LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
intorkercet

Default Will the game . . .
ever become unplayable?

After only one weekend of the NFL, the injury list already has two starting QBs on it (that rotary is aware of). Two torn ACLs from the GB/Philly game, another concussion, a torn bicep, and a broken hand.

The NFL wants to go to 18 games.

rotary LOVES the NFL, but these freaks of human beings have become so big, so fast, so strong & so well armoured in the most modern of lightweight composite materials, IS the game getting just TOO dangerous?

What is the solution? Weight classes for each position?

WHAT will the level of play be if the league DOES go to 18 games? Expanding the rosters at the bottom just adds players who will not make that much of a difference other than more bodies into the meat grinder that is the NFL.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
bunkalapa

Robots, Mutants, Aliens, and Monsters.

That is the solution.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
QvhhbjLy

Rally Killer thinks Rotary's being a little over-dramatic. There's injuries every year and a lot of them. But Rally Killer doesn't think they need to make the season any longer. 16-19 Games is plenty.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
CurtisTH

Robots, Mutants, Aliens, and Monsters.

That is the solution.
And you are probably not too far off on a couple of those options, Mad.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
MeverikcNils

Rally Killer thinks Rotary's being a little over-dramatic. There's injuries every year and a lot of them. But Rally Killer doesn't think they need to make the season any longer. 16-19 Games is plenty.
Over dramatic? Really? Its just a fact. Even you say so.

Dont think for a minute the NFL isnt just 'a bit' concerned over a glut of injuries already. It doesnt do their argument ANY good to expand the season to 18 games.

If a player gets through the regular season with only the requisite 'bumps and bruises', its luck and nothing more.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #6
Nosmas

Whats the spread? Over/Under?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
SoOW2LeA

Whats the spread? Over/Under?
+/- 20 fatalities

Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
farmarrl

Over dramatic? Really? Its just a fact. Even you say so.

Dont think for a minute the NFL isnt just 'a bit' concerned over a glut of injuries already. It doesnt do their argument ANY good to expand the season to 18 games.

If a player gets through the regular season with only the requisite 'bumps and bruises', its luck and nothing more.
I'm just trying to figure out where this sudden revelation came from that football players get injured.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
wonceinee

I'm just trying to figure out where this sudden revelation came from that football players get injured.
Who said its a sudden revelation?

Its a point of fact that the NFL season is a meat grinder. 'Tackling', for the most part, has been replaced by high speed collisions akin to being in a car accident. To think that someone couldnt die on the playing field as a result of one them is just naive.

IF that ever happens, this little discussion will be getting visited on a much more broader scale by people who legislate things far more important than what happens on a football field.

** shrugs **

All that said, the NFL doesnt need to expand to 18 games. Its fine at 16 but the $$$ thats at stake will make it all but impossible to keep it from happening.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
bumxumer

ever become unplayable?

After only one weekend of the NFL, the injury list already has two starting QBs on it (that rotary is aware of). Two torn ACLs from the GB/Philly game, another concussion, a torn bicep, and a broken hand.

The NFL wants to go to 18 games.

rotary LOVES the NFL, but these freaks of human beings have become so big, so fast, so strong & so well armoured in the most modern of lightweight composite materials, IS the game getting just TOO dangerous?

What is the solution? Weight classes for each position?

WHAT will the level of play be if the league DOES go to 18 games? Expanding the rosters at the bottom just adds players who will not make that much of a difference other than more bodies into the meat grinder that is the NFL.
Two concussions. And, I only remember one ACL.....wasnt Grant just a sprained ankle?

I agree with the feeling one can take from that GB/Philly game....it was brutal in the first half.

That said the new concussion rules are intriguing (putting aside the Eagles letting Stewart Bradley back on the field for a snap or two).

I think that is one aspect you will see.....the stronger rules around re-entry from injuries, not just concussions but many injuries.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Klissineopar

Who said its a sudden revelation?

Its a point of fact that the NFL season is a meat grinder. 'Tackling', for the most part, has been replaced by high speed collisions akin to being in a car accident. To think that someone couldnt die on the playing field as a result of one them is just naive.

IF that ever happens, this little discussion will be getting visited on a much more broader scale by people who legislate things far more important than what happens on a football field.

** shrugs **

All that said, the NFL doesnt need to expand to 18 games. Its fine at 16 but the $$$ thats at stake will make it all but impossible to keep it from happening.
I guess I misinterpretted your first post because it seemed like season-ending injuries are something new to the game. And I agree 16 is plenty of games. Have you ever seen some of these ex-NFL'ers try to get around after their football years? Many have had dozens of surgeries and walk around like old men by the time they're 40. It's a brutal sport. Always has been and always will be.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
Finkevannon

Solution:
get rid of pads and helmets all together. maybe dangerous at first as players realize they need to slow down even as the tackle'er gets hurt too.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
googlopharm

I'll expound on Rotary's post, because the thought intrigued me.

I went and watched a Dick Butkus highlight reel. And then Ray Nitschke. And Jack Lambert.

One thing you don't see these guys do but RARELY is lead in with their shoulder or helmet with their hands under their chests. They're always going in *vertical*, wrapping up as they get to their target, with both arms around the ball carrier.

They were known as the meanest, most vicious sons-a-bitches in the history of the game, but the videos you watch show that their gameplay was much more geared towards making effective tackles than physically punishing a player.

Make no mistake, the game was still *violent*, and yes, plenty of people got injured, and often badly.

But I think the point is that 270 pound guys who can run 4.5 40's who are wearing composite body armor that's 5 times better than the *pads* they wore in the 50's and earlier are going to cause more, and worse, injuries. As they make the helmet better at protecting the head, they also make it a more effective weapon on the field of play.

I'm not saying there's some huge change that needs to be made, it's just a matter of fact when you have bigger, faster, stronger athletes, and couple that with the fact that the way the game is played has changed. *TACKLING* is a lost art, in my opinion.

It would be interesting to do a comparison study from say, 1950 to like 2009, and see what percentage of players suffered injuries that ended their season or caused them to miss significant playing time to see if any of my theories hold up.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
hubua990

Solution:
get rid of pads and helmets all together. maybe dangerous at first as players realize they need to slow down even as the tackle'er gets hurt too.
They started using pads and helmets in football BECAUSE people were dying. I don't see how going back to that would prevent deaths.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
Thifiadardivy

They started using pads and helmets in football BECAUSE people were dying. I don't see how going back to that would prevent deaths.
Dying? wow really? Was not aware that was a problem back then.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Aztegjpl

Two concussions. And, I only remember one ACL.....wasnt Grant just a sprained ankle?

I agree with the feeling one can take from that GB/Philly game....it was brutal in the first half.

That said the new concussion rules are intriguing (putting aside the Eagles letting Stewart Bradley back on the field for a snap or two).

I think that is one aspect you will see.....the stronger rules around re-entry from injuries, not just concussions but many injuries.
Grant ended up with a high ankle sprain and broken bone near the knee. The other torn ACL was Harrell's. To go along with Weaver's.

Reply to Thread New Thread