LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
StarsWorld

Default Is Sol Campbell being racist or not?
Sol Campbell warned English fans to not to go to Euro 2012, cause they may come back in coffins. Its together with reports about racism and violence (shown in the video) in Poland and Ukraine (actually the video shows Ukraine but but mentiones Poland together)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18240143

Now, I understand concerns, but I believe there are ways to speak in a mature, non-ffensive and objective way. His generalisation and stigmatisation makes me think he is being racist, in the definition used by mainstream media. If I spoke in TV saying 'I am warning my friends to not to go to Lewisham and Brixton, cause they may come back in coffins' I would be called a racist for sure. How about the other way?

Do you think his attitude is racist or not?

---------- Post added 2012-05-28 at 16:59 ----------

ps I cant recall any examples of tourists coming back from Poland in coffins because of their race or nationality, but its a side issue.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
drugstore

While neo-nazism seems to be a problem there, I think Campbell is generalizing.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
AbeldeldepBug

He's an idiot. He's just parroting the usual, sensationalist garbage that the media in the west has been writing, because they can't think of anything else that people might want to read.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
85IbLcwQ

*edited*

Didn´t watch the video earlier so didn´t know it was focusing on black or non-white people going to Poland. In that case I think the warning is somewhat warranted though spiced up with biased sensationalism (like the media is). Shit, from now on I really need to start reading other peoples´ posts better and looking at the links before jumping into conclusions. A lot of stupid stuff has been said today.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
aspinswramymn

well, american government warned non-white americans that they could be mistreated by spanish police in spanish airports, seriously.

But they didn't warned the white americans for that; this guy is referring to blacks or to all british fans in general?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Alkassyinhisk

Kwestos: why is it "racist" to point out obvious problems in a country ?

he never said "this is something you see everywhere in Ukraine", he simply issued a warning to the fans who want to travel to Ukraine, especially to the negro fans.

I dont believe he said that every Ukranian is a nazi and that every negro will get beaten.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Alkanyadela

Why is Sol so threatened, are there many Tottenham fans in Poland?

Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
CAxrrAYN

He never mentioned 'black' but I think the context suggests that its about blacks. Another thing is, I dont know situation in Ukraine, but in Poland, even though there are lots of idiots on stadiums and many of them are typical idiotic kind of racist (primitive one) but its not different than elsewhere and first of all, Adolf Hitler has no admirers in Poland, even among them, it is a lie, maybe some single cases of idiots, but even nationalists in Poland (racists) rarely or never use swastika or sieg heil greeting. Its just bullshit. They rather sometimes go to cemeteries of victims of Nazi in 2War to show public they are 'good guys'.

then you find this comments on Daily Mail
Kwestos: why is it "racist" to point out obvious problems in a country ?

he never said "this is something you see everywhere in Ukraine", he simply issued a warning to the fans who want to travel to Ukraine, especially to the negro fans.

I dont believe he said that every Ukranian is a nazi and that every negro will get beaten.
I asked whether it is racist according to media definitions, not your own. According to you barely anything is racist, but its another thing, I would appreciate you to consider this point.

You dont have to say anything specifically. Plus, he is talking about coming back in a coffin. Could he list examples of football fans or any tourists coming back in a coffin in such circumstances?

In my opinion he is slightly racist, more patronising, arrogant and at least blunt, but according to media definitions, it is racism, I believe.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
CFstantony

I asked whether it is racist according to media definitions, not your own. According to you barely anything is racist, but its another thing, I would appreciate you to consider this point.
you do know that most things are racist according to the media definitions, so why ask something as obvious ?

In my opinion he is slightly racist, more patronising, arrogant and at least blunt, but according to media definitions, it is racism, I believe. look at it through his eyes please:

He is a negro and is used to preferred treatment in the modern Europe, especially given the fact how paranoid the UEFA can be about "racism", I thought every football game in Europe starts with some anti racist garbage message from that organisation, so its natural that the brain of that negro has accepted his own existence as a member of an endangered specie, and in that video he could be simply pointing out that things are different in Ukraine (he probably also mentions Poland somewhere, otherwise this topic would have never existed).
I think this Sol or something is a product of the modern European society, and his comments are the result of him being a product.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
Innockcroff

I am not sure if he is racist, but definitely he is not the sharpest knife around. Well, it's not the first time when British fans go to Poland or Ukraine to see football match. It happens almost every year I would say and, believe or not, nobody was killed so far;-)

Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #11
pIp83Uns

you do know that most things are racist according to the media definitions, so why ask something as obvious ?
Yes, it was rather a rhetoric question on my side- but I was asking of opinions of others on the matter. Maybe also pointing at some paradox and finally, processing it.

look at it through his eyes please:

He is a negro and is used to preferred treatment in the modern Europe, especially given the fact how paranoid the UEFA can be about "racism", I thought every football game in Europe starts with some anti racist garbage message from that organisation, so its natural that the brain of that negro has accepted his own existence as a member of an endangered specie, and in that video he could be simply pointing out that things are different in Ukraine (he probably also mentions Poland somewhere, otherwise this topic would have never existed).
I think this Sol or something is a product of the modern European society, and his comments are the result of him being a product.
He mentions both countries and obviously otherwise the issue probably would not have existed for me ( it doesnt mean that my opinion would be much different, but it would not be my buisness, cause yes, I dont have a duty to resolve all worlds problems, if you please)

I understand that his brain is 'washed' but seems to be washed only one side- taking side. He is very aware of racism on receiving end, but completely blind to it on the other one.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
AllAdobeOEMSoftDownload

Yes, it was rather a rhetoric question on my side- but I was asking of opinions of others on the matter. Maybe also pointing at some paradox and finally, processing it.
I gave mine (I'm one of others), now lets hear what these other others have to say about it.

I understand that his brain is 'washed' but seems to be washed only one side- taking side. He is very aware of racism on receiving end, but completely blind to it on the other one. this is the sad reality of Europe today, the locals can be very racist, but immigrants can not be racist. He is a natural product of the environment, nothing more. However, when it comes to Ukraine, I somewhat understand his concerns, ofc he exaggerates though.
I'm sure the Ukrainian authorities will do just fine, after all, most slavic countries use such events to suppress their deeply rooted inferiority complex, and present their "best side" to the outside world.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
Unrersvar

Yes i dont like this showing off and this complex too, but what can you do when people like campbell repeat historical 'hitler-like' patronising theories.

I meant 'receiving end' that he is aware of not being a victim of racism, but he is nonchalant when it comes to be a spreader of it.

I think they should ask John Terry of his opinion on all that (sarcastic humour).

Old 05-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #14
Dr. Shon Thomson

The press here in England is defiantly racist against Eastern Europeans.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #15
Illisezek

The press here in England is defiantly racist against Eastern Europeans.
Except the Guardian and Independent.

They are racist against white English people.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #16
lovespellszz

Just like most media in Sweden is against white Swedes I guess.

The video is biased. Why should racism be bigger in Ukraine and Poland than Britain. I don´t think it is.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #17
2swasseneons

Sol Campbell warned English fans to not to go to Euro 2012, (...)
... bacause he wants them to save money for the Olimpic Games held in ... London in 2 month time.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #18
Anaedilla

It's the Poles and Ukes who have to worry about the British soccer hooli... fans arriving the country.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #19
ZIZITOPER

It is mainly Daily Mail which has been targeting EE, partially the Sun too, but Daily Mail is just obsessed about this and very manipulative too. I noticed a few times how they gave false or manipulated info.

They have a long history of being anti- immigrant though and dont forget before second war Daliy Mail was supporting fascists and Nazi, both in Germany and UK.
The minor misdeeds of individual Nazis would be submerged by the immense benefits the new regime is already bestowing on Germany (1933).

—Lord Rothermere, publisher

Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #20
Liskaspexia

I wouldn't mind visiting Poland, but there's no way in hell I'd visit the Ukraine since I learned what they were doing to prepare for the tournament (burning stray animals alive).

Reply to Thread New Thread