champion stocks, earning 5-6% perpetually. You still qualify for food stamps as all u need to do is establish NY state residency, just pay someone $50 or so to rent their closet and mailbox.

I think everyone should just take advantage of our leaders generosity.

Why not as it moves us closer to imploding the entire system?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Imagimifouxum

like Nick said, why reform it at all?
Why not move 100% of people off of welfare?

HHS Memo on the waiver

Letter from Sec. Sebelius to Sen. Hatch

Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Wymdqcvb

Gee, I dunno. Keep living in your 50s fantasy land (which had welfare, btw).

Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
exchpaypalgold

I never said move 100% off welfare .. I advocating everyone take part in utopia.

I am suggesting everyone, no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, embrace this utopian takeover. I've always sorta known but the JRoberts ruling on the individual mandate was the very moment when I started to really physically shift things in my life.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
cemDrymnVem

Because there aren't jobs for 100% of the population, and because not 100% of the population is employable.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
Cabinanteerip

People who are not employable are usually on SSI not welfare and food stamps.

Because there aren't jobs for 100% of the population, and because not 100% of the population is employable.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
Abaanto

Lying about what?
The president does not like the work requirement. He voted against reform back in the 90s.
Now this is his chance to start turning it around to what it was before.

HHS Memo on the waiver

Letter from Sec. Sebelius to Sen. Hatch

Reply to Thread New Thread