LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 04-20-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
HelenTay

Default What black and white Americans think about Race
A majority of blacks (54%) also report that Obama's barrier-breaking election has improved race relations in America; just 7% say it has made race relations worse. Whites, too, see progress on this front, though by much smaller margins. A plurality of whites (45%) say Obama's election has made no difference to race relations, while about a third (32%) say it has made things better and 15% say it has made race relations worse.
For example, only a small share of whites (13%) say Obama has been paying too much attention to the concerns of blacks. And while whites who score low on an index of racial liberalism have much more negative views of Obama than do other whites, it is also the case that many whites with an unfavorable opinion of the president have more liberal racial views.1

In the Pew Research survey, about two-thirds of whites (64%) say they would be fine with a member of their family marrying a black person; an additional 27% say they would be bothered but would accept it.

Among blacks, eight-in-ten (80%) say it would be fine with them if a family member were to marry a white person, and another 16% say they would be bothered but would accept it. Just 6% of whites and 3% of blacks say they could not accept a black-white interracial marriage in their family.
Seven-in-ten whites (70%) and six-in-ten blacks (60%) say that the values held by blacks and whites have become more similar in the past 10 years. Similarly, a majority of blacks (56%) and nearly two-thirds of whites (65%) say the standard of living gap between whites and blacks has narrowed in the past decade.
Some 43% of blacks now say there is a lot of anti-black discrimination, about the same as in 2001. Among whites, just 13% see a lot of anti-black bias now, down from 20% in 2001.

Moreover, among whites some 21% say that Hispanics face a lot of discrimination. As a result, Hispanics have not only passed blacks as the nation's biggest minority group, they are also now seen by slightly more Americans as frequent targets of discrimination (23% vs. 18% for African Americans). This was not the case in 2001.
But many Americans see a lot of discrimination against another group tested: gays and lesbians. Nearly half (45%) of all Americans (and 55% of all blacks) say they face a lot of discrimination. They are also much more likely to say the country needs to continue to make changes to ensure blacks have equal rights with whites. Fully eight-in-ten blacks (81%) say so, compared with just over a third (36%) of whites. But on a related question, a majority of blacks (52%) now say that blacks who cannot get ahead in this country are mainly responsible for their own situation, whereas only about a third (34%) say that racial discrimination is the main reason. Fifteen years ago, most blacks held the opposite view. Racially speaking, who is Barack Obama?

It depends on whom you ask. Offered a choice, most blacks (55%) say Obama is black, while about a third (34%) say he is mixed race. Among whites, the pattern is reversed. Most (53%) say he is mixed race, while just a quarter (24%) say he is black. Hispanics are even more inclined than whites to see him as mixed race; 61% do so.
However, later in the same survey, when respondents were asked explicitly if they consider themselves to be of mixed race -- fully one-in-six (16%) said they did, including 20% of blacks, 8% of whites and 37% of Hispanics. All taken from the poll:

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1459/yea...public-opinion

My personal opinion is that this is a good sign, black and white opinion are converging to some degree on many issues having to do with race far more than at any time in U.S. history I would think.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #2
Eh085zE7

I agree...with every passing decade race relations are improving in this country and if you look at stats that deal with the younger generation there is even more cause for optimism. Obama has definitely achieved something remarkable...it is no longer taboo for an American president to be from an ethnic/racial minority. And as far as I'm concerned, he's done a descent job as president thus far. He's moved ahead with health care reform and has ended the war in Iraq. I'm disappointed though that he did not take a similar action in Afghanistan. The economy is improving and it will probably be in better shape by 2012.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
KasaBalak

Racially speaking, who is Barack Obama?

It depends on whom you ask. Offered a choice, most blacks (55%) say Obama is black, while about a third (34%) say he is mixed race. Among whites, the pattern is reversed. Most (53%) say he is mixed race, while just a quarter (24%) say he is black. Hispanics are even more inclined than whites to see him as mixed race; 61% do so.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #4
XKAgustin

Barack is a master politicians, he is all things to all people. :-) Well enough to get elected.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Unwiseevove

I think people need to stop obsessing over the color of his skin and focus more on his policies. Way to many people voted for him just because he was black not even thinking about what he stood for.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
gDGwm8BC

The internet is certainly no indication of improved race relations, imo. Maybe it's because I'm so fascinated in athro forums, which have quite a few racists, nationalists and ethno-centrists...Then again there aren't all that many americans here (i don't think).

I guess the internet is a bit different, it's after all what made me somewhat race-obsessed, I won't lie.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
NKUDirectory

The internet is certainly no indication of improved race relations, imo. Maybe it's because I'm so fascinated in athro forums, which have quite a few racists, nationalists and ethno-centrists...Then again there aren't all that many americans here (i don't think).

I guess the internet is a bit different, it's after all what made me somewhat race-obsessed, I won't lie.
What I learned from these forums (and from real life travel) on the net is that many people from homogeneous countries are quite ignorant and hold extreme stereotypes, even about people right next to them. I think America has something special in that, although it has and does take effort, we are really, truly, a accepting people. This is why immigrants from all over prefer to come to the U.S. if they can. They know other nations might be wealthier per capita but due to being outside the "main dominant group" they won't have the same opportunities. Japan is a great example, very wealthy nation, but most other Asians would rather go to the U.S. if they can. I know Chinese who struggled and put up with a lot to get Japanese citizenship (not an easy task) just so they can later move to America. I met a Russian Jew who did the same thing with Israel. His goal was always to move to America. If most nations in the world were half as diverse people would be in the streets killing each other like no tomorrow.

France is the most diverse nation in Europe, but it is only as diverse as the American state of Ohio, less so. Ohio is not considered very diverse, it is nothing compared to most coastal states, but most of the time, for the most part various groups of people can interact at an individual level and get along, even if they don't want to hug and kiss each other, want to marry into your family, they are capable of showing respect. They are also capable of hiring you, working with you in community organizations, often (more so now than in the past) praying with you.

I have not seen things like that in most of Europe or Asia, not to the same extent.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
freddystone

When murders like these stop, then I'll know things have improved in the US.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
elossenen

So they'll never improve because random vicious crimes is the norm of any society, regardless if it's race based or not. You might as well dream of one day watching Elves prancing in the woods if you have your standards that high.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
Lyikmcmb

America has over 300 million people, murders like this are not at all common. If it was common you would not know about it because it would have only made the local news, like a lot of drug related shootings.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
Diandaplaipsy

So they'll never improve because random vicious crimes is the norm of any society, regardless if it's race based or not. You might as well dream of one day watching Elves prancing in the woods if you have your standards that high.
Random vicious crimes based on ethnic hatred are not the norm in most societies. Maybe yours. Feel free to find one instance in Peru where a couple was killed because they married a White or a Black person.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
avodeinst

Random vicious crimes based on ethnic hatred are not the norm in most societies.Maybe yours.
Vicious crimes are typical in any modern society. Typical doesn't necessarily mean an every day occurrence. It just means what you can expect to hear. Violent crimes that involve hatred are typical in areas where there are strong ethnic animosity.

Feel free to find one instance in Peru where a couple was killed because they married a White or a Black person. Yeah... because Peru is known for being a nation with such a large White and Black population, correct? Do you know anything about playing the odds? What are the odds that a Black Peruvian, few as they are, and a White Peruvian, few as they are, will get together? Then what are the odds they'd be murdered by members of these very small populations? The odds are greater in the U.S., obviously, because of the large populations of the two groups.

Why don't you actually pick a nation that has much larger minority ethnic groups. They don't have to be racial groups. But there has to be antagonism between them.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
minowz

Agreed lol...this forum definitely is no indication of improved race relations...quite a few people here would probably be for segregation and other forms of discrimination.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
Logaleta

Yeah... because Peru is known for being a nation with such a large White and Black population, correct? Do you know anything about playing the odds? What are the odds that a Black Peruvian, few as they are, and a White Peruvian, few as they are, will get together? Then what are the odds they'd be murdered by members of these very small populations? The odds are greater in the U.S., obviously, because of the large populations of the two groups.
White Peruvians would never marry Afro-Peruvians ,they just like having them as servants.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
Grapappytek

That video was sad . While I think the United States offers some of, if not the best opportunities for immigrants, including blacks. There is still things that need to improve. I think marriages like that are not as common in the U.S. Not including black immigrant women in the U.S. But yet they still lost their lives. In Europe and yes (Jackknightingstick there are many black female immigrants in europe, ect). These marriages or courtships are not as un-common and much more closer to equal.Oo there is less room for such violence. Barrack Obama appeals to almost all Americans because his background is so diverse. Although he is a black American.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
liontutuxx

White Peruvians would never marry Afro-Peruvians ,they just like having them as servants.
True.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #17
Allorneadesee

That video was sad . While I think the United States offers some of, if not the best opportunities for immigrants, including blacks. There is still things that need to improve. I think marriages like that are not as common in the U.S. Not including black immigrant women in the U.S. But yet they still lost their lives. In Europe and yes (Jackknightingstick there are many black female immigrants in europe, ect). These marriages or courtships are not as un-common and much more closer to equal.Oo there is less room for such violence. Barrack Obama appeals to almost all Americans because his background is so diverse. Although he is a black American.
Windie...are you joking me?
What is the most diverse nation in Europe?

In the EU blacks are not even 5% of the population so it is easy for 25% of black women to marry out because their are not a lot of them to begin with. What about France? How many blacks total does France have? What 5% or 6% of the total population, likely less.

In America black women are 6% of the population BY THEMSELVES (not including black men) that is nearly 18 million people.

Interracial marriage in gross numbers in the US is quite high (also remember that interracial marriage doe snot just include blacks marrying whites).

In terms of immigration of blacks or any group America by far outdoes any European nation. America takes in over 1,000,000 immigrants per yer!

If I move to Japan and I marry a Japanese woman does that mean Japanese society is open and tolerant?

No.

What it means is I'm one black man surrounded by 120 million Japanese people.

The thing is the more you have of "your people" in a given place the less likely you are to marry out.

People marry out the most when they are a small minority who don't live in ethnic enclaves, ghettos, or surrounded by co-ethnics.

In America, interracial marriage numbers are starting to decline on a yearly basis with Asians and Hispanics, some believe it is due to the increase in immigration from Asian and Hispanic nations.

Think about it, if you are an Asian kid in a high school and there are 500 people and you are 1 of 3 Asians. Two of them are the opposite sex, they are a different nationality from you. What is the odds you will date them and not someone outside your racial group?

That's the situation in the UK for example or France, very often.

In the U.S. you have nearly 40 million blacks concentrated in Southern California, the Southeast, and the East Coast...there are black communities that are not immigrant that go back centuries, so the likelihood of not having a lot of blacks Americans (African Americans) around you is lower.

Unlike Euorpe we don't have a lot of neonazi groups hanging out at train stations like in Switzerland and Germany. We don't have an American version of Le Pen or Geert Wilders that have any real popularity either, which says something about society in general.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:37 AM   #18
Hrennilasi

In America, interracial marriage numbers are starting to decline on a yearly basis with Asians and Hispanics, some believe it is due to the increase in immigration from Asian and Hispanic nations.
Asian, and Latinos still account for over 85% of the intermarraiges.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:11 AM   #19
palantownia

Asian, and Latinos still account for over 85% of the intermarraiges.
Please provide evidence for this. I can tell you already that that number is far too high.

Also, in reality when we want to talk about who is procreating with who, marriage is too high a bar in 2010. The reality is that most blacks, for example don't get married anymore. Also there is a 50% divorce rate, and most interracial marriages have higher divorce rates than mono-racial marriages (but not always, black women and white men have a lower divorce rate than white women and white men).

Proof of all this:

Marriage rates and Cohabitation rates:

http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2009/0...s-by-race.html

Interracial divorce matrix:

http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2009/0...s-by-race.html

It doesn't matter which one you choose.

If you look at % of Asian men married to white women, etc. Asian women married to white males.

You also have to think about the real population numbers.

Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders combined are about 4% of the U.S. population. Blacks are 12%, Hispanics 13%, Native Americans 1%.

So if you talk about real numbers there is no way in the would that 85% of interracial relationships (marriage or cohabitation) can be 85% Asians and Hispanics.

LOL

Do the math yourself. There are 300 million people in the U.S., blacks are about 36 million, Hispanics 39 million. Asians 12 million.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #20
Pdarasenko

The 39 million of Hispanics are only those "detected"... There are million more hidding.

Reply to Thread New Thread