LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
86GlSqSK

Default Spider-Man becomes biracial
Marvel Announces Biracial Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man just got more colorful. Marvel has announced that Miles Morales—a half-black, half-Latino teen—will be replacing Spider-Man’s alter ego Peter Parker when the new edition of the comic goes on sale tomorrow. Parker was killed off in the comics earlier this summer. Marvel’s editor in chief Axel Alonso said, “When the opportunity arose to create a new Spider-Man, we knew it had to be a character that represents the diversity—in background and experience—of the 21st century. Miles is a character who not only follows in the tradition of relatable characters like Peter Parker but also shows why he’s a new, unique kind of Spider-Man—and worthy of that name.” http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...pider-man.html

So, what do you think? Will Stormfronters become upset (if they still haven't seen this, that is)?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
tmobmobfil

Looks ethiopian not biracial lol. Do mulattos usually come out looking that negroid?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
sposicke

i think in the future american culture will be mostly based on such mixed personalities, thus European nations will loose interest in Us pop culture bit by bit as we are not mixing as fast as them and so their personalities will seem alien...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #4
gugamotina

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/...pider-man.html

So, what do you think? Will Stormfronters become upset (if they haven't yet, that is)?
LOL, they might, but who cares.

I was more upset about "GI Joe, Great American Hero" in the GI Joe movie becoming part of some multi-national force based in Brussels. Not that I much liked GI Joe in the first place, and that movie sucked, but just on principle, GI Joe is American, so WTF.

Anyway... "Miles Morales"? Is that the best they could do? I mean, that's about as bad as Pedro Washington or Tyrone Lopez.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
bMc8F9ZI

Looks ethiopian not biracial lol. Do mulattos usually come out looking that negroid?
He doesn't look that sub-saharan African, looks intermediate to me (here's a larger resolution pic). Besides, he technically wouldn't be biracial, unless his father was a white Cuban/DR/PR/etc, or a pred amerind from central/southern America. I'd assume his latino father will be depicted like the stereotypical NYC hispanic, likely triracial. Which would make him pred-SSA (genetically at least). Ofc, the average laymen cartoonist is oblivious to this (as is the average reporter―much like the one who wrote this article).

Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
Cuccuccaltefe

Next thing he's going to be a Dominican baseball player by day, and super hero by night right?

Anyway, whatever I don't care about spider man anymore, the movies sucked and the comics have aged terribly. Batman and Iron man are way more interesting to me now.. a millionaire badass.

Maybe it has to do with growing up, but spider man seems like a kids super hero, but Iron man is more for adults.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
MikeGotTalentz

then hope that most of white people will lose the interest for spider man and for all those sterotypes...

Old 08-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
ENGINESSQ

I don't know, it kindof irks me a little, I'm used to Peter Parker.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #9
kneexyFreedly

. Which would make him pred-SSA (genetically at least)..
Like my son

Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
SimSlim

He's half "Latino"... could be PR or Dominican, given that he's from NY.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #11
Eeaquzyh

Like my son
And mine. Here's an old pic of him with his hair pulled out (took his mother a while to get all those little beads out and straighten his hair―can you tell his hair's been combed? ). He used to be so light, a regular redbone.

He's half "Latino"... could be PR or Dominican, given that he's from NY.
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, both the artists and the reporter likely haven't taken this concept into consideration. To them, this rendition = regular American biracial.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Fededorbprago

And mine. Here's an old pic of him with his hair pulled out (took his mother a while to get all those little beads out and straighten his hair―can you tell his hair's been combed? ). He used to be so light, a regular redbone.
Your son got tighter hair than my son but he's lighter lol, I guess that's that 15% Native in his blood straightening his hair out into some spiral curls.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
ZIDouglas

It's a pathetic attempt to boost sales for Marvel Comics. Marvel is surviving mostly because of the films and merchandise. The actual comic book end of it is poor. So they're trying to branch out. If they stuck to a Latino Spiderman it might have worked but trying to 'kill two birds with one stone' won't pan out.

Marvel Comics has always been lame with a few exceptions (Groo the Wanderer, The Punisher, 'Nam).

Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Arrecteve

this doesnt really fit well with me... i have always seen peter parker as an awkward lanky white guy

Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #15
Imalaycle

I better start buying Spiderman comics again!!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
buchmausar

As the world turns....

Old 08-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Ayyfjicg

These days american comics suck for the most part, mainly because they try to continue with some franchise/character ad nauseam and this brings complications and boredom because all stories seem circular and make look all characters the same: Most of them have died... and revived and the same have happened with their biggest foes, time seems to never pass, etc. Another problem is that it is really difficult to find some story that it's not based in super heroes, unlike European or Japanese comics where you can find any kind of genre/character and most of the times stories do have an end, time passes, characters ACTUALLY die, etc.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #18
uchetrip

I hadn't heard of this, I've shied away from spidey comics ever since their "Brand New Day" story line roughly 2 years ago. I think spider-man does better in cross-overs than his stand alone, at least for the last few years.

*I looked into this further, this is misleading because this is actually ULTIMATE Spider-man, not the normal continuity (Marvel 616). No one fan cares what happens in Ultimate Marvel, it was cool and edgy for a few years but it wore thin quickly. Ultimate Marvel was created to be able to toy around with established characters histories, etc.*

Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
aLZ9zKsO

Daredevil is best comic from marvel according to me

Old 08-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #20
Infiseeenvelp

I bet you 10 bucks they won't change the race of the villains.

Reply to Thread New Thread