LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
dmitrynts

Default Afro-Latinos vs other Afro diasporans
By the threads I have seen lately, I see non- Latino Afro-Diasporan have an extreme concept of race opposed to Afro-Latinos, why is this?
Why they give that importance to race and identity opposed to Afro-latinos, who seem more flexible when to this refers.Afro-latinos are more interested in culture and traditions rather than just race.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
Pete789

Afro-descendants not from Latin America tend to only recognize and acknowledge their African side, and would call someone with any African heritage "black".

Old 12-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
hiedeemom

By the threads I have seen lately, I see non- Latino Afro-Diasporan have an extreme concept of race opposed to Afro-Latinos, why is this?
Why they give that importance to race and identity opposed to Afro-latinos, who seem more flexible when to this refers.Afro-latinos are more interested in culture and traditions rather than just race.
well for Aframs, America focuses alot on race and have separated Aframs based on pheno, so now we have continued this tradition of dealing with race rather than just accepting what we are.

However, I think that we have times or in general we see everyone in the diaspora as one or like us.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
indartwm

Afro-descendants not from Latin America tend to only recognize and acknowledge their African side, and would call someone with any African heritage "black".
That's an African American One Drop Rule thing.

Rihanna was called "White" in Barbados because she was lighter than the vast majority of Bajans. So, racial terms vary depending on the country.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
johnsonjunior

Well some people would consider it extreme when AfroColombians and Colombians in general only consider people who look straight SSA, Black...

Old 12-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Biradallo

Well some people would consider it extreme when AfroColombians and Colombians in general only consider people who look straight SSA, Black...
Makes more sense to me than calling quadroons "black".

Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
Thifiadardivy

It makes sense for quadroons to be called white? In Colombia, I've seen "mulattos" even be called white.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:37 AM   #8
yarita

its like reversed in Colombia then. Here, we focus so much on race because of the ODR, it is even among Aframs now you can be light or dark complexioned and black. the next question would be ' are you mixed?"

Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
derty

However, I think that we have times or in general we see everyone in the diaspora as one or like us.
Until they speak about any racial issues, while we respect your concepts of race, we don't accept it,as we have our own, but we focus more on our culture and traditions and keeping it alive.

Afro-Latinos sees other diasporans as siblings but not as the same as us, we are also regionalistic, as afro-PR see other afroes of other countires as distinct too.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #10
Kubasarika

its like reversed in Colombia then. Here, we focus so much on race because of the ODR, it is even among Aframs now you can be light or dark complexioned and black. the next question would be ' are you mixed?"
In Colombia you have to look really SSA to be considered Black or Afro. Cartagena is filled with Afromixed people, but they do not consider themselves Black. Black in Cartagena is Palenquero:

Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #11
Scukonaher

yea, I guess it would depend on how you define 'black'. even Aframs may not see someone light with long hair as straight black. it's a misconstruction still. We have this expected ' black' look despite the biological construction of our race.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #12
Anakattawl

We also do consider them Black if they look pred SSA also.

---------- Post added 2011-12-26 at 14:42 ----------

In Colombia you have to look really SSA to be considered Black or Afro. Cartagena is filled with Afromixed people, but they do not consider themselves Black. Black in Cartagena is Palenquero:

Palenquero is more like a regional thing than racial, it si like "from Palenque"

Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
dmitrynts

Until they speak about any racial issues, while we respect your concepts of race, we don't accept it,as we have our own, but we focus more on our culture and traditions and keeping it alive.

Afro-Latinos sees other diasporans as siblings but not as the same as us, we are also regionalistic, as afro-PR see other afroes of other countires as distinct too.
yea. We are not the same race but have cultural similarities. Its really during certain times when it comesin handy.

Race is too complicated amongst our own groups to see us all as the sameRace.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:44 AM   #14
SmuffNuSMaxqh

We also do consider them Black if they look pred SSA also.

---------- Post added 2011-12-26 at 14:42 ----------

Palenquero is more like a regional thing than racial, it si like "from Palenque"
It is not a region. Palenque is a VILLAGE. It is 'racial' because anyone who looks straight SSA is thought to be Palenquero.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #15
RagonaCon

that would be unfair to people like you who's highly admixed but identify with being 'black'. But I guess its like here where Aframs with certain Euro features are assumed to be mixed or have mixedparents

Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #16
BebopVT

that would be unfair to people like you who's highly admixed but identify with being 'black'. But I guess its like here where Aframs with certain Euro features are assumed to be mixed or have mixedparents
They overstand though when I mention my Barbacoano heritage, because Barbacoas is so Black they just have to be like ok, he's one of us.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #17
E4qC1qQ5

It is not a region. Palenque is a VILLAGE. It is 'racial' because anyone who looks straight SSA is thought to be Palenquero.
because perhaps they think all SSA looking individuals are from palenque or that they are the most common on there.Still Palenque is a village aka a place or region.

---------- Post added 2011-12-26 at 14:48 ----------

yea. We are not the same race but have cultural similarities. Its really during certain times when it comesin handy.

Race is too complicated amongst our own groups to see us all as the sameRace.
You meant that we have the same race but different culture.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #18
shinesw

because perhaps they think all SSA looking individuals are from palenque or that they are the most common on there.Still Palenque is a village aka a place or region.
Palenquero is a culture and ethnic group in Colombia. It is one of the AfroColombian sub-cultures and they are part of the census. It is not just regional. A white or native person who moves to Palenque and has their kids there won't be considered Palenquero.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #19
PersonalLoansBank

Palenquero is a culture and ethnic group in Colombia. It is one of the AfroColombian sub-cultures and they are part of the census. It is not just regional. A white or native person who moves to Palenque and has their kids there won't be considered Palenquero.
becuase they aren't natives of Palenque, they just moved there, and Palenqueros are known to be pred Black people, a white man who moves to Loiza will not be considered Loiceño, as Loiceños are known to be pred SSA.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #20
Boripiomi

becuase they aren't natives of Palenque, they just moved there, and Palenqueros are known to be pred Black people, a white man who moves to Loiza will not be considered Loiceño, as Loiceños are known to be pred SSA.
Tonces e etnia!

Reply to Thread New Thread