LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
sallythetolly

Default Skin color variation in family members
Skin color is one of the things that have always interested me. Most people think that skin color is based on race even though it is more than skin deep. There are even families that can have dramatic skin color differences among their family members.

My best friend invited me over to her house and I met her family and I was amazed at how colorful her family is. She is olive skinned with hazel eyes. Her mom is light olive complexioned with grey eyes. Her father is tan skinned with brown eyes. Her brother has a medium brown complexion, her younger brother has a pale complexion with blue eyes, and her sister has a caramel colored skin, which is shades lighter than the "brown" brother.

Variation among families are greater than I always thought. Latinos, arabs, and even african americans have skin color variation amongst their family members. Whites can too but the former are greater. Well known examples of diverse color families would be the Kardashian, Lamas, Knowles families and other families too.

Sorry for the long post. Anyway, have you guys met any families like these?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Carol

Skin color is one of the things that have always interested me. Most people think that skin color is based on race even though it is more than skin deep. There are even families that can have dramatic skin color differences among their family members.

My best friend invited me over to her house and I met her family and I was amazed at how colorful her family is. She is olive skinned with hazel eyes. Her mom is light olive complexioned with grey eyes. Her father is tan skinned with brown eyes. Her brother has a medium brown complexion, her younger brother has a pale complexion with blue eyes, and her sister has a caramel colored skin, which is shades lighter than the "brown" brother.

Variation among families are greater than I always thought. Latinos, arabs, and even african americans have skin color variation amongst their family members. Whites can too but the former are greater. Well known examples of diverse color families would be the Kardashian, Lamas, Knowles families and other families too.

Sorry for the long post. Anyway, have you guys met any families like these?
yea... go to any puerto rican or other hispanic family and you this alot.. its not suprising at all

Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Intockatt

African American families big time in skin tone too. My fam's a perfect example of the typical Afram family.

Most of my non Black friends are shocked at the range of phenotypes and skin tone Afram families range in. From dark as night to light as white.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
loginptsa

In my family, there's some skin color variation as in most African/black families. We range from being really light brown to dark brown.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
gooseCile

my mom and her sisters show variation

Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Dndjzirw

I am very fair, I have one sister who is quite dark (she tans regularly though) and another sister who is medium.

Oh and another funny thing, I have blue eyes, dark sister has gray eyes and medium sister has brown eyes. I have auburn hair, dark sis has brown hair and medium sis has blonde hair.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
Uzezqelj

I have dark hair, dark eyes, and olive skin. My sister has blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin.

Both my parents are darker than both of us. My grandfather on my fathers side was quite light though.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
Lvnufcdc

I'm quite pale in tone, too pale for half Lebanese. My brother is a somewhat darker, more closer to to a light olive. It's interesting with my father and uncles . They all vary wildly in appearance, one is kinda brown and Jewish looking, one is pale and Italian /Spanish looking, my father looks like a Island Greek or Sicilian type. My Grandfather was very light in complexion while my grandma was darker (dark olive tone)

Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
fectsnanteemy

My family ranges from super dark brown to coffee cream color. I myself am significantly darker than both of my parents, my mother being caramel colored and my father light brown. I am no means the darkest in my family though, there are several others that are significantly darker than I am.

I have also met Mexican families with varying degrees of coloration among st their ranks, some being very dark while others appear to have near white skin. I cannot say I have seen a White american family like this though. The only variation I have noted is in eye and hair color.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
PefeFoesk

I am olive complexion with medium brown (turning grey) hair and beard. My eyes are hazel and vary based on the lighting from green to brown.

My mom and her two siblings were yellow and looked Asian, fourth sibling looked like white girl with NA mix.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
MadMark

Latinos, arabs, and even african americans have skin color variation amongst their family members.
People of African descent definitely vary the most with regard to skin tone, even without non-African admixture. And this is scientifically proven. Indians and Oceanians are probably a close second. The variation among Latinos and Arabs is largely due to admixture between Eurasian, African, and Native American/Asian admixture.

http://www.wvu.edu/~lawfac/jscully/R...20kids%202.jpg

---------- Post added 2011-08-05 at 04:49 ----------

My dad is dark skinned (dark brown)... his father was a fair skinned Tunisian looking man (very atypical Tuareg) and his mother was a very dark skinned pseudo-Horner looking woman.
My mother is light skinned (creamy colored)... her father was a very dark skinned Songhai man with narrow Sahelian features (He actually resembles Hanan's grandfather) and her mother was a light skinned Songhai woman with broad features. Alone, they look perfectly West African; but my moms recombination of their features makes her looks very ambigous: light skin and narrow features.
I have a swarthy olive skin tone
My siblings vary from as dark as my dad (actually one of my brothers is darker) to as light as my mom

Old 08-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #12
BoomBully

This is very common among Mexican families. I have a cousin who has really dark opaque skin, almost like a black person, but his sister got light skin, like an olive italian complexion. You can tell they're siblings because of their features but skin-wise they're so different.
This kind of thing happens a lot in Mexico and I bet many other latinamerican countries. I remember back in middle school I had a friend who was a blond with green eyes and light-tanned skin and her brother was a black haired guy with brown skin.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #13
FourEsters

skin colour IS based on "races"

my uncle has the same colour i do, the same colours his sisters have and the same colour his mother has.
his wife is dark skinned, probably because she has some arab ancestry or something, their children have really wierd phenotypes.
cousin A looks like my uncle in features but has the colour of his mother
cousin B looks like my aunt in features but has the colour of his father.

the variation exists due to ancestry, meaning different races, now if we are talking about brothers or sisters, we haven't yet understood how their appearence comes out the way it does.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #14
trorseIrripsy

On my mother's side they range from pinkish white, to milky white, to my skin color (which is rarer, my brother and I are the darkest regarding skin color on my mothers side, not taking my grandmother's father into account)

On my father's side they range from pinkish white to milky white and my skin color (and a bit darker if you take my uncle's wives into account). On that side I fit right in (not with the Dutch side though) in regards to skin color, since two of my father's brothers had kids with (quite visible) African admixed women.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 AM   #15
QEoMi752

In my family, there is a big variation of skin tones, but most of my family members is neither light-skinned nor dark-skinned - they're "medium". We tan very fast during summertime and get lighter during fall/winter.
My mum is dark brown, my father is light-skinned (but he got darker->summer) and me and my siblings are "medium" - brown-skinned.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #16
dabibibff

My mother is kind a dark during the whole year and at summertime she becomes extremely dark. My father is really fair, yes he can tan, but he must be really careful. I can go both ways - at winter my skin is really fair while at summer if I tan, I can become extremely dark, but I usually don't tan much, I'm careful with my skin.

[/IMG]

Old 08-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
textarchive

Below is an old photo of my father's cousin holding my older sister. You would think they are of different racial/ethnic mixtures but in fact they are not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66747799@N06/6074718236/

My younger sister is sometimes mistaken for Métis (white x Amerind):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66747799@N06/6081186308/#/

....but then there's me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6674779...in/photostream

This coloured streak in us I believe comes down through my great grandmother's family:

There were rumours that they had some Amerind blood. (Check out my gggfather back row left) If there is, it must be pretty diluted. Our genealogy is pretty well accounted for back to colonial Pennsylvania. Personally I think think it is just part of the Swiss German/PA Dutch genome.

Some of our family come out dark; those that don't tend to be light skinned and blonde though we do tan easily. We also share other traits which are associated with Amerind/Melungeon ancestry: Anatolian bump, shovel teeth and second toe longer than first toe.

My great grandmother as a young woman:

Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #18
Gymnfacymoota

I read this on wiki, but studies show that Africans & their diaspora have the most skin color variations of all races.

Reply to Thread New Thread