LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Smabeabumjess

Default Racial Relations?: Hispamerican ...
Racial Relations: between Hispanic Americas Nations and Ethnies.

How do "Hispanic" speaking Nations / nationals view eachother, and how do all the different ethnicities from these countries view eachother (both within and between Nation groups)? What the the main / primary divides? Does it depend on where you go? Etc. Discuss.

Also discuss real vs. on-paper divides.

This idea of a thread was inspired by someone complaining about a lumped "Hispanic" category adjacent to "black" and "white" in the U.S.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
NKUDirectory

How do I see each other?.. Let's see, I'll give my personal opinion, which is probably shared by people of my kind -white, middle-upper class, right-wing, from Santiago-..

We, Chileans, see the Latin American nations as very 'distant'. We're a quite isolated country geographically, which has made us to have the need of improve by ourselves. We see Argentina as a corrupt country, with arrogant people. A country that had the chance of being developed, and lost it because of its own idiosyncrasy. Peru and Bolivia are our neighbours who always complain about everything, and don't realize that if they aren't developed is for their own fault and lack of ability. We see Argentina as a white -Italian.. or Mediterranean- country, with a lot of women with dyed hair. Peruvians and Bolivians are seen as short, dark, indigenous, poor people who come here to work as nannies. Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Panama and the Caribbean are seen as tropical people. Because of ignorance most people here think a lot of people in those countries are pure black -many Dominicans and Colombians here are black as well, so that doesn't help either-. We kinda see them as lazy people who are always in carnivals and everything.. Mexico and Central America are seen as short, dark, shy people who emigrates to the USA and depends on the USA on everything -if the US's economy falls, they fall the double-..

Different ethnicities from my country.. Umm I think Chile isn't a racist country but classist. The upper and middle-upper class is mainly white, of Spaniard, Basque, Italian, French, German, English or Croatian ancestry -a few Scandinavians, Dutch and Polish as well-.. These classes concentrate most of the power and wealth, live in a few communes -East Santiago-, study in a few universities, and kinda live in a bubble -I kinda live in one myself, but I'm trying to help it-.. The middle class are mostly castizos, with whites and mestizos as well. They live well compared to all the other Latin American countries, and study at the university as well -the public ones, or the privates of low quality-.. The low class is mostly mestizos and indigenous (indigenous must be 5% of the total population, and people with indigenous phenotype must be the 10% or something), don't live well and the common thing is that they don't study at university, but work to help their families.. they're darker than the Chilean average in general terms.. The relationship between these classes -or ethnicities, taking in account the exceptions of course- is often of indifference. As they live in different places, study in different schools/universities, and go to different parties, they don't see each other very often. It's not an apartheid as some have called it, but just keeping your kind. It must be said that the Chilean society is homogeneous compared to other countries such as Brazil or Colombia -we've got Mediterranean whites, castizos and mestizos.. the Nordic whites and indigenous are a minority and there is nearly no Black or Asian people here-..

Regionally we haven't got many differences but people from the North tend to be darker -mestizos-, people from the Centre tend to be lighter -castizos and Mediterranean whites in general terms, and Nordic and Mediterranean whites in East Santiago-, and people from the South still lighter -a lot of people of German ancestry, but most people are Mediterranean whites-.. the Araucania has a lot of Mapuches but a lot of people with German ancestry as well.. the Extreme South is mostly white and it's got a lot of Croats/Germans/Brits.

That.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
TimEricsson

I heard of division Spain/Latin America. I dont know how far it goes. I think stereotypically all central America melts into one for an average person. South latin America is more various (in perception I mean).

Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
bF8CCmmr

I heard of division Spain/Latin America. I dont know how far it goes. I think stereotypically all central America melts into one for an average person. South latin America is more various (in perception I mean).
Umm Spain isn't really taken in account, at least here.. in Central America people are mostly mestizos.. and you're right, you've got great differences between countries -Triracials: Ven, Col, Bra.. Whites: Arg, Uru.. Castizos: Chi.. Mestizos: Par.., Indigenous: Bol, Per, Ecu- in South America.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Aizutox

I think Latin America is definitely shaped by classism, there's some racism of course but is not as strong as social classes IMO. I'll get along with any middle/middle upper class dude from Tijuana to Tierra del Fuego.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
moredasers

I think Latin America is definitely shaped by classism, there's some racism of course but is not as strong as social classes IMO. I'll get along with any middle/middle upper class dude from Tijuana to Tierra del Fuego.
I have heard a lot about it.
I once read this interesting book
http://www.archambault.ca/christ-a-l...02703946-en-pr

by polish reporter Kapuscinski, not everyone may like it, as the book is directed left (author sympathises with lower classes and revolution). I liked it anyway.

I wonder what created this classism. Its not from Spain, not from Indians, where is it from then?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
NikolaAAA

From the mix of both of them..

Old 09-08-2011, 03:03 AM   #8
ArrichMer

I wonder what created this classism. Its not from Spain, not from Indians, where is it from then?
From the mix of those 2. Spanish derived culture is too dif. from Indian derived culture and sometimes, they clash. Not for nothing Latin America is the place with the greates disparities (and not just economical).

Old 09-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
bugagasikaga

Umm Spain isn't really taken in account, at least here.. in Central America people are mostly mestizos.. and you're right, you've got great differences between countries -Triracials: Ven, Col, Bra.. Whites: Arg, Uru.. Castizos: Chi.. Mestizos: Par.., Indigenous: Bol, Per, Ecu- in South America.
Dude, you can't say Colombians see themselves as tri-racials and neither can you say all Colombians are genetically triracial. Colombians still identify mostly as Afro/Black, white/blanco, indio/indigena, mestizo and only a few with a decent amount of those 3 ancestries. A Bogotano with 2% African is not triracial. There are only certain regions that have significant tri-racials, like the Atlantic coast. The Pacific coast has a Black identity and people there are predominantly African. The interior region has a white mestizo identity and people there are predominantly mestizo and castizo. San Andres/Providence/Santa Catalina have an Afro Anglophone Caribbean identity and the island natives are predominantly African. Then you have over 70 Indigenous ethnic groups. I believe the same can be said about Brasil, just ask the Brazilian posters if everyone in Brasil is triracial.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
pIp83Uns

For fuck sake, I'm obviously talking in general terms, on AVERAGE. You're so annoying. Get lost.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #11
Spongebob

For fuck sake, I'm obviously talking in general terms, on AVERAGE. You're so annoying. Get lost.
You talking to me?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #12
Fellionas

No way.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #13
cut sifted ephedra sinica

Agree on that, but I'd say Argentina is a bit less classicist and way more racist than the average of Latin America.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
Vodonaeva

Something very interesting that I saw in a Hispanic American movie is that they can detect when someone is from a certain place due to their accent. These Peruvian cops in the movie were doing that with a guy, who was from Colombia.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
M_Marked

Something very interesting that I saw in a Hispanic American movie is that they can detect when someone is from a certain place due to their accent. These Peruvian cops in the movie were doing that with a guy, who was from Colombia.
You didn't know that? Everyone has a different accent but some accents overlap. Like some Caribbean Colombians sound like Cubans, PRs and Dominicans. And people always think my Pacific coastal accent is Panamanian.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
educationonlines

You didn't know that? Everyone has a different accent but some accents overlap. Like some Caribbean Colombians sound like Cubans, PRs and Dominicans. And people always think my Pacific coastal accent is Panamanian.
Yes, you remind me of El General.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #17
GreesyBeeva

Yes, you remind me of El General.
BTW El General's parents were Colombian and Bajan.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #18
Sdzqerty

I wonder why the Chileans say that Argentinians are so racist?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #19
Saispapedlimi

So true, that is until you actually go there....

Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
rasiasertew

I wonder why the Chileans say that Argentinians are so racist?
lol, funny guy, huh?

Reply to Thread New Thread