LOGO
USA Society
USA social debate

Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
mosypeSom

Default Affordable Care Act on the Chop Block, Obama comes out swinging for Obamacare!
US President Barack Obama on Monday challenged the "unelected" Supreme Court not to take the "extraordinary" and "unprecedented" step of overturning his landmark health reform law.

Though Obama said he was confident the court would uphold the law, the centerpiece of his political legacy, he appeared to be previewing campaign trail arguments should the nine justices strike the legislation down.

In a highly combative salvo, Obama also staunchly defended the anchor of the law -- a requirement that all Americans buy health insurance -- as key to giving millions of people access to treatment for the first time.

"Ultimately, I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said.

Pointed comments from Supreme Court justices last week during three days of compelling hearings have convinced many commentators that the court, expected to rule in June, will declare the law, dubbed ObamaCare, unconstitutional.

Read more:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/combative-o...v1Exy-Pzsy#_=_

Thoughts?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
AliceFromHouston

Elect a Chicago politician and you get a Chicago Politician.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
njfeedd3w

Elect a Chicago politician and you get a Chicago Politician.
It's scary how realistic the Starz series "Boss" is beginning to look!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Spongebob

Thoughts?
Obama is outta line on this one. This is what the Supreme Court does...they are unelected positions by design.

Usually, it is conservatives crying about "activist judges"..which roughly translates to "I don't like that ruling"

Old 04-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
corkBrobe

US President Barack Obama on Monday challenged the "unelected" Supreme Court not to take the "extraordinary" and "unprecedented" step of overturning his landmark health reform law.

Though Obama said he was confident the court would uphold the law, the centerpiece of his political legacy, he appeared to be previewing campaign trail arguments should the nine justices strike the legislation down.

In a highly combative salvo, Obama also staunchly defended the anchor of the law -- a requirement that all Americans buy health insurance -- as key to giving millions of people access to treatment for the first time.

"Ultimately, I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama said.

Pointed comments from Supreme Court justices last week during three days of compelling hearings have convinced many commentators that the court, expected to rule in June, will declare the law, dubbed ObamaCare, unconstitutional.

Read more:

Thoughts?
If he is so confident that the court's will uphold HIS law, why is he even saying anything? Why would you want government run healthcare? Why would you want your access to the health care system rationed by the government? What makes you think government run healthcare would be better than privately run healthcare? The GOVERNMENT can't even work to help balance the nation's budget. Healthcare is not better in Canada or Europe. If you think it is, go over there and do your research. You will be very surprised at what you find. Why would you support a half baked health care bill? A bill that was never meant to see the light of day, but was ramrodded through Congress a day before the balance of power shifted. Before a conference committee got a chance to fix the hundreds of issues in a 2000 page bill. Do you realize in 2014 when the mandates start, that the CBO has estimated it will cost an average of $28,000 annually to insure every working American through their employer? The penalty for employers not providing insurance will be…………..$2000.00 annually. Let’s see, pay $28,000 or pay $2000? What do you think employers are going to do? What do you think employees will think about Obamacare then. And then what do you think the costs will be? And then what do you think the government will do when the costs go through the roof? I know you think I’m a subversive right winger. I’m not. But I know enough about the bill to say that in a half dozen years it will be a catastrophe. And I know when I enter my later years I don’t want my access to healthcare rationed by a government that is desperate to get costs down. I don’t think you do either.
Don't Drink The Koolaid. Many Americans did and it’s why the Supreme Court is ruling on the bill. It has huge implications for America. And while you may not like it, it goes to the heart of the constitution and the separation of powers.
You might not like that either; however, it’s what America was built on, and what federal government proponents have been attempting to erode for over a century.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
dalnecymync

If he is so confident that the court's will uphold HIS law, why is he even saying anything? Why would you want government run healthcare? Why would you want your access to the health care system rationed by the government? What makes you think government run healthcare would be better than privately run healthcare? The GOVERNMENT can't even work to help balance the nation's budget. Healthcare is not better in Canada or Europe. If you think it is, go over there and do your research. You will be very surprised at what you find. Why would you support a half baked health care bill? A bill that was never meant to see the light of day, but was ramrodded through Congress a day before the balance of power shifted. Before a conference committee got a chance to fix the hundreds of issues in a 2000 page bill. Do you realize in 2014 when the mandates start, that the CBO has estimated it will cost an average of $28,000 annually to insure every working American through their employer? The penalty for employers not providing insurance will be…………..$2000.00 annually. Let’s see, pay $28,000 or pay $2000? What do you think employers are going to do? What do you think employees will think about Obamacare then. And then what do you think the costs will be? And then what do you think the government will do when the costs go through the roof? I know you think I’m a subversive right winger. I’m not. But I know enough about the bill to say that in a half dozen years it will be a catastrophe. And I know when I enter my later years I don’t want my access to healthcare rationed by a government that is desperate to get costs down. I don’t think you do either.
Don't Drink The Koolaid. Many Americans did and it’s why the Supreme Court is ruling on the bill. It has huge implications for America. And while you may not like it, it goes to the heart of the constitution and the separation of powers.
You might not like that either; however, it’s what America was built on, and what federal government proponents have been attempting to erode for over a century.
Was this rant directed towards me? I'm no friend to Government controlled anything for the record, I personally just found this subject highly worthy of discussion.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
Hrennilasi

Was this rant directed towards me? I'm no friend to Government controlled anything for the record, I personally just found this subject highly worthy of discussion.
Okay, so here are the issues as I understand them:

The bill would REQUIRE certain things of insurance companies. For one, they could not eliminate people based on pre-existing conditions. Which is a sickness or injury you have before your insurance starts.

So, this is like, totally not fair for insurance companies because then people would only get insurance once they get sick or injured. I mean you buy insurance in case shit happens...if you could wait for it to happen and THEN buy insurance expecting them to pay for all your medical...well, that is a losing proposition for insurance companies.

So, Obama is like, well, hey then we'll just require everyone to have health insurance, they you companies will get all these customers you never had before...thus making more money...but then you can't turn them down if they have a pre-existing condition. Oh, and if everyone has health insurance, it should be cheaper, too, since you have more healthy people pay premiums that don't use any medical care.

Well, people are saying, "Yo, that's not fair...you can't make me buy insurance if I don't want it." Which is the main question before the SCOTUS.

I get the argument, in a purely free market idyllic sense.

However, the health care industry is at a disadvantage, because if some guy comes to the ER bleeding out, but made his choice not to buy health insurance, the ER still has to take him.

The true free market solution would be...we'll just have to let people (including children) die that either can't afford health insurance, or choose not to get it. You're also going to have kids with cancer that can't get medications, etc. Not everyone is okay with that, really. In fact, I think most people are not. So, tha'ts no good.

Now what Obama is saying is "hey, if you can't make everyone buy insurance, then we can't make the insurance companies cover everyone."

Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
SaraKonradtt

Read more:

Thoughts?
They may be unellected, but they are apointed there to do just what they are doing.. MAKE legal rulings. So if Obama does not like their rulings, TOUGH!.. Especially since he appointed 2 to the damn thing.

So, this is like, totally not fair for insurance companies because then people would only get insurance once they get sick or injured. I mean you buy insurance in case shit happens...if you could wait for it to happen and THEN buy insurance expecting them to pay for all your medical...well, that is a losing proposition for insurance companies. In essence i agree, but i have known some who were wanting to buy it but their pre existing conditions prevented it..

The true free market solution would be...we'll just have to let people (including children) die that either can't afford health insurance, or choose not to get it. You're also going to have kids with cancer that can't get medications, etc. Not everyone is okay with that, really. In fact, I think most people are not. So, tha'ts no good. While i and some others would agree with the initial part of this... too many bleeding hearts would decry this as being harsh/wrong/inhuman etc...

Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
escolubtessen

Military members are covered by "government run health insurance." Often their parents are covered by Medicare, another "government run health insurance." The extremely poor are covered by Medicaid, another "government run health insurance."
Friends of mine have adult children who are now covered by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. My brother and his wife can now get insurance, even though they've each had serious health care issues; him, back surgery, her breast cancer. They can't afford private insurance, because they own a small mom & pop business in rural Missouri, and don't qualify for Medicaid because they paid off their land, and then built a home on it, as they could afford to, 40 years ago. They have very limited income, enough to qualify for medicaid, but they'd have to sell their home, and then couldn't afford to rent. It's a no win.
What about the fact that each and every state in this country REQUIRES car insurance in order for you to drive a vehicle. What is so terribly different about health care insurance? EVERYONE in this country will need health care UNLESS YOU'RE BORN AT HOME, DIE RIGHT AFTERWARD, AND SEEK NO MEDICAL CARE FOR THE DEAD CHILD OR THE MOTHER. Other than that, everyone needs medical care. Kids need to be immunized to go to school, kids need a physical to be able to participate in school sports, ER visits for sutures or a cast for a minor accident, ER/ICU stays for major accidents. It's extremely rare that any of us get through this life without getting medical care. So, is it because the big, bad Federal government wants you to do it....the same big, bad Federal government that currently takes care of military members, even allowing them the opportunity to have civilian vs military care and it's paid for....that same big, bad, overreaching Federal government? The civilian sector doesn't have those kind of options unless they have the funds to pay more than $500/month for a single person and more than $800-$1000/month for a family. You can afford that if you're a 1% person, but the majority of the 99% can't.
If they'd gone with a single payer system for the Affordable Care Act, it wouldn't be before the Supreme Court right now. President Obama was trying to build consensus, and ended up with the cobbled mess that we have now, but which still gives people with pre-existing conditions the ability to get coverage, and the adult children to get coverage up to age 26.
As to the "poor insurance companies?" Really? Honest to God, most of us would think we'd died and gone to heaven if we got to be an executive with one of those "poor insurance companies" with a multimillion dollar salary and multi-million dollar bonuses, based on denying care, prolonging claim settlement and gaining millions of dollars in interest from fees paid and payments delayed. We need a single payer system, mandated for ALL, which will bring down the costs of care and bring the United States in line with the rest of the developed world.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
enencephoth

Cause you CHOOSE to get and drive a car. No one is required.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #11
Zarekylin75

AJBIGJ, LOL, I was venting in general. Was not to be taken as a direct attack on you...sorry :0)

Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #12
sherrferris

Unless you live in cities like San Francisco or New York, where public transportation is robust, you must drive a vehicle, ride a bike, roller skate, etc. So, the vast majority of the population in this country have no choice but to CHOOSE to drive a car, and they MUST have insurance. The reason many of us pay exorbitant car insurance rates is because some do CHOOSE to not buy car insurance, so when they get in accidents or cause damage or both, we all pay for them. It's the same principle.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
outfinofulpv

AJBIGJ, LOL, I was venting in general. Was not to be taken as a direct attack on you...sorry :0)
No worries, I saw the "Reply with Quote" which is fine, then all the "If you think" type of comments and I was like "I wonder if he knows I'm a member of the choir?"

Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Lidawka

Unless you live in cities like San Francisco or New York, where public transportation is robust, you must drive a vehicle, ride a bike, roller skate, etc. So, the vast majority of the population in this country have no choice but to CHOOSE to drive a car, and they MUST have insurance. The reason many of us pay exorbitant car insurance rates is because some do CHOOSE to not buy car insurance, so when they get in accidents or cause damage or both, we all pay for them. It's the same principle.
I'll leave my own thoughts aside and just play devil's advocate a moment, wouldn't it be appropriate for the states of California and New York to address these concerns? Not the Federal Government who is bound by Constitutional constraints and has limited direct knowledge of the local laws and regulations which control the finer details? You don't bring in the General to assign EMI, seems a bit inappropriate to bring in Uncle Sam to sort out something he has so limited knowledge of, don't ya think?

Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
Illirmpipse

Faulty reasoning. If you don't have a car, you don't need insurance for it. However, if an American gets seriously ill, odds are he's going to dash to the nearest emergency room and demand treatment. If you're consuming resources or services, you need to buy into the system.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
alex_loudermilk

Which is why I favor doing away with that law that states emergency rooms are required to treat u even when you can't pay. To me health care is not a right that everyone should have.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #17
EnvellFen

Which is why I favor doing away with that law that states emergency rooms are required to treat u even when you can't pay. To me health care is not a right that everyone should have.
This is the 21st century. So should kids pay for their parent's bad decision making?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #18
Ternneowns

QUESTION:

So, obviously all the Republican candidates are running on the promise that they will overturn Obamacare on Day 1 of their Presidency. This is one of their main themes. So, if the SCOTUS throws it out, they no longer have that promise to run on. Will the SCOTUS overturning Obama's central legislation actually help him win reelection?

Old 04-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #19
Hodstcopter

QUESTION:

So, obviously all the Republican candidates are running on the promise that they will overturn Obamacare on Day 1 of their Presidency. This is one of their main themes. So, if the SCOTUS throws it out, they no longer have that promise to run on. Will the SCOTUS overturning Obama's central legislation actually help him win reelection?
I believe the average American is more concerned with employment and the price of gas right now.
Obamacare is a distant third. POTUS is aware of this, according to an article in the local paper taken off the AP wire.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
baskentt

This is the 21st century. So should kids pay for their parent's bad decision making?
What bad decisions?

Reply to Thread New Thread