LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
vNQmO2BF

Default Do White Southerners know their ancestors came from Europe?
Do White Southerners know their ancestors came from Europe? I was born and raised in FL and I've always gotten this perspective and impression from white southerners that they don't know where their ancestors came from in Europe. They always say they're just American, and it seems they think they're native to the Americas. When I traveled to the northeastern states of NJ and NY, the white Americans there knew of their ethnic origins. They could tell me they're Italian, Irish, Scots-Irish, etc. Are white southerners completely oblivious to their European origins? Many still raise a confederate flag but, they're so American identified, it's like an oxymoron to me at times, raising a rebel flag, yet identifying only with what you're supposed to be rebelling against. Larali please feel free to break this down for me, as you're a self identified "Florida Cracker".

Old 06-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
VanDerSmok

Why should anyone who was born and raised here, and whose ancestors have been in the United States for 300+ years identify as anything else?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
kertionderf

Why should anyone who was born and raised here, and whose ancestors have been in the United States for 300+ years identify as anything else?
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm asking if they know where there European ancestors came from, they aren't Native American so they should recognize their European ancestors.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
mealiusarses

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm asking if they know where there European ancestors came from, they aren't Native American so they should recognize their European ancestors.
And recognize them by saying what? That they're Irish or English? That's ridiculous.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
mealiusarses

And recognize them by saying what? That they're Irish or English? That's ridiculous.
The question is, do they even know where their ancestors came from?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Gideleb

The question is, do they even know where their ancestors came from?
Actually, your post was nothing more than a shitty rant, particularly since the answer to the question that was buried within it should be pretty obvious. Any "white" person will know the majority of their ancestors came from the continent of Europe. Just because you don't identify with a continent that you have very few meaningful ties with doesn't mean you don't know. What do you expect them to do? Wave the Union Jack or EU flag from their front porches?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
bitymnmictada

They think they are native americans, alot of them think their part cherokee lol, from what i heard.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
SannyGlow

Maroon King, this is the obvious reason why White Southerners do not necessarily view themselves as hyphenated Americans. Many of them descend from a wide range of European ancestors (mainly mixed British Isles ancestries) so long in residence on the continent that they became the endemic ethnic presence once Amerindians were forced out of the area or confined to reservations. This is true of many regions around the world when a new population supplants the autochthonous one and beccomes "native" in effect.

Unlike more recent immigrant White ethnic groups, White Southerners view themselves as inherently "American" and less tied to other countries given their long tenure as a long-running group in their region, rivaled in regional nativity by Amerindians (who precede all of the groups) and African Americans secondly.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #9
nicegirlflor

Actually, your post was nothing more than a shitty rant, particularly since the answer to the question that was buried within it should be pretty obvious. Any "white" person will know the majority of their ancestors came from the continent of Europe. Just because you don't identify with a continent that you have very few meaningful ties with doesn't mean you don't know. What do you expect them to do? Wave the Union Jack or EU flag from their front porches?
From the beginning you started responding, it was with an offended tone. I am here to discuss seriously and I don't see you contributing anything meaningful but spewing your negativity. If you don't like my question or post simply don't respond to it. Thank You

Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Wheegiabe

Indeed, their close tie to these peoples is harder to trace culturally speaking since they are quite removed from their direct ancestral connection, even though they usually descend from these people. If anything, they have syncretized their European cultural forms with American folkways and adaptations, mixing these artifacts with and borrowing them from their Southern neighbors.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
dalnecymync

I think people in Louisiana especially the southern part of Louisiana identify themselves of French ancestry.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Infiseeenvelp

I think people in Louisiana especially the southern part of Louisiana identify themselves of French ancestry.
Good Point!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
AnIInWon

Wauw, some people just can't respond in a polite manner.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
GroosteFoessy

Personally, im a first generation American and I find this to be my homeland. Of course, all of the Americas would be my homeland considering the fact that I have native blood.

Even still, with ancestors of up to three generations strong those roots are easily forgotten. Most Americans can not distinguish between most European races. They simply see people as White, Arabic, Asian, latino, and black without much distinction.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
choollaBard

Hey Maroon King, thanks for highlighting me. FWIW, the flag on my avatar is the Florida flag, not the Confederate flag. And yes, I have an idea of where my ancestors came from. I have a tree on ancestry.com that goes back to the 1500s (further on some branches). Still trying to find out more about the Indian side, which in fact is Muskogee/ Apalachee (not Cherokee) and that's actually what brought me to this board. I identify as an American because that's what I am. I think it would be lame to say I'm anything other than that, since that's my heritage. I have been to family reunions that were "Scottish" or "German" themed and I thought it was stupid because that was so far in the past it's not even noteworthy. However I do enjoy learning about my family's past and have a vast collection of genealogy items in my closet. Any other questions?

ps. in another post I added this, I'll put it here too in case there is any confusion.

Florida cracker refers to original colonial-era English and American pioneer settlers of what is now the U.S. state of Florida, and their descendants. The first Florida crackers arrived in 1763 when Spain traded Florida to Great Britain. The British divided the territory into East Florida and West Florida, and began to aggressively recruit settlers to the area, offering free land and financial backing for export-oriented businesses. The territory passed back to the Spanish crown in 1783, and then to the US government in 1819. Spanish rule in the late 18th and early 19th centuries was only nominal and the territory was wild and lawless. The etymology of the word "cracker" in this usage is disputed.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
UvgpXK0J

Hey Maroon King, thanks for highlighting me. FWIW, the flag on my avatar is the Florida flag, not the Confederate flag. And yes, I have an idea of where my ancestors came from. I have a tree on ancestry.com that goes back to the 1500s (further on some branches). Still trying to find out more about the Indian side, which in fact is Muskogee/ Apalachee (not Cherokee) and that's actually what brought me to this board. I identify as an American because that's what I am. I think it would be lame to say I'm anything other than that, since that's my heritage. I have been to family reunions that were "Scottish" or "German" themed and I thought it was stupid because that was so far in the past it's not even noteworthy. However I do enjoy learning about my past and have a vast collection of genealogy items in my closet. Any other questions?
LMAO of course I know that's the FL flag, Ima Floridian too you know. I was not referring to your avatar being the confederate flag. I seen the confederate flag in parts of FL, and I saw a huge one in Valdosta, GA. Is your family from other states in the South? Does your family or other "white Americans" ever discuss their non-American origins?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
daguy

LMAO of course I know that's the FL flag, Ima Floridian too you know. I was not referring to your avatar being the confederate flag. I seen the confederate flag in parts of FL, and I saw a huge one in Valdosta, GA. Is your family from other states in the South? Does your family or other "white Americans" ever discuss their non-American origins?
Ok, lol, just making sure nobody thought I was one of those "south will rise again" fuckers. I should change that avatar. I'm more interested in the family's heritage than anybody else in my clan, I'm kind of the family genealogist- well, me and my aunt. It doesn't come up much at Sunday gatherings, lol. It's not really a pride issue for me, just curiosity. Is my family from other states in the South , you ask? Well some branches are, the Germans came in from Ohio and some other branches came in from the Carolinas and whatnot. I can link you to my tree if you're really interested.

Where's your family from? Share with me!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
ElenaEvgeevnaa

There surname would be a great indicator.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #19
wrardymar

Where's your family from? Share with me!
This is one of the towns my fam is from: http://forumbiodiversity.com/showthr...ight=barbacoas

Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #20
CuittisIL

they have their ways of knowing

Reply to Thread New Thread