LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #1
gogFloark

Default Disney's Princess and the Frog
One of Disney's worst. It was a let down...

What did people think about this movie?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
erepsysoulptnw

That is what a white based movie using black people.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
MightyMasd

Yep...originally it was going to be Russian because the fairytale is Russian in origin, but they decided to change it and made her Afram and change the setting to New Orleans.

I would love to see an African fairytale be done.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
LSDDSL

I'm not crazy about Disney movies, period.

But I did enjoy Princess and the Frog. I thought it represented New Orleans very well.

The way they portrayed the girl was very realistic- she wasn't from the upper classes, but she was still classy. Her father had gone (in an honorable way in the movie), but that's a realistic representation. She was independent and hard working, and her priorities were in order. She had her own dreams and ambition but she was still able to snag a prince in the end.

As for the prince being a mixed race, I think they did that so people wouldn't bitch about him being "white" or "black" or whatever. Because they would bitch, either way.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 11:11 ----------

Explain how it is a "white" movie. And give an example of what a "black" movie would be.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
CHEAPSOFTOEMONLINE

Huh,what about this ?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
VastDrura

Yep...originally it was going to be Russian because the fairytale is Russian in origin, but they decided to change it and made her Afram and change the setting to New Orleans.
And that is the issue, they should have made the movie more African related, the only thing African are the chracters, but not the movie plot, no Afram can relate to it.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
Vznvtthq

And that is the issue, they should have made the movie more African related, the only thing African are the chracters, but not the movie plot, no Afram can relate to it.
Hard work and positive values you mean?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #8
diundasmink

It was a liberal movie I think its one of the movies you have to face palm for. Makes you think what the leftist are trying to feed to our children. Its alright that Blacks want their own fairy tales surrounded around them although its quite exotic because the concept of fairy tales is mainly a European one. I think though when they portray it in a way like they did so in that movie it makes you wonder if Blacks are not happy with who they are and want to pretend to be white which I don't thin is authentic. Overall some of the characters were accurately depicted accept for that one white guy who was like the paige of the King it looked there was a little Irish discrimination going on there.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
KlaraNovikoffa

Hard work and positive values you mean?
I mean culture based, is not based on African culture and traditions,(and no, ghetto is not a tradition, so don't come to assume I think hard work and postive values aren't part of tradition, because that is not what I consider tradition, those are general values shared in all races.The movie was based in Russian tradition, not African.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
trubreTab

A lot of Aframs I know including myself did NOT like Princess and the Frog. It was just a poorly done film...sorry. Nice animation, but bad film. The songs were not memorable. Didn't really care for the characters. And then they were frogs throughout the whole movie. I...hated it.

Yes I would have loved to have seen an African based Disney film with HUMANS. Why not?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
Kvkcgktl

I thought the voodoo Priest guy was an interesting character, and there were some elements in the movie that an Afram could relate to. But all in all I think it was just Disney trying to be PC and finally make a movie with Black protagonists.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
kjsdiuwe

there were some elements in the movie that an Afram could relate to. .
Like what?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #13
ceagstuntee

As for the prince being a mixed race, I think they did that so people wouldn't bitch about him being "white" or "black" or whatever. Because they would bitch, either way.
Quoted for truth.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
lierro

I thought the voodoo Priest guy was an interesting character, and there were some elements in the movie that an Afram could relate to. But all in all I think it was just Disney trying to be PC and finally make a movie with Black protagonists.
Also the Voodoo guy seem kind of stereotypical, like if African culture is only voodooo and withcraft.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #15
Sawyer

We are unfortunately in an age where everybody wants to be everybody and this leaves with a culture that has a confused identity and does not know itself. Some Women want to be men some men want to be women some blacks want to be white and a few whites try to pretend like they are black. It seems like no one is happy with themselves as they are and want to pretend to be someone else they are not. I think a lot of it has to do with hyper secularism and materialism which has put too much pressure on the individual to identify himself this way or that when sometimes its best just to be yourself instead of trying to fall in social norms that peer pressure pushes on individuals.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #16
Reafnartefs

And then they were frogs throughout the whole movie. I...hated it.

Yes I would have loved to have seen an African based Disney film with HUMANS. Why not?
Yeah, that bothered me too.

What I don't understand is why people keep saying she was "trying to be white". Can somebody please explain to me what it means to "try to be white"?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 AM   #17
Flieteewell

It was a liberal movie I think its one of the movies you have to face palm for. Makes you think what the leftist are trying to feed to our children. Its alright that Blacks want their own fairy tales surrounded around them although its quite exotic because the concept of fairy tales is mainly a European one. I think though when they portray it in a way like they did so in that movie it makes you wonder if Blacks are not happy with who they are and want to pretend to be white which I don't thin is authentic. Overall some of the characters were accurately depicted accept for that one white guy who was like the paige of the King it looked there was a little Irish discrimination going on there.
The movie was facepalm. After I got done watching it...I was like FACEPALM! That was the best Disney could do? It was a joke.

You have African tales. There are "fairytales" in almost every culture...we just mainly know about the Euro ones.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
CULTDIAMONDS

Like what?
Having hope and ambition despite being in a bad position in life. Starting off small but dreaming big, that sort of thing.

Also the Voodoo guy seem kind of stereotypical, like if African culture is only voodooo and withcraft.
True, I just have a fascination with that type of stuff, from all the stories of "Two Head folks" that my mother has told me about.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #19
Theateetetuig

The movie was facepalm. After I got done watching it...I was like FACEPALM! That was the best Disney could do? It was a joke.

You have African tales. There are "fairytales" in almost every culture...we just mainly know about the Euro ones.
Yeah well I think they wanted to make a movie that a large audience could relate to and it ended up turning into a mess. Its hard to cater to everyone and this sometimes leads to people trying to throw everything in one pot when it does not always have to be this way. I think that if you made a movie based off African Tales a lot of Aframs would be interested but many other non Afram groups might feel unconnected with the themes.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #20
Zoxeeoy

Well ok, first you complain there is nothing Africans can relate to, then they try to stick in something from the African tradition, and you complain that it's too stereotypical.

So what would be your suggestion then? What is something that African Americans could relate to, without it looking like they were "trying to be white?"

Reply to Thread New Thread