View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #1
linchao

Default Donte-Jackson-Jersey
The Panthers linebackers performed as well as expected with one exception." />Skip to main contentclockmenumore-arrownoyesCat Scratch Reader homepageHorizontal - WhiteCat Scratch Readera Carolina Panthers communityFollow Cat Scratch Reader online:Follow Cat Scratch Reader on TwitterFollow Cat Scratch Reader on FacebookLog in or sign upLog InSign UpSite searchSearchSearchCat Scratch Reader main menuFanpostsFanshotsSectionsAboutPanthersOddsShopStubHubMoreAll 321 blogs on Horizontal - WhiteFanposts Fanshots Sections Keep Sounding PodcastPanthers 2019 Training CampCSR Film RoomPanthers 2018 season review: LinebackersNew Cam Newton Color Rush Jersey ,14commentsThe Panthers linebackers performed as well as expected with one exception.ESTShare this storyShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterShareAll sharing optionsShareAll sharing options for:Panthers 2018 season review: LinebackersTwitterFacebookRedditPocketFlipboardEmailPhoto by Kevin C. Cox/Getty ImagesThe Panthers’ linebackers were the strength of the defense in 2018. It all starts with Pro Bowl middle linebacker Luke Kuechly who enjoyed another elite season, grading out as the second best linebacker in the game. Only the Seahawks’ Bobby Wagner graded out higher. From Pro Football Focus:On the strong side the ever reliable and resilient Thomas Davis had his best season since 2015. Weak side linebacker Shaq Thompson on the other hand didn’t have the break out season we were hoping for. In fact his snaps fell significantly as the season progressed until being put on injured reserve before the season finale. Luke Kuechly2018 stats: 16 starts, 130 combined tackles, two sacks, six passes defensed and two forced fumblesAs tempting as it would be to simply say “It’s Luke Kuechly and he is an elite player. ‘Nuff said” that would be a huge disservice to the Panthers team captain. Kuechly is not only elite but a model of consistency for the past five seasons.Kuechly will remain the centerpiece of the Panthers defense for as long as he wants to play this game. Thomas Davis2018 stats: 12 starts, 79 combined tackles, six passes defensedI am completely amazed at what Thomas Davis has accomplished in his thirteen year career in Carolina. Even more so when I consider he had his third ACL surgery in 2011 and yet still played at a high level in 2018. That’s seven seasons for those not counting. Hell Michael Palardy Jersey , Davis has basically had two careers wrapped around a couple very severe knee injuries. I’m not here to argue for Davis’ return in 2019 but I will say his leadership will be missed. Davis is an inspiration to those around him and a guy who leads by example. He never shied away from owning up to his mistakes either. You know what I’m talking about. While his 2018 performance wasn’t on par with some previous seasons he was still considered a top 100 player at the start of the season.I think if anything was missing it was the big plays we were used to Davis making in the past.Shaq Thompson2018 stats: 11 starts, 79 combined tackles, 3.5 sacks, one pass defensed and one forced fumbleThompson was the guy we really expected to break out in 2018 but for some reason it didn’t happen. When I look at the PFF grades on the season in the top chart the one thing that stands out is Thompson’s poor pass coverage. With his speed I would have expected a better performance. It may be the scheme sure, but I’m positive the Panthers were looking for more as well. It is very disappointing to to see his performance decline like it has right when we thought he would take off. I’d really like some insight on this development for sure. David Mayo2018 stats: Three starts, 14 combined tackles, one pass defensedMayo was the first linebacker off the bench in 2018 but otherwise left little impression. He is no A.J. Klein https://www.carolinapanthersfanshop....m-Mills-Jersey , the former Kuechly back up who had to leave to get a starting gig. It wouldn’t surprise me if Mayo loses his spot to one of the rookie linebackers the Panthers drafted last season.Best case scenario for him is he returns as a back-up once again.Jermaine Carter & Andre SmithCarter played only 85 snaps in 2018 so we didn’t get much of a look at him. He seems to be leading his fellow rookie Andre Smith though, since Smith only got 11 snaps all season. It was a bit of a surprise to see both players make the roster in 2018 but that may not be the case in 2019. I expect to see more of Carter though, who could make his way to the second string with a strong offseason. CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Cam Newton insists he isn’t missing a game.The Panthers quarterback said he’ll be ready to play against the Browns on Sunday despite lingering pain in his throwing shoulder. But coach Ron Rivera wasn’t quite as certain Wednesday, leaving the door open by saying, “We’ll see. We’re not even to Friday.”More than 20 months after having surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff, the 6-foot-5 https://www.carolinapanthersfanshop....caffrey-Jersey , 245-pound giant of a quarterback is still experiencing pain and discomfort in his right shoulder that is limiting what he can do on the field. Offensive coordinator Norv Turner has limited Newton’s downfield throws this season and twice replaced the league’s 2015 MVP with backup Taylor Heinicke when lining up for Hail Mary passes.Newton reps were limited in practice Wednesday — as they have been for several weeks — as part of Rivera calls “the new normal.”The Panthers (6-6) are a half-game behind the Vikings in the race for the second NFC wild card spot following a disappointing 24-17 loss to the Buccaneers last Sunday in which Newton was intercepted four times.Newton has thrown downfield fewer times this year than at any point in his career. That’s by design in order to prevent his shoulder from wearing out. As a result, he’s completing a career-high 69.5 percent of his passes, mostly because of the used of check-downs and short passes underneath the coverage.Rivera said Newton and the offensive coaches are “doing the best they can” to manage the situation. He said it’s critical that Newton communicates with coaches on how he feels.“We have to make decisions going forward as to how the offense has to click,” Rivera said. “He has to be very transparent with Norv when it comes to the plays” he can run.Browns interim coach Gregg Williams said Newton still has plenty of pop in his shoulder.“I’ve heard the reports (about the shoulder), but when I see the film I still him being able to zing in when he wants to,” Williams said. “And when he has a solid pocket where he can still get his body weight behind him, he can still do that.”When asked if he’ll need to get his shoulder addressed medically once again after the season https://www.carolinapanthersfanshop....illiams-Jersey , Newton said, “among other things.”He wouldn’t elaborate in his weekly news conference on what other parts of his body might need to be addressed, saying “c’mon, you know people are looking at this tape.”When pressed on whether he will need surgery, Newton grinned and said, “I can neither confirm nor deny.”Newton also declined to say if there’s a particular play in which he reinjured the shoulder or if it is simply the result of continued wear and tear on the body.Regardless, Newton said he doesn’t regret having the surgery in March of 2017 https://www.carolinapanthersfanshop....Jackson-Jersey , saying it “needed to be done.”But he also acknowledged he didn’t think he would still be having problems with his shoulder at this point in his NFL career.“I would not have expected me to still have the kind of things that are lingering from that, but it is what it is,” Newton said. “It’s about managing pain and understanding that you have a job to do and a responsibility to put your best product out on the field. I want to do that not only for myself but this team.”__