LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
LindaSmithIV

Default Swedes show tolerance against minorities
And Danes show less tolerance.

To counter the "intolerant Germans news", which has been a hot discussion subject for the past few days, here comes a study on what Swedes (and Danes, who seem to be less tolerant) think about immigration, immigrants and Islam:

http://islamineurope.blogspot.com/20...-on-islam.html
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_oqXpnURgYX..._251355a_E.JPG

Only 12 percent of all Swedes wouldn't right away accept their child marrying an immigrant, compared 30 percent of all Danes. That's quite a difference, I'd say. It should prove that you cannot speak of a "Germanic mentality" (or even a pan-Scandinavian one) in my opinion.

Discussion:

1. Do you think this is good or bad?
2. Should Islamophobia and xenophobia be connected with each other?
3. Why are the Danes less tolerant than the Swedes? Might it be because they, while they have fewer immigrants than Sweden, have more radical Muslims (I'm thinking of the Muhammed cartoon riots)?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
we0MA4MI

1. Do you think this is good or bad?
It is bad for both Danes and Swedes. Even 30% is ridiculously low. I would be truely ashtonished if 30% would approve daughter marrying a muslim.

2. Should Islamophobia and xenophobia be connected with each other? Partly yes. Xenophobia is fundamentally pure instinct of self-preservation and understanding that we live in a globalized world with limited resources. Everyone needs to take care of their own first and think others only after that.

Muslims (= MENAce) are foreign to Europe and main reason for xenophobic feelings amongst the Europeans. Thus they clearly build strong correlation between xenophobia (= self-preservation) and islamophobia (= sanity).

3. Why are the Danes less tolerant than the Swedes? Danes are better people.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
jackie Obrian

It is bad for both Danes and Swedes. Even 30% is ridiculously low. I would be truely ashtonished if 30% would approve daughter marrying a muslim.
It wouldn't surprise me if they have twisted the questions and answers. They probably just asked "if your son or daughter married an immigrant", and then added "refugee or immigrant" afterwards.

My mother is not an ethnic Swede, but she more or less has the mentality of one, and she said that she wouldn't mind if her daughter (she doesn't have a daughter, but hypothetically) married a, among others, South American immigrant. A Muslim or Gypsy would never ever get into the house though.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Bbjhjxfy

Lolz. Sifo is unreliable they are linked to the Social Democratic party of Sweden. http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sifo Founded in 1954.

What methodology they used, shouldn't they publicize it too?

Hummm...

In 2009 he conducted an anonymous-answer study which focused on non-Western immigration. In this study, 63% of Danes said non-Western immigration was negative, as did 65% of Swedes. 29% of Danes said non-Western immigrants were 'lazy', compared to 21% of Swedes.

Asked about the conflict in general, 6% of Swedes said the conflict between ethnic Swedes and non-Western immigrants was 'very big', 48% answered it was 'big' and just 2% answered that there was no conflict at all.

3. Why are the Danes less tolerant than the Swedes? Might it be because they, while they have fewer immigrants than Sweden, have more radical Muslims (I'm thinking of the Muhammed cartoon riots)?
Because they are a small country with a largest concentration of people, different from Sweden which is a big country with a small population, so many do not live near of the multicultural fantasy yet.

Wtf, it's was posted at an Islamic shit blog, what is the credibility of this? Put the link of the research study in Swedish, OP!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Nothatspecial

1. Good, unless you're Majorcan and in love with a Swedish/Dane chick. Otherwise I don't care.
2. All x-phobias makes me think of uncontrolled people rioting against unarmed people. But I think the entrance of people from muslim countries should be forbidden in the EU, along with their religion, minarets, etc.
3. Because Danes are more sensible? I don't know.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
tyclislavaify

Wtf, it's was posted at an Islamic shit blog, what is the credibility of this? Put the link of the research study in Swedish, OP!
I can't find any. "My" source was posted on Skadi, and I took it from there.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
arindiruppya

By the way, here many people use the term 'immigrant' for third world or developing countries immigrants, and foreigner for well-off or middle-class (usually European) non-native people. It's not correct, of course. Is it the same in Sweden/Denmark?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
ricochettty

By the way, here many people use the term 'immigrant' for third world or developing countries immigrants, and foreigner for well-off or middle-class (usually European) non-native people. It's not correct, of course. Is it the same in Sweden/Denmark?
In Sweden, immigrant (Swedish: invandrare) usually means Third World (particularly MENA) immigrants, no matter if they have moved here or are born here. It happens that politically correct people attack individuals with a background from neighbouring countries if they have a negative view of "immigrants", but they are generally not called immigrants. They are instead called what they are (Finns, Danes, Norwegians, Germans etc).

Old 10-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
gugqgbyzlp

I can't find any. "My" source was posted on Skadi, and I took it from there.
Lolz I have not found it at the Expressen yet then I'm gonna doubt of your source.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
halyshitzob

I wonder what the response would be if they were a Middle Eastern Christian, not a Muslim, but still a nonEuropean. I ask this because I wonder how much of it is about religion and how much about "race". If the person was of a Muslim background but an atheist our just agnostic would that matter to these people? I'm guessing for many it would not, not if they were seen as "non-white" (whatever that means where you live).

Like these Christian Palestinians:

http://www.rafahtoday.org/newsphotos...ami%20Ayad.jpg

As far as Islam being "foreign" to Europe, that is kind of laughable, as Islam has been in Europe for nearly 1,000 years. Obviously not in Northwestern Europe, but obviously in Southwest and Southeastern Europe...

Forget Middle Easterns, what if it was a Sikh?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
Zvmwissq

You just try to date a Pakistani girl here, and then see what happens when her parents find out. The resentment is far, far stronger the other way - but only for girls.

Jack, anything non-Muslim goes. I happen to know a Sikh girl here, and they're usually looked upon as Muslims, which she obviously don't like, since she's not one (She's dark for a Sikh, she looks like a somewhat dark Pakistani). I don't know the actual marrying strategy of Sikhs, so I can't really say.

I guess it's not due to their religion, I'm sure there are equally patriarchal people of any kind of faith, it just so happens that the ones here simply are Muslims.

They're like Alabama Inbreds, that's the people we've got here, not professors from the universities of Turkey. If you don't understand that, then you don't understand anything about the situation.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Inenuedbabnor

I think I remember reading that some leader of the Danish Nazi party got kicked out from the party because he married a Christian Palestinian woman. He constantly tried to defend himself with her "being a white Middle Easterner".

Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
dWSOj26H

You just try to date a Pakistani girl here, and then see what happens when her parents find out. The resentment is far, far stronger the other way - but only for girls.
So you aspire to be no better than third world backward immigrants from Pakistan.

Nice you have standards to live by.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
__CVineXPharm__

Immigrant does convey the criminality of those its describing so it is natural to use it for blacks etc as describing them as foreigners or migrants would chaff with their criminal mentality. I think any so called 'immigrant' who objects tobeing classified as a migrant or foreigner a terrorist.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
khjhkfggt

I think I remember reading that some leader of the Danish Nazi party got kicked out from the party because he married a Christian Palestinian woman. He constantly tried to defend himself with her "being a white Middle Easterner".
That's what I thought.

So Islam is just one reason, but even if it was not for Islam there would still be discrimination.

Religion is an issue though, as I pointed out, my future father-in-law told me to my face, in a nonaggressive way, that he could not accept a Muslim son-in-law, in fact he would be upset with a non-Catholic, but he could at least tolerate a Protestant.

When he first found out about me, he told my fiancee's mother something like "Swiss women should be with Swiss men!" However, he did agree to meet me, they had me over for dinner, and we got on very well. I think after he was informed I was raised Catholic, and he realized that I act "Western" he kind of relaxed a bit.

He still doesnt' like my future sister-in-laws Spanish boyfriend, referring to him as Der Spanier...never by his name, and she has been dating him for years! That has nothing to do with "race" or "ethnicity" though, more the fact he is lazy.

So I can see how some folks have major issues over religion, but in secular Europe, that is fairly rare, I'm thinking this has to do a lot with "race", religion is secondary.

---------- Post added 2010-10-19 at 09:02 ----------

Immigrant does convey the criminality of those its describing so it is natural to use it for blacks etc as describing them as foreigners or migrants would chaff with their criminal mentality. I think any so called 'immigrant' who objects tobeing classified as a migrant or foreigner a terrorist.
What the hell are you on about?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #16
Vapepreab

So you aspire to be no better than third world backward immigrants from Pakistan.

Nice you have standards to live by.
I'm no better than anybody, I don't get what you mean there, exactly how can you go from what I wrote to what you wrote above, that mystifies me a bit?

Maybe you can't think of the possibility that I do not describe my opinion, I try to describe the situation.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
Pheddytrourry

I don't take these kinds of studies too seriously, but:

Only 5,7 % of Sweden's population votes for SD (= "anti-immigration"-party).
In Denmark that kind of party (DF) gets much more votes. What was it in the last election? 14 %?

I wonder why more people vote for DF in Denmark than for SD in Sweden.
Possibly less swedes focus on the problems with bad integration than danes does.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #18
emorbimefed

Because DF is not a right wing party at all. I don't think that determines anything, they are an anti-Muslim Party no doubt about that.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #19
swissloveone

Because DF is not a right wing party at all. I don't think that determines anything, they are an anti-Muslim Party no doubt about that.
Jimmie Åkesson and SD have borrowed a lot from Pia Kjaersgård (who even visits them) and DF.

Only difference is that DF derives from a right-wing populist party while SD derives from a true racist organization (but that was long time ago, their appearence is absolutley not the same now, there aren't any loudy skinheads there)

Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
vNGiDaFX

Jack, anything non-Muslim goes. I happen to know a Sikh girl here, and they're usually looked upon as Muslims, which she obviously don't like, since she's not one (She's dark for a Sikh, she looks like a somewhat dark Pakistani). I don't know the actual marrying strategy of Sikhs, so I can't really say.

I guess it's not due to their religion, I'm sure there are equally patriarchal people of any kind of faith, it just so happens that the ones here simply are Muslims.

They're like Alabama Inbreds, that's the people we've got here, not professors from the universities of Turkey. If you don't understand that, then you don't understand anything about the situation.
No, in Islam, if you care about your religion, you will not let a daughter marry a nonMuslim. Men can marry Christians (Muhammad had a Christian and Jewish wife)...but the daughter must marry a Muslim, because the children are raised in the religion of the father traditionally.

Sure it has to do with patriarchy, but it is also in their faith. It is not like comparing them to inbred rednecks in Alabama.

They are just racist, xenophobes, etc.

Christianity actually states you should not marry outside your faith (well the Old Testament tells Jews not to), but most people ignore that now...

Many Muslims do not.

Reply to Thread New Thread