LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
egershna

Default People claim to be Cherokee
but don't resemble or look Cherokee and have no idea about Cherokee culture, traditions and values.

I love fake people.

Real Cherokees

Look at these fake Cherokees.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Zvmwissq

The last two people in the right could past for native americans or this case Cherokee. However the other people within the picture is very doubtful, but sometimes you never know.

However as far as many these self proclaimed Cherokees among the European american and Afram population, which seems to be numerous, i seriously doubt such claims to to the Cherokee population, which logically don't add up!

Old 06-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Coededgeme

How can you be proud or claim a culture that you're ignorant of?

Almost all the individuals that I've met claiming to be Cherokee have no knowledge of the Cherokee culture.

I've met a Greek who boasted about Greek pride. Then when I mentioned to him about Greek Pagans, he bashed and called them retards. I find that absolutely funny.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
toopyimport

How can you be proud or claim a culture that you're ignorant of?

Almost all the individuals that I've met claiming to be Cherokee have no knowledge of the Cherokee culture.

I've met a Greek who boasted about Greek pride. Then when I mentioned to him about Greek Pagans, he bashed and called them retards. I find that absolutely funny.
I can empathize with the greeks situation, from their perspective that is the old culture, which is very different from what people believe now.

Also, i am not sure of the education level in Greece in regards in educating the people of their ancient heritage.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
vTLWqa1l

Don't you have to be a card carrying Cherokee to claim you are? I have a co-worker who tells me she's a direct descendant of Pocahontas... ...

Old 06-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
feqlmwtuqx

Strangely, I can go into a native american culture and understand it....

I guess coming from a shamanistic culture, I can related to many native american rituals/traditions.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
VladFal

Why do you such an objection to their claims? Do you feel they aren't real claims or they should learn the culture?

Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
broksaksaak

Strangely, I can go into a native american culture and understand it....

I guess coming from a shamanistic culture, I can related to many native american rituals/traditions.
However the question is do the Cherokee still practice shamanism?, what i understand about them they were considered the so called civilize tribe in the past. Since they adopted certain European customs and acquired slaves as well. I read that somewhere, in my American history coarse in College.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
sessoorale

I feel they aren't real claims.

I am mixed of various ethnic groups, but I don't practice their cultures, so I don't claim their cultures or ethnic identity.

So, anyone who claims to be part of a culture and does not know the culture truly cannot claim the culture.

---------- Post added 2012-06-12 at 21:46 ----------

However the question is do the Cherokee still practice that shamanism?, what i understand about them they were considered the so called civilize tribe in the past. Since they adopted certain European customs and acquired slaves as well. I read that somewhere, in my American history coarse in College.
Actually, although shamanism died among many native american cultures, it's still largely part of many of their traditions and customs, just like how european pagan traditions were incorporated into christianity.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
textarchive

I have Cherokee ancestry through my mother! I think it's my grandmother that's Cherokee and Hispanic. I don't know what band she is, nor am I affiliated with any tribe. I don't know much about Cherokees. Haha I visited New Echota once

---------- Post added 2012-06-13 at 00:53 ----------

Don't you have to be a card carrying Cherokee to claim you are? I have a co-worker who tells me she's a direct descendant of Pocahontas... ...
Haha Pocahontas wasn't even Cherokee! [COLOR="Silver"]

Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
freevideoandoicsI

If she descends from an old Virginia family called the red Bollings, then she is telling you the truth. They descend from Pocahontas' son with John Rolfe whom was born not long before she died. There are lots of red Bollings around today. One of the most famous was Edith Bolling Galt Wilson, Woodrow Wilson's second wife who some feel ran the country after his stroke.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
tsaaapla

I agree with the spirit of your post. I was recently determined to have some small fraction of Native American ancestry but it means nothing to me as far as identification. I identify more with my colonial ancestors who fought with Native Americans. Frankly speaking, I only identify as American, although I acknowledge my Japanese ancestry because it is recent and I had some cultural influence from a native born Japanese in my childhood and as an adult. Some specs of NA ancestry in my chromosome painting with a hypothesis of its possible origin mean nothing to me, other than to serve as an academic curiosity.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
johnstylet

If she descends from an old Virginia family called the red Bollings, then she is telling you the truth. They descend from Pocahontas' son with John Rolfe whom was born not long before she died. There are lots of red Bollings around today. One of the most famous was Edith Bolling Galt Wilson, Woodrow Wilson's second wife who some feel ran the country after his stroke.
She's originally from West Virginia..maybe she really is

Old 06-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
lopushok

My paternal grandmother was part Choctaw and looked it. I got genetical proof of my claims. Most Americans can only saw Cherokee because its the most known Native American tribe in the US.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
UriyVlasov

You learn more about certain Native American groups so I think it's just a lack of broader knowledge on our part. With the Internet, so much more information is available. Things will change.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #16
gogona

my grandmother had high cheekbones and straight black hair!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #17
orison

My paternal grandmother was part Choctaw and looked it. I got genetical proof of my claims. Most Americans can only saw Cherokee because its the most known Native American tribe in the US.
You took a test can you say what company it was and what your results were?

Reply to Thread New Thread