LOGO
USA Society
USA social debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Salliter

Default PETA Sues SeaWorld for 'Enslaving' Killer Whales
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/26...killer-whales/

A federal court is being asked to grant constitutional rights to five killer whales who perform at marine parks -- an unprecedented and perhaps quixotic legal action that is nonetheless likely to stoke an ongoing, intense debate at America's law schools over expansion of animal rights.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is accusing the SeaWorld parks of keeping five star-performer whales in conditions that violate the 13th Amendment ban on slavery. SeaWorld depicted the suit as baseless.

W - T - F? I guess it doesn't specifically say humans only in the Constitution but I guarantee you that when the 13th Amendment was ratified "animal rights" was not on the minds of legislators. Really PETA? If they released them now - wouldn't they be in more harm after being held captive for so long? Once you think you've heard everything, here comes PETA.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
nTDsD0aU

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/26...killer-whales/

A federal court is being asked to grant constitutional rights to five killer whales who perform at marine parks -- an unprecedented and perhaps quixotic legal action that is nonetheless likely to stoke an ongoing, intense debate at America's law schools over expansion of animal rights.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals is accusing the SeaWorld parks of keeping five star-performer whales in conditions that violate the 13th Amendment ban on slavery. SeaWorld depicted the suit as baseless.

W - T - F? I guess it doesn't specifically say humans only in the Constitution but I guarantee you that when the 13th Amendment was ratified "animal rights" was not on the minds of legislators. Really PETA? If they released them now - wouldn't they be in more harm after being held captive for so long? Once you think you've heard everything, here comes PETA.
The Constitution labels the rights of "Persons" which is very well defined so yes you're right, PETA is engaged in more attention-seeking than legitimate legal claims. Since they probably figure most of the US Citizens probably are not aware what the right of "persons" actually means (maybe are not aware themselves) they figure they can get the American collective mind supporting the idea that the whale's "Constitutional Rights" are being violated.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
ignonsoli

I wonder if they have thought this through. If animals have rights as they claim, does that mean thsoe animals who were killed last week can now sue the govt for denying them a right to due process? What of the deer shot by a hunter? Is he now guilty of murder? Or the shark who bites someone, is that manslaughter, or grevious bodily harm?>?>

Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
ulw7A8Po

I hope whoever signed the complaint wasn't a lawyer. If he is, he just put his law license in jeopardy for filing a suit with no legal basis.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
spapsinee

I hope whoever signed the complaint wasn't a lawyer. If he is, he just put his law license in jeopardy for filing a suit with no legal basis.
Oh they do have a lawyer (PETA that is) defending this for them lol.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
no02rSx2

Ah PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals, up to new tricks to get in the news. Good for them.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Qeiafib

I feel that I must say that all whales that are being kept in large tanks, performing for humans, are being held against their own wills. Now I must dump a truck load of krill down my master whales head hole, or I will be punished. LONG LIVE WHALES!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
Forex Autopilot

I was going to have a salad for dinner tonight, but now I think I'll have a steak. And I might just throw away some chicken thighs I have in the freezer just to waste them, and go buy more tomorrow. Why? Because f#*k PETA, that's why.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #9
ZAtlLVos

PETA...People Eating Tasty Animals

Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #10
YabbaIn

Captivity of "higher" animals like whales and apes is controversial... but going so far as to say they have Constitutional rights is pretty silly.

But with that said, keeping a large animal in a small container so humans can gawk at him is pretty frivolous.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
shihoodiacarf

Captivity of "higher" animals like whales and apes is controversial... but going so far as to say they have Constitutional rights is pretty silly.

But with that said, keeping a large animal in a small container so humans can gawk at him is pretty frivolous.
I agree, I think they're shooting their own cause in the foot though by playing off the media sensationalism on the word "Constitutionality". I think the "rather go naked" campaign was win, I wouldn't change a thing!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #12
Gudronich

While I agree...it's worth a shot, I guess. If corporations can be people, why not whales?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #13
risyGreeple

Because whales don't bribe Congressmen.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #14
reervieltnope

And if whales are people, so too would cockroaches, flees, ticks, etc..

Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #15
XangadsX

So, garhkal, what you are saying is that my yearly bath to drown them dudes is bad? The next thing that you'll be saying is for me to use soap and shampoo, right? You are such a dilettante!

I remember, back in the day, when we used sand!

And we liked it!

I'm old. Bummerdrag, eh!

Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #16
Agrisalia

I wouldn't put it past PETA if this suit is a victory for them, to then try and go after pest exterminators next for mass murder.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
RSAccountssy

My daughter fell to the ploys and plots of PETA in high school. Until I lured back with lashings of steaks, tacos, bacon, and such like.

Now, come on! PETA People are people too, just like y'all and me! Oh. Wait. No, they're not. Sorry, I just got up. I was thinking about Muppets. They are a lot more human than PETA People.

The other day, I was out riding around with an acquaintance. I told him that I was hosting a meeting of Green Peace and PETA People, and would he come to that meeting? Which was a joke. He put me out and I had to walk 15 miles back to my house. That'll teach me!

If the animals have human rights because they are human, why don't the cows just rise up and kill their masters? And wear signage of their own making? 'Kows is Kule! Doan't Bee Killeng Uss! Mooo!!!'

And why don't cats get mad at people for thinking that they are human, because as we all know, they are like gods or something, from Egypt. NOT!!!

And dogs! What if we actually made them work for a living, instead of letting them lay about, being adorable and stupid?

Now I have to go out and check my live traps, because dead/wounding traps are illegal. To think that I obviously have to shoot whatever is in them there live traps!

Reply to Thread New Thread