LOGO
USA Society
USA social debate

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
Loopyjr

Default Texas Politicians Fight to Stop Confederate Flag License Plate
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/23...est=latestnews

A proposed Texas license plate created to honor Confederate veterans is under fire from elected officials who have vowed to protest the plate’s Confederate flag design, the Houston Chronicle reports.

"We cannot allow the state to issue a symbol of intimidation," U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Houston, said to a crowd of community leaders outside the Civil Courthouse Saturday.

Lee and other officials plan to go to Austin on Nov. 10, when the Department of Motor Vehicles votes on the design, with petitions and a letter from 17 state legislators to persuade them to vote against the license plates.

Sen. Rodney Ellis, D-Houston, said that allowing these license plates would be allowing the people who lost a war to write history.

How would allowing a Confederate flag license plate "write history?" I'm from the Midwest so I grew up in the "North" my whole life but we can't sit back and forget about the history of the Civil War. We can't just ignore those that died and pretend like it didn't happen. I don't agree with slavery but the North wasn't much better. People had slaves in the Northern states.

The Confederate flag does not have to mean 'slavery' or whatever people want it to mean. Like it or not, it's part of the history of the Southern states and why can't they acknowledge their history? It's just to remember the Confederate soldiers.

I've talked to a lot of black people who say they don't get bothered by a Confederate flag. The only reason something has a meaning behind is that people let it have that meaning. It's just a flag. A flag doesn't promote racism anymore than an ideology promotes hate. People behind certain ideologies are what push those things.

I don't see the big deal of having available a license plate withe Confederate flag for those who want it. The Confederate flag is no more a symbol of racism than the swastika is a symbol of genocide and hate. Before the Nazis stole that it was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.