LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
JulieSmithXIV

Default Young Britains view on racism
Its quite a short video, it just make me wonder, going by the way people act on these anthro boards, do young people in America and other countries look at racism in the same way?
Also do you agree on what is said about Obama?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
alex_loudermilk

I certainly am not in the position to speak for everyone - nor am I British - but a few things I noticed right off the bat...

I would say there is an overall social awareness of racism but I would argue it takes a while for individuals to be convinced of whether racism is really in play or not when analyzing particular scenarios.

Profiling by authorities has been a long open secret and I can confirm that plenty of people are rounded up or questioned simply because they fit a phenotypical profile. A lot of sociopolitical upheaval following major disasters and events tends to fan the flames of xenophobia and this can result in more prejudice. We tend to see a lot of problematic stereotypes emerge in the wake of these tense exchanges of perceptions and assumptions. I have witnessed increasing discrimination against those of Middle Eastern and South Asian ancestry and those who appear to have such ancestry.

At the airport, I notice a general color trigger: Anyone with a bit of tint or maybe an unusual surname will probably be given extra review. It's practically a covert prejudicial event that many are aware of in their hearts. People usually just click their heels and pray to get through any form of security without delay.

As for Obama's position within the black/mixed race circle, I would say public response varies. Many in the Black American community railed around him as a sign of black hope, and ODR identification really helped mobilize that coalition, but I would be lying if I said there was a universal affirmative response. Plenty of people did not view him as genuinely African American - not only on account of his white mother but also the fact that he does not descend from American slaves through his Kenyan father. They thought he was not "authentic." In the wake of these varying responses, I believe a lot of people viewed him as both black and biracial - I think this viewpoint is the most common casual one. Obama himself put the issue to rest, however. In his many media appearances, Obama indicated he identified as a black man. So he is generally referred to as black in the media, regardless of his mixed background.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
bortycuz

I certainly am not in the position to speak for everyone - nor am I British - but a few things I noticed right off the bat...

I would say there is an overall social awareness of racism but I would argue it takes a while for individuals to be convinced of whether racism is really in play or not when analyzing particular scenarios.

Profiling by authorities has been a long open secret and I can confirm that plenty of people are rounded up or questioned simply because they fit a phenotypical profile. A lot of sociopolitical upheaval following major disasters and events tends to fan the flames of xenophobia and this can result in more prejudice. We tend to see a lot of problematic stereotypes emerge in the wake of these tense exchanges of perceptions and assumptions. I have witnessed increasing discrimination against those of Middle Eastern and South Asian ancestry and those who appear to have such ancestry.

At the airport, I notice a general color trigger: Anyone with a bit of tint or maybe an unusual surname will probably be given extra review. It's practically a covert prejudicial event that many are aware of in their hearts. People usually just click their heels and pray to get through any form of security without delay.

As for Obama's position within the black/mixed race circle, I would say public response varies. Many in the Black American community railed around him as a sign of black hope, and ODR identification really helped mobilize that coalition, but I would be lying if I said there was a universal affirmative response. Plenty of people did not view him as genuinely African American - not only on account of his white mother but also the fact that he does not descend from American slaves through his Kenyan father. They thought he was not "authentic." In the wake of these varying responses, I believe a lot of people viewed him as both black and biracial - I think this viewpoint is the most common casual one. Obama himself put the issue to rest, however. In his many media appearances, Obama indicated he identified as a black man. So he is generally referred to as black in the media, regardless of his mixed background.
I wasn't talking about institutional racism per say, and I don't think the kids were either, it is more a question of, everyday racism in their normal lives, such as at school or college, by their peers, how often does this occur in the US or other countries?

From when I visited America prior to 9/11 and friends that go to America regularly for business after 9/11 there is a big difference in the way they are treated at the airport.
For example one of my best friends is a senior designer at a very well known international company, she has been to the US and other European countries plenty if times, however, just because of her first name people immediately assume "muslim" terrorist, and she has had to have her bags checked multiple times and been delayed because the incompetent idiots at the airport can't do their job properly.
This is clearly discrimination. It also makes me wonder, I mean, many many, muslims are converts, these converts are normal white looking people with Christian names, if one of these guys wanted to do it, they could cause chaos for America, and I am sure nobody would check them thoroughly at airport security, while they check the regular people, these nutcases would blow up the airport.

I think the kid at the end of the video pretty much summed Obama's position up well, he is a man of colour, many black people don't consider him to be black, however he is still an inspiration for them and other ethnicities, which is the keyword. He is an ethnic president, not black or white and can gain sympathy from a much wider audience than a black or white man actually could have.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
quack!

I think 99% of security measures on airports and other stuff of this type is a mixture of idiotism and big business. Idiots create false fear and business people sell false remedy for this false fear. I cant believe it happens. For instance you can walk down the street in US with a gun in your hand legally but you cannot bring a can of coke on the board- its just idiotism and its not about US its everywhere else. because some idiot "parked" his car in Glasgow airport now people put 1 metre thick iron poles around all buildings to prevent "a car loaded with expolsive materials".
If someone want to blow something up, he will find his way anyway and this remedies only may be inspiration to attack.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
soyclocky

I don't care about racism, I'm rarely a victim of it and my folk are in the majority still. I can see how it would be an issue for minorities though.

I would love to know what anti-racists think people who feel racist should do? Just shut up and not exercise their right to speak freely? Just not participate in democracy and become self-loathing because they have protective instincts?

Racism is fundamentally protective in most cases.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
WeissVine

There's nobody on earth that doesn't have prejudices, but people should be respectful to each other. People are individuals, not stereotypes. Racism is simply hate, and hate is bad for society. It affects people at a very deep level and causes a ripple effect of maliciousness that no one is safe from.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
dabibibff

I don't care about racism, I'm rarely a victim of it and my folk are in the majority still. I can see how it would be an issue for minorities though.

I would love to know what anti-racists think people who feel racist should do? Just shut up and not exercise their right to speak freely? Just not participate in democracy and become self-loathing because they have protective instincts?

Racism is fundamentally protective in most cases.
The right to free speech isn't the right to verbally abuse others. You can say i don't think a certain ethnic group should be in this country because xxxx.. But when you are a teenager at school, and someone calls you "a blacky" or something and follows with making monkey noises, that is not free speech.

I have witnessed this happening to people and find it really harmful for the individual being discriminated against, it makes him feel singled out and lonely, why then would he wish to integrate into normal society and not rebel?

I haven't ever had racism come my way, usually because no one can tell "what the heck I am" However, if it had come my way, I may not be as confident as I am now.

---------- Post added 2011-07-06 at 17:33 ----------

I think 99% of security measures on airports and other stuff of this type is a mixture of idiotism and big business. Idiots create false fear and business people sell false remedy for this false fear. I cant believe it happens. For instance you can walk down the street in US with a gun in your hand legally but you cannot bring a can of coke on the board- its just idiotism and its not about US its everywhere else. because some idiot "parked" his car in Glasgow airport now people put 1 metre thick iron poles around all buildings to prevent "a car loaded with expolsive materials".
If someone want to blow something up, he will find his way anyway and this remedies only may be inspiration to attack.
Agreed.

How about what happened in Russia recently !

In fact, the dumbest thing is, usually you can just "stroll in" to an airport and security only gets tight once you get past check in. So If somebody really wanted to create some corpses they would so before they got on the plane right?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
EmpaccalGah

I feel that racial profiling is not the same as racism, as it is a (sort of) scientific method of precaution, whereas racism is treating someone hatefully based on their race. Does anyone disagree?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
southernplayer99

At first it was viewed by African Americans that Obama had accomplished things for black people and he has, he became president, but that's where it ends. While in office he has actually worked against his people so I think black people have lost support for him now.

I think race in USA is viewed differently from what is depicted in that video since that is a child's point of view. The way it is, is as follows: Americans pretend to ignore race in society and any racism that occurs happens without any words being said like not giving them work, or avoiding their people. It's rare that people will go up to you just to be racist.

Profiling in airports is only natural and not racist, there are many Arabic where I live mostly upper class and no one really notices them, I think it's because they choose to integrate with society, they don't block roads or anything like the ones from Paris, they drive BMW's listening to Ke$ha wearing designer clothes.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
Dr.Hoodoba

those people are lying especially the white kids...
come on they are front of a Camera
what do you expect them to say?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
Impariclainna

those people are lying especially the white kids...
come on they are front of a Camera
what do you expect them to say?
Have you ever lived in London, to know what the attitudes of the London teenagers are? You are so fast to call people liars etc and I find that quite immature.

There are other videos on the subject and they are more or less the same.

Reply to Thread New Thread