LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Cwvnyfsj

Default Who pays for a wedding?
In your culture, who pays for a wedding?

Because I was about to get married (which didn't work out by the way) and the conflict started when talks of who pays for the wedding started to arise.

For example, in the Asian culture, it's mostly the man and usually supported by his family who pays for the wedding but that's totally different in the American tradition where it's the woman and the family who pays for the wedding. (It makes a bit of sense for the man to pay because it proves to the woman that he could support her, doesn't it? Or maybe it's too old fashioned...)

Personally, I agree on splitting the bill because of the hard economic times...but that wasn't enough to save our engagement. (Yes, he broke off the engagement because his family, particularly the mother didn't want to give any money to us, even though they could afford to easily. He was sick of being nagged by me AND the mother about paying. Maybe that is a sign of an unstable relationship, who knows?)

By the way, this is a LOT cheaper than therapy! Hehe.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
errolespopume

As you might know Sweden is a monarchy, and our crown princess Victoria is getting married tomorrow with a commoner.

Vickan as we call her.
http://www.topnews.in/files/victora_nobel_2007.jpg

And I believe it is us, the people who pays for that sheat. It's a big hype about this in Sweden rught about now. About the wedding that is. It's on the radio, TV in the newspapers. Everywhere. Personally I couldn't care less. If I'm paying for it, why the F am I not invited?

Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
wsbizwsa

I wouldn't say it's the female's side that pays for it in the USA; the bride-to-be usually just gets to decide how it goes, lol. Both sides usually help out with the bill, but many times one side is more willing to spend than the other, especially if they have the resources to do so. For the most part though (depending on the age of the couple), the bride and groom are the ones footing the bill... they just get some help from the parents.

---------- Post added 2010-06-18 at 08:30 ----------

Also in India, I heard it's the bride's family that responsible for the bill... though the groom's side can aide if they want to.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
buchmausar

In your culture, who pays for a wedding?

Because I was about to get married (which didn't work out by the way) and the conflict started when talks of who pays for the wedding started to arise.

For example, in the Asian culture, it's mostly the man and usually supported by his family who pays for the wedding but that's totally different in the American tradition where it's the woman and the family who pays for the wedding. (It makes a bit of sense for the man to pay because it proves to the woman that he could support her, doesn't it? Or maybe it's too old fashioned...)

Personally, I agree on splitting the bill because of the hard economic times...but that wasn't enough to save our engagement. (Yes, he broke off the engagement because his family, particularly the mother didn't want to give any money to us, even though they could afford to easily. He was sick of being nagged by me AND the mother about paying. Maybe that is a sign of an unstable relationship, who knows?)

By the way, this is a LOT cheaper than therapy! Hehe.
You know, it's 2010. Couples generally pay for their wedding together, the thing with the family of the daughter, or whoever paying is cultural. Chances are if you decide to follow a traditional custom then your marriage will also be dictated by that.

My husband and I payed for our wedding together. We decided what the style would be with a wedding planner and without any family intervention or headaches. And it worked out perfectly.

Doesn't sound like your guy was ready for a commitment and had a lot of family pressure influencing him. He wasn't financially independent, nor emotionally bonded to you enough to make a decision with you to get married on your own without the family interfering. A marriage is a legal contract, the wedding is a cultural ceremony. Sometimes when two people want to marry and be together, they skip the wedding formality and get married and then have a celebration when they can afford it.

Every couple is different.

---------- Post added 2010-06-18 at 13:49 ----------

As you might know Sweden is a monarchy, and our crown princess Victoria is getting married tomorrow with a commoner.

Vickan as we call her.
http://www.topnews.in/files/victora_nobel_2007.jpg

And I believe it is us, the people who pays for that sheat. It's a big hype about this in Sweden rught about now. About the wedding that is. It's on the radio, TV in the newspapers. Everywhere. Personally I couldn't care less. If I'm paying for it, why the F am I not invited?
Ha! So I guess that means you're not sending them a gift?

Well, if the monarchy doesn't look good, then the people don't look good right?

Maybe they'll get a discount on the champagne?

Old 06-19-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
8cyVn4RJ

If you're getting married, you're merging your finances, so you're both paying.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
artkolkovk

When my brother got married, her parents paid for the hall rental and food while my parents paid for the flowers, decorations and photographer. I dont know if thats standard or just because his inlaws are much wealthier than my family and if we'd paid for that it wouldn't have been as nice an affair.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
JohnVK

Ha! So I guess that means you're not sending them a gift?
No, me peronally won't send them anything. I think our prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt already gave them "the peoples gift". Some glasses I think.

Well, if the monarchy doesn't look good, then the people don't look good right?
Yea, I guess you are right about that. I don't have anything against our royal family. The king is cool, dyslectic and gotten the nickname "Knugen". It's like misspelling king to knig. He has alot of veteran cars and shit.

The queen Silvia talks with a funny german accent and is half german half brazilian. Victoria do help poor kids. The prince Carl-philip I don't know much about. I think he wrapped his Ferrari around a tree. The youngest and hottest of them all princess Madeleine she, well she is just very hot.

http://www.google.se/images?hl=sv&cl...og&sa=N&tab=wi

Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
grinaJanoDant

I think it is a waste of money.
Now more than ever.

It seems.
Many of these Marriages last about as long as the Time it takes these couples to make that sum of money to pay for the wedding.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
JOR4qxYH

The bride's dad normally, these days, with the cost of weddings (£10,000+ for a biggish one in the UK) it's usually the bank who foots the cost and the two idiots getting married who keep paying for it until long after they're divorced

Old 06-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
ValintinoV

^Necromancer.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
oraltyrap

Usually the couple pays for the wedding, I believe, these days.

I got married at age 23 . Just out of college, no job. My parents paid for most of it.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
Futfwrca

I don't even think my parents had a wedding. I think they got married at court. This was probably done to save any money. Me and my lady will have to split the costs because my currently living parent ain't much pay for my needs as a child growing up, much less now for a wedding My lady's mom doesn't have any funds for that neither. So it's all up to us.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #13
carinsurancess

The bride's dad normally, these days, with the cost of weddings (£10,000+ for a biggish one in the UK) it's usually the bank who foots the cost and the two idiots getting married who keep paying for it until long after they're divorced
Females/Women are expected/supposed to pay in the US…

Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
zueqhbyhp

Really? Is that only for white Americans? I have not seen this among the African American population.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Scukonahuy

In that case...do any American girls want this English lad?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #16
daguy

In that case...do any American girls want this English lad?

Unome could arrange you some marriage, having been married that way you would understand deeper your bangladeshi neighbours from traditional families

Old 06-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #17
mpxricyNimb

Really? Is that only for white Americans? I have not seen this among the African American population.
Maybe… I hadn't thought about that. In fact I don't know how Latinos/Aframs arrange their marriage costs…

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 16:45 ----------

Unome could arrange you some marriage, having been married that way you would understand deeper your bangladeshi neighbours from traditional families
Ha, first I would need some 'Ladies' to marry-off…

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #18
erepsysoulpfbs

The couple and if they have no money , their parents.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
Sttim

The couple and if they have no money , their parents.
What about if the parents don't have any money?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
NanoKakadze

What about if the parents don't have any money?
They marry only in the city hall

Reply to Thread New Thread