LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 08-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
vTLWqa1l

Default Vick on ESPN NOW
PC is on.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
9enackivegliva

I hope the judge doesn't buy the whole Vick not actually placing bets bit.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
RagonaCon

It'll be on for the next few months.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if E*PN would have a "Top Ten" countdown of athletes in court at the end of one of their "Sp*rtsCenters".

Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
9rCR9hWL

Ok, I saw the PC of Vick's and really don't know what I think. I'm not too sure how believable his apologies to everyone are. I'm pretty certain he knows what he did was wrong, I'm just not certain he really is sorry for actually doing what he did other than the fact that he got caught. I think his statement about changing himself as a person is accurate only because he knows when he gets out everyone will be on him like stink on shit. He's gonna have to be clean at least in that fashion.

I do however think his apologies to the Atlanta Falcons are rather heart felt as he's now going to be not playing football for the foreseeable future, which bums him out big-time. I'm pretty certain he knows how good he had it under Arthur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons organization.

One thing I do believe is that this whole experience has opened his eyes and he knows somethings gonna have to change.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
exhibeKed

The one thing that made me really skeptical of his statement was the little blurb in the middle of it all when he said he had given himself up to God and Jesus.

Why does it take getting caught in a crime make you finally give yourself up to Jesus? That seemed quite weak on his part. Not too convincing to me.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
anderriter

Ok, I saw the PC of Vick's and really don't know what I think. I'm not too sure how believable his apologies to everyone are. I'm pretty certain he knows what he did was wrong, I'm just not certain he really is sorry for actually doing what he did other than the fact that he got caught. I think his statement about changing himself as a person is accurate only because he knows when he gets out everyone will be on him like stink on shit. He's gonna have to be clean at least in that fashion.

I do however think his apologies to the Atlanta Falcons are rather heart felt as he's now going to be not playing football for the foreseeable future, which bums him out big-time. I'm pretty certain he knows how good he had it under Arthur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons organization.

One thing I do believe is that this whole experience has opened his eyes and he knows somethings gonna have to change.
I agree.

He didn't have to have a press conference, so I give him credit for that.

However, when you stand to lose upwards of 100 million dollars, your freedom, and perhaps your future after jail, you'd be apologizing to those who handle your life in their hands as well.

He's looking for leniency from both the judge and the commish me thinks.

He's only sorry to Arthur Blank b/c he stands to lose another 22M to him and the Falcons as well.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
bestworkothlo

I'm sure Vick is looking for as much leniency as possible.

Also, in regards to the $22million he stands to lose to the Falcons, ESPN cited another case (I don't recall the name of the player for the Titans I think) where the team tried to get back a bunch of money and the NFLPA stepped in and the team only recovered about $3.5million.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think the Falcons have legitimate claim to all of that money. Like I mentioned in another thread, he signed that contract in 2004 and played with uninterupted service to the team despite a few minor extra-curricular incidents. There was no indication of such an operation under Vick before recently. I believe they're only entitled to the money prorated over this season and the remainder of his current contract. Maybe $10million max?

I would hope that Mr. Upshaw and his representatives would give Vick their assistance considering the fact that he's part of the NFLPA and is afforded that right as a member of the union.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
AromeWahmaron

I'm sure Vick is looking for as much leniency as possible.

Also, in regards to the $22million he stands to lose to the Falcons, ESPN cited another case (I don't recall the name of the player for the Titans I think) where the team tried to get back a bunch of money and the NFLPA stepped in and the team only recovered about $3.5million.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't think the Falcons have legitimate claim to all of that money. Like I mentioned in another thread, he signed that contract in 2004 and played with uninterupted service to the team despite a few minor extra-curricular incidents. There was no indication of such an operation under Vick before recently. I believe they're only entitled to the money prorated over this season and the remainder of his current contract. Maybe $10million max?

I would hope that Mr. Upshaw and his representatives would give Vick their assistance considering the fact that he's part of the NFLPA and is afforded that right as a member of the union.
Without looking it up, Vick signed something like 10 years/130M. So its quite possible the 22M IS the prorated part.

Not sure though.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
Unakjyfk

The way it's been reported, the signing bonus as a whole was worth $22million for the whole contract. At least that's how I understand it.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #10
nushentelve

The way it's been reported, the signing bonus as a whole was worth $22million for the whole contract. At least that's how I understand it.
This is Vick's contract info:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=2107

12/23/2004: Signed a ten-year, $130 million contract extension through 2013. The deal included a $7.5 million signing bonus and contains $37 million in total guarantees. 2007: $6 million (+ $7.5 million roster bonus), 2008: $7.5 million, 2009: $9 million, 2010: $10.5 million, 2011: $12 million, 2012: $12.5 million, 2013: $13.5 million, 2014: Free Agent

Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
Viyzarei

Bonuses and this season's salary only add up to $21million. Not sure where the other million comes in? If those are the numbers they're considering. Any other possible numbers?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Jifyicyfuhpop

Bonuses and this season's salary only add up to $21million. Not sure where the other million comes in? If those are the numbers they're considering. Any other possible numbers?
That's all I have.

It depends on how they wrote the language on the contract, but if some of the guarantees are based on roster bonuses, they haven't paid those anyways.

Obviously, a signing bonus is an instant payment, but according to what I showed you, the actual signing bonus is small.

I figured they were trying to recover future years on the signing bonus.

I'm not sure how the 37M guaranteed money is broken down though, but essentially what they'd be looking to recover would be for 2007-2013

Old 08-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
KuevDulin

That's all I have.

It depends on how they wrote the language on the contract, but if some of the guarantees are based on roster bonuses, they haven't paid those anyways.

Obviously, a signing bonus is an instant payment, but according to what I showed you, the actual signing bonus is small.

I figured they were trying to recover future years on the signing bonus.

I'm not sure how the 37M guaranteed money is broken down though, but essentially what they'd be looking to recover would be for 2007-2013
Yeah, it's all a little fuzzy to me without some of the specifics being released by the Falcons and Vick's representatives.

Something tells me the Falcons don't get nearly what they're asking for.

Reply to Thread New Thread