LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Kimmitmelvirm

Default Nike suspends Vick's new shoe
Vick's troubles suspend release of Nike product
td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }By GEORGE HENRY, Associated Press Writer
July 19, 2007

ATLANTA (AP) -- Michael Vick's legal troubles prompted Nike on Thursday to suspend the release of its latest product line named after the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.
Nike has told retailers it will not release a fifth signature shoe, the Air Zoom Vick V, this summer. Nike spokesman Dean Stoyer said the four shoe products and three shirts that currently bear Vick's name will remain in stores.
ADVERTISEMENT
if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['331PA9j8a3k-']='&U=13bqe9g4n%2fN%3d331PA9j8a3k-%2fC%3d577870.11071337.11647328.1806201%2fD%3dLREC %2fB%3d4512408';Vick will be arraigned next week in a Richmond, Va., federal courtroom on charges of sponsoring a gruesome dogfighting operation.
Meanwhile, Falcons owner Arthur Blank issued a statement Thursday, saying the organization is "working diligently on exploring our options."
"This is an emotionally charged and complicated matter," Blank said. "There are a wide range of interests and legal issues that need to be carefully considered as we move ahead, including our need to respect the due process that Michael is entitled to. Also, this situation affects everyone -- our club, our players and associates, our sponsors, our fans and the Atlanta community among them -- so we must consider all of our customers in making any decisions.
"Given the differing perspectives and strong feelings around this issue, we probably won't make everyone happy, but we are committed to doing the right thing. As the owner of this club that's, ultimately, my responsibility."
Blank added that he was "saddened and distressed about this -- not for myself, for our fans and community who have been so loyal to us."
ESPN reported that Vick had called Blank on Wednesday. The network said its sources believed Vick to have been contrite, and he apologized for the distractions the case has created, and thanked Blank for his support.
Stoyer said Nike still has a standing contract with Vick, but declined to speculate on his future with the company.
A statement released by Nike Inc. said the company "is concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations made against Michael Vick, and we consider any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent. We do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen; therefore, we have not terminated our relationship."
Stoyer, who declined to discuss terms of Vick's contract, indicated the company has no commercials or documentaries planned with the three-time NFL Pro Bowl selection.
In previous years, Nike has run footage and interviews with Vick on its Web site, but none of the video promotions are currently posted.
"Some of that was shown on a limited run based on rights and usage," Stoyer said. "There's nothing new planned."
The Humane Society of the United States issued a statement calling upon Nike to pull its Vick clothing and shoes from retailers and from its web site. It also called upon NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend Vick.
Vick signed his current contract with Nike in 2001, the same year Atlanta chose him as the NFL's No. 1 overall draft pick. After leading the Falcons to the 2002 and '04 playoffs, Vick last year became the first quarterback in league history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.

Use what you learned in this article to dominate at Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football '07

Updated on Thursday, Jul 19, 2007 6:16 pm, EDT
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Shoulda named the shoe "Pit Bull"

Old 07-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
hopertveyk

People jumping past due process makes me sick. I hate the idea of dogfighting, and I think Vick knew what was going on at the property, even if he wasn't directly involved. But let the man have his day in court before throwing him under the bus.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Bromikka

People jumping past due process makes me sick. I hate the idea of dogfighting, and I think Vick knew what was going on at the property, even if he wasn't directly involved. But let the man have his day in court before throwing him under the bus.
judging from the article it doesn't sound like they're jumping past due process at all. they've only suspended the shoe and haven't severed ties with Vick

Old 07-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
GennadiyRom

despite whether he is guilty or not, it is still a very bad thing for his image and Nike should not want to be associated with him. I think releasing his shoes would come off as a joke. They are definitely doing the right thing here.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
citalopram

despite whether he is guilty or not, it is still a very bad thing for his image and Nike should not want to be associated with him. I think releasing his shoes would come off as a joke. They are definitely doing the right thing here.
agree 100%. if animal rights activists haven't already started bangin down Nike's doors, they soon would be

Old 07-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
Jffxljtw

Fuck him.

He's had 7 years to grow up and be a leader.

Gives out herpes as Ron Mexico?

Okay, he made a youthful mistake.

Flips off the home fans with both hands?

Strike 1

Tries to board a plane with his little water bottle/bong?

Strike 2

Up to his eyeballs in a dog fighting ring?

Strike 3

Hell, this is just the shit we hear about.

It isn't like Nike made him sign for millions to be their spokesman.

BTW Kobe Bryant's shoe and commecials were dropped way before his trial, so precedence is established.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Adimondin

very similar to the Kobe situation, which they magically made disappear. He is still going to be thought of as a rapist and it was one of the worst things for his image.

Vick is not as smart as Kobe and it is not going to end as smoothly for him. All evidence points to him.

Then again, it could be like the Duke case where the media convicted them before anything could be played out in court. The media is going to be a huge factor in this and they need to find a way to keep ESPN out of this.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
bF8CCmmr

vick has hurt the NFL, his team and athletes in general, who cares about his due process. he already has committed conduct detrimental to the team, he COULD, but wont, get suspended before the court date because of that. and for making soooo many people not like him because hes a dog fighting piece of shit, NIKE should kick him to the curb, why would they even want to do business with him anymore.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
exschke

My beef is with people saying that he be dropped by Nike, that he be suspended by the NFL, and so forth. I think Nike made the right decision in not releasing the new shoe due to the circumstances, but at this time I don't think anything merits a recall on old product (which is probably limited now anyway) or an outright release.

Of course, Nike could decide at any time to drop him, especially if this heads to trial, or even if he plea bargains out.

I'm not saying Vick is innocent, because I think he had some clue what was going on, even if he wasn't directly involved. I think it's premature to demand suspensions or the end of endorsement contracts until the extent of his involvement is proven.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
sportlife

My beef is with people saying that he be dropped by Nike, that he be suspended by the NFL, and so forth. I think Nike made the right decision in not releasing the new shoe due to the circumstances, but at this time I don't think anything merits a recall on old product (which is probably limited now anyway) or an outright release.

Of course, Nike could decide at any time to drop him, especially if this heads to trial, or even if he plea bargains out.

I'm not saying Vick is innocent, because I think he had some clue what was going on, even if he wasn't directly involved. I think it's premature to demand suspensions or the end of endorsement contracts until the extent of his involvement is proven.
any involvement at all is dispiccable and he should be treated as such. lets not forget he already lied to goodell about his involvement.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
Lapsiks

sort of related note, I was in niketown back when i was home in chicago and they finally released a kobe bryant signature shoe?

I think this is the right move by nike, just delay it and see what happens, it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation, nike thought of themselves first, as they should have done in this situation. you cannot as a company be paying people millions upon millions only to have their bad decisions make your company look foolish.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
Irravepem

weve seen how quickly endorsement deals go south, look at what Oh'Reilly did to Ludacris with his endorsment by nothing more than calling out pepsi or coke whoever it was. Im surprised Nike hasnt already pulled the trigger.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
Biassasecumma

Does Due Process cover sneaker deals? I have to go reread my Bill of Rights.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:16 AM   #14
allachakb

Does Due Process cover sneaker deals? I have to go reread my Bill of Rights.
lmao! nice. on a side note, had to go to the Dr today to renew my DOT physical. while i'm waiting in the examining room, i was reading an issue of SI with Vince Young on the cover. the Dr comes in, saw what i was reading and asks "how bout that Michael Vick?"

Old 07-21-2007, 12:20 AM   #15
AlekseyZubkov

any involvement at all is dispiccable and he should be treated as such. lets not forget he already lied to goodell about his involvement.
I'm trying to remember if Kobe's sponsors started abandoning ship before the trial or not.

Given the way that some high-profile cases (Bryant, Duke lax) have fallen apart, I'd say that the league and Nike both are doing the right thing by being judicious about the matter, for now.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #16
Appeselve

I'm trying to remember if Kobe's sponsors started abandoning ship before the trial or not.

Given the way that some high-profile cases (Bryant, Duke lax) have fallen apart, I'd say that the league and Nike both are doing the right thing by being judicious about the matter, for now.
nike didn't put out his shoe. i believe sprite pulled his commercials.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 AM   #17
Plokiikmol

it's being reported that the league and falcons may ask him to take a leave of absence for the 2007 season.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #18
Accecyncphory

it's being reported that the league and falcons may ask him to take a leave of absence for the 2007 season.
yeah, they mentioned that on the radio earlier

Old 07-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #19
IACJdKfU

Well, I'm sure a lot of that depends on the bond hearing. I wonder if he'll even be allowed to leave Virginia after that.

He may not have a choice.

Reply to Thread New Thread