LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
ConoMadura

Default How would you parents react if you disrespected someone because of their race?
Got into this conversation last night.

My mother would beat the shit out of me. Wooden spoon, belt, or her personal favourite when I was growing up, a huge pepper mill she had.

This isn't just about race, but for any reason at all, especially if they were older than me.

Another girl said her mother would. She was half AfrAm, half Acadian. She said "Oh it's the French-Acadian mother." and she was making jokes to me all night about the epic ass-whoopings she would get at the hands of her Acadian mother when she was rude to people.

I was like "Naw... there must be people of all cultures who raise their kids that way!"

So, I decided to throw that out there.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
nasdfrdg

I openly say racial things/jokes in front of both my parents. My mother seems cool with it, doesn't make any mention of it. She finds jokes funny though. My old man doesn't say or do anything really. one time at either Christmas or thanksgiving, we're sitting and watching TV and My uncle (who's pretty loopy) just blurts out

*in a slightly foreign accent* "ehh fucking niggers, I turn on tv all I see is fucking niggers" my dad responded with " Frank don't say that, you call them black people, okay." So I guess he got offended.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Arexytece

I openly say racial things/jokes in front of both my parents. My mother seems cool with it, doesn't make any mention of it. She finds jokes funny though. My old man doesn't say or do anything really. one time at either Christmas or thanksgiving, we're sitting and watching TV and My uncle (who's pretty loopy) just blurts out

*in a slightly foreign accent* "ehh fucking niggers, I turn on tv all I see is fucking niggers" my dad responded with " Frank don't say that, you call them black people, okay." So I guess he got offended.
I make ethnic jokes. I make ethnic jokes around people of the ethnicity who is the butt of the joke (if I know them well, of course). I'm talking about flat out disrespecting people.

When I make ethnic jokes it's usually banter between friends.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
mGUuZRyA

My dad is an elitist but he's not really a racist, he has no time for the indigenous poor, ill-educated Whites round here, he considers them beneath him ('congenitally stupid' he says of them). He's perfectly happy to talk about race, racial issues, and is very interested in different cultures, languages etc. He uses old fashioned terms sometimes, just to spite the idea of political correctness I suspect, like, "The Jew" and "Coloured people", "Halfies" (to describe mixed breed people), but not out of hate.

He is pretty much disdainful of everyone and everything though.

I don't think he likes my association with low class, non-intellectual racists of the kind found in the EDL or BNP; he would probably be happy I frequent an anthropology forum though, even if some of the views expressed here lean toward 'racist'. So long as you can back up your arguments you're entitled to them, I often fall short by his measure so I end up getting harangued.

My mom sometimes expresses mildly racist views, even though she was opposed to racism when young and in favour of immigration. She will put me in my place if I'm overtly racist in public but mostly because she fears being embarrased in front of her friends, many of whom still fit the politically correct middle class English woman type much more than she does.

She forbade me from getting the tiny little loyalist 'UDA' tattoo I wanted to get on my arm

Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
onlineslotetes

My dad is somewhat tolerant of racial talk. But when he is in front of my mom he tones it down. He was raised by racist parents from the south so he did inherent some racist tendencies. He talks about white trash just the same as black trash. My mother on the other hand gets all hot under the collar if there is any negative talk about different races.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
uniopaypamp

My family is full of racists. I'm trying to break the cycle.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Idonnaink

Jokes are accepted and even some forms of what would qualify as racism in the modern world are accepted. My dad is probably more against it because he works at a school and in an office which such attitudes are not supported and his dad probably has some slight racist tendencies. My mom could care less and she is probably subtly racist but her parents were pretty big racists against anyone who was not blonde haired and blue eyed.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
ansarigf

They'd care a lot if it was in public yet they know my views and ironically have my views just in a more moderate, 'colorblind racist' way. They're just as racist but they'd die before they'd ever come to that conclusion or reality.

It's a deep irony the world we live in. Mainstream ideological people are more ignorantly racist than most actual progressive racists are out in public yet they'd never come to that conclusion themselves until it is pointed out to them. However that tends to greatly upset them so I don't really attempt to sway people. It's not that I care that they're racist, it's that I care that they can't introspect and live within that reality but instead choose to literally shutdown any thought process allocated to it at all.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
AmfitNom

My dad is an elitist but he's not really a racist, he has no time for the indigenous poor, ill-educated Whites round here, he considers them beneath him ('congenitally stupid' he says of them). He's perfectly happy to talk about race, racial issues, and is very interested in different cultures, languages etc. He uses old fashioned terms sometimes, just to spite the idea of political correctness I suspect, like, "The Jew" and "Coloured people", "Halfies" (to describe mixed breed people), but not out of hate.

He is pretty much disdainful of everyone and everything though.

I don't think he likes my association with low class, non-intellectual racists of the kind found in the EDL or BNP; he would probably be happy I frequent an anthropology forum though, even if some of the views expressed here lean toward 'racist'. So long as you can back up your arguments you're entitled to them, I often fall short by his measure so I end up getting harangued.

My mom sometimes expresses mildly racist views, even though she was opposed to racism when young and in favour of immigration. She will put me in my place if I'm overtly racist in public but mostly because she fears being embarrased in front of her friends, many of whom still fit the politically correct middle class English woman type much more than she does.

She forbade me from getting the tiny little loyalist 'UDA' tattoo I wanted to get on my arm
Much the same for me… I was taught to judge people as individuals, not as groups. But as I grow older, and learn more about Anthropology, Sociology, and Socio-Biology, the more I understand the need to judge people as groups, etc.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
welihiedginly

Got into this conversation last night.

My mother would beat the shit out of me. Wooden spoon, belt, or her personal favourite when I was growing up, a huge pepper mill she had.

This isn't just about race, but for any reason at all, especially if they were older than me.

Another girl said her mother would. She was half AfrAm, half Acadian. She said "Oh it's the French-Acadian mother." and she was making jokes to me all night about the epic ass-whoopings she would get at the hands of her Acadian mother when she was rude to people.

I was like "Naw... there must be people of all cultures who raise their kids that way!"

So, I decided to throw that out there.
Same here, too much political correctness, I'm trying to break that cycle

My family is full of racists. I'm trying to break the cycle.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
Charryith

Same here, too much political correctness, I'm trying to break that cycle
My mother is not politically correct, though. She'd probably disown me if I dated a guy outside my race.

There is a difference between being politically incorrect and being an asshole. I find a lot of people act like assholes and claim they're "against political correctness".

Old 11-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
bumxumer

My parents would laugh. They already disrespect people of other races.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
dHXaE2h9

My parents are totally against racism, but respect the ethnic jokes, almost every afternoons comes to my house a mulatto friend of my brother and he once said "you come here every day, my house is like a welcome shelter for blacks", also often called " fucking black" in the presence of my parents, but they say nothing, they know are just jokes without hate or ideological content.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
eEwbYjOH

My parents respect races more vs. the various castes and sub-hierarchies available for subscription in India. Weird.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Ruilnasr

My parents respect races more vs. the various castes and sub-hierarchies available for subscription in India. Weird.
My parents are kind of similar, though we don't really have a concrete "caste system". For example, my mother would beat my ass if I disrespected a rich or middle class non-white person, but wouldn't care if I disrespected what she deemed as "white trash", ie people who live in subsidized housing. But my dad would have beat my ass if I did (he'd have beat my ass if I disrespected a person of another race, too).

Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
Blahhhshsh

My mother was raised in the military with a white American (midwestern) father and a Japanese mother. She and her siblings were subjected to racism in the form of exclusion by both sides of the family. At different times they lived in the USA, Japan, and Spain in base housing. I got the impression from my mother that the military culture was less racist than civilian society in general, being more diverse and having the discipline of a military institution.

My dad was raised in southeastern Kentucky and southern Florida with two white parents from the hills of Kentucky. He spent his teens in west Tennessee.

My mom, like my Japanese grandmother, had a tendency to disrespect human beings in general, referring to them as being stupid or sheep. However, my grandmother was a hardcore racist against blacks and other groups. She tolerated whites, Mexican-Americans, and Native Americans, but still considered Japanese to be superior. She despised Koreans and Chinese, but was more tolerant of Vietnamese and Filipinos, which I didn't really understand. I think she tolerated them the way someone tolerates servants. My mom was much more sociable with all groups of people, and tried to judge them as individuals, but if she saw them practicing some sort of group think, then it was not beyond her to label them as flips, spics, gooks, cholos, trailer trash, etc.

My dad was 100% southerner but he was an easy going guy with a 1960's mentality who played guitar and idolized Jimi Hendrix. He at one point had (obviously) a half-Asian wife, black friends, etc. At one point he moved the family (not me I was already out of the house) from an all white semi-rural area into what is basically a ghetto inner city area because he got a good deal on a huge old antique house. He was good friends with a few of the black neighbors, one of whom he did several real estate deals with, and my younger brother and sister had the black neighbor kids over at the house playing all of the time. Back when we lived in the sticks, he used to make fun of our racist white neighbor for being a closet Nazi. The guy was of German ancestry, vacationed in Germany every year, and tried to convince the other neighbors up and down the road to never sell or rent to any blacks. Anytime something came up about a property for sale, or re-zoning at the end of the road, that guy went ballistic about it.

So overall I would say both of my parents expected me to judge people as individuals, but ironically my southern white father was actually the more tolerant between the two of them, of human beings in general. I would say I came out more like my mom.

Reply to Thread New Thread