LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
beepbeet

Default Ethiopian Masinko music
I like the sound of it.

Is it just an Amhara thing or is it used by all habesha?

Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
DailyRingtone

You mean Masinko the instrument right? it is not used by just Amharic speakers, though it is mostly used by them, Tigres use the kerar more. Masinko probably was popularized in the middleages by these mobile entertainers for the kings and such in more urbanized areas , known as Azmaris, kind of like the troubadours.
Azmaris were clowns for the most part, and were not looked upon favourably by anybody who was somebody, but they were also the life of get togethers, weddings, celebrations, etc....there are still plenty of Azmari bets (house) in addis, matter of fact the older generation still refers to any bar as an Azmari bet.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Sironimoll

I like the sound of it.

Is it just an Amhara thing or is it used by all habesha?

The Masinko it self is mainly used by Amhara's, especially in bars were they play Azmari's

But other violin instruments are used throughout Africa that sound somewhat similar to the Masinko instrumentation.

Listen to Berber folk music for example, they use instruments similar to the Masinko (violin) and the Kirar (Ethiopian guitar)

Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
AccusaJalsBub

Good choice, Yonis. This is the first song that comes to mind, actually. When I saw the topic I was going to post this video.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #5
fedelwfget

The Masinko it self is mainly used by Amhara's, especially in bars were they play Azmari's

But other violin instruments are used throughout Africa that sound somewhat similar to the Masinko instrumentation.

Listen to Berber folk music for example, they use instruments similar to the Masinko (violin) and the Kirar (Ethiopian guitar)
Rat Worshiper. Even though,Average people looked down on individuals who played Mesonko or Chera wata as it is commonly known in the Eritrean highland and Tigray, wata along kirar is what makes the Tigrigna speaking people's music.

Tigray

Eritrea

But is true; As aware said, in Eritrea in particular Central region Kirar is more common and more popular than Chara wata.

Kirar Troubadour

Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
enurihent

Rat Worshiper. Even though,Average people looked down on individuals who played Mesonko or Chera wata as it is commonly known in the Eritrean highland and Tigray, wata along kirar is what makes the Tigrigna speaking people's music.

Tigray

Eritrea

But is true; As aware said, in Eritrea in particular Central region Kirar is more common and more popular than Chara wata.

Kirar Troubadour
Nice try Shabia, I'm not a Hindu.

I rarely see the Masinqo being used in Tigray music, also I notice the kirar is played differently in Tigray than in Amhara music, In Tigray they play chord progressions, were as in Amhara music, they pluck single note strings.

Tirgay Kirar

Amhara Kirar

Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
marcusdexz

Not only Tigrayans but also some oromos use the masinqo. The difference in use lies in the fact that the qenet (Modal systems) in Amharic and Tigrigna are rather similar, while they are different in oromigna. The qenets are called in Amharic :tezeta, bati, ambassel, and anchihoy.

Here are some older/professional players of the instrument playing and explaining its use in Amharic,Oromigna and Tigriyna.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
ArraryTauTDew

When Wata is used for religious purposes, it sounds so cool just like Teddy Afro's new song.

And one of my favorite.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
guduw

An African notification is served for the spread of the information. It has been shared with https://www.aussiewritingreviews.com...ervice-review/ for all modes and all measures for the individuals.

Reply to Thread New Thread