brulpcoersero

Default Vick may face indictment soon
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2888085

Source: Vick probe receiving increased attention from feds

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: May 31, 2007, 5:43 PM ET
Two law enforcement officials familiar with the investigation have told ESPN.com they believe there is sufficient evidence to indict Michael Vick in connection with a suspected dog fighting ring that was run on property the Falcons quarterback owned in Virginia.

The sources, however, cautioned this week that, based on the current evidence, it might be difficult to successfully prosecute Vick, who has denied knowledge of dog fighting at the property in Surry County.

"There is probably enough there to bring a bill [of indictment]," one source said, "but how some of [the evidence] would play out at trial, or if it even reached a trial ... I just don't know. These kinds of prosecutions are tough. There are some holes, definitely, and that's why [investigators] are digging for more information. You want more than just smoke. You're always looking for the smoking gun.
"I mean, what you think you know and what you know you know, and what you can prove to other people you know ... well, they aren't always the same. But this is a fluid thing, so we'll see where it goes."

On Wednesday, Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald G. Poindexter told ESPN that he recently received a call from a person he deemed credible and that the informant gave him information regarding the ongoing investigation. Television station WAVY of Portsmouth, Va., reported Wednesday that informants have come forward who have said they can link Vick to dog fighting.
"We have people who are volunteering to make those allegations," Poindexter said. Asked whether there was evidence that placed Vick at dog fights, Poindexter said, "Yes."

Poindexter told ESPN's Kelly Naqi that he is convinced dog fighting took place on the property, saying he is continuing to pursue a strong case.
"If he did anything, he won't get away with it, if we can prove it. But it's not easy," Poindexter said. "That's why we're moving carefully, slowly. We're trying to build a strong case."

Poindexter referenced a 2000 case that involved dog fighting and that was dismissed because of Fourth Amendment issues. He said he will forward affidavits to the state attorney's appellate division to have officials there review it in terms of its admissibility for court. He cited the same Fourth Amendment issues as the reason he did not permit officials to move forward with a warrant to search the Vick property earlier this week.

One ESPN.com source acknowledged that at least one federal agency beyond the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which was represented at a recent meeting with local investigators, has taken "a pretty serious interest" in the investigation in recent days.

One of the sources has firsthand knowledge of the evidence that was presented May 21 during a two-hour meeting that included Poindexter and a representative from the USDA. The other was apprised frequently of what is included in the evidence but has not yet reviewed it directly.

Both sources were reluctant to discuss the evidence in detail. But one said that, beyond forensic evidence and also the dog-training paraphernalia that has been shown in various television reports, there are also "some documents" that suggest dog fighting was taking place. Queried about the documents, which were seized from the property, the source would say only that although "there is paperwork" that includes Vick's name or what are said to be references to him, it appears none bears his signature.

"There are some dots," the source said, "but it's putting them all in a straight line that's been a challenge. There's a lot of stuff to look at and consider. But preponderance doesn't always equal proof, so they're trying to dot I's and cross T's."
Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, did not return messages.

On Wednesday, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that Poindexter could convene a special grand jury to consider the case. The regular grand jury is not scheduled to meet until July 24, Surry County clerk of courts Gail P. Clayton said. The grand jury meets on the fourth Tuesday of every other month, beginning in January.

The Journal-Constitution reported that two people claiming to have information that might aid the investigation have contacted law enforcement authorities and that Poindexter was performing due diligence on the background of one of the two. Both of the sources who spoke to ESPN.com said claims that people have possible information that might strengthen the case is consistent with their understanding of the progress being made.
Those people, their credibility and the value of the information they claim to have are being scrutinized.

"It would help [the case], obviously, if someone stepped up with something concrete," one ESPN.com source said. "A figure in a shadow, with a Darth Vader-type voice, that's fine, but sooner or later someone has to put their hand on a Bible in front of a jury."

ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday interviewed a confidential informant, speaking on camera with his face hidden and his voice disguised, who alleged Vick is a "heavyweight" in dog fighting circles. He claimed that Vick owned and fought dogs and bet heavily on them.

The pace of the investigation and the timing of any possible indictment against embattled Vick, who is playing under a $130 million contract and is the face of Atlanta's franchise, could be critical to his plans for the 2007 season and to any potential sanctions by the NFL. If a grand jury in Surry County does not meet until late July, that would be right about the time Vick and the Falcons are to report to training camp.

Some observers believe there might be enough potential maneuvers to delay a trial -- if the case reaches that point -- until after the season. Such trials typically have lasted eight months or more. The NFL, which has offered the services of its security department to assist local authorities in the investigation, continues to monitor the proceedings closely.

It is not known whether commissioner Roger Goodell would consider sanctions against Vick if he is merely indicted. Goodell emphasized last week, at the NFL's spring meeting in Nashville, that the recent severe suspensions of Tennessee cornerback Pacman Jones and Cincinnati wide receiver Chris Henry were based in part on their status as repeat offenders of the league's personal conduct policy.
Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
pharmacologist30

I'm not a Vick fan, but this is slander. Either indict him or shut the fuck up.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Appeselve

I'm in agreement with you.

I don't know how this is supposed to stay quiet and allow a jury to be unbiased when it's already news that he could be indicted.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
WeightWatchyshow

I'm in agreement with you.

I don't know how this is supposed to stay quiet and allow a jury to be unbiased when it's already news that he could be indicted.
State or district attorneys should be removed and fined for shit like this.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
Rwujnezq

Welcome to the world of Celebrity.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 PM   #6
IronpumpedLady

Welcome to the world of Celebrity.
Celebrity should have no effect on the public speaking of Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald G. Poindexter.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Annevecenqp

Celebrity should have no effect on the public speaking of Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald G. Poindexter.
When's the last time he had a case, and had a press conference? Did he say similar things?

The problem isn't so much that he's talking - it's that we're all listening.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:49 PM   #8
Nikitka

When's the last time he had a case, and had a press conference? Did he say similar things?

The problem isn't so much that he's talking - it's that we're all listening.
I don't know Poindexter's history, nor do I feel like researching it. I have paid attention to Nifong's history.

His past actions do not make this action any better or worse, it's still flat wrong.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
Bill-Watson

I don't know Poindexter's history, nor do I feel like researching it. I have paid attention to Nifong's history.

His past actions do not make this action any better or worse, it's still flat wrong.
You misunderstand me.

Celebrity works both ways - we are paying attention because it's Vick, and it give the DA some time in the national spotlight - i.e., Celebrity.

Double-edged sword - and both of them can cut deep.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Ztcgtqvb

if tank johnson is gonna miss 8 games, I bet vick misses a whole season for this once it goes to trial. Goodell cannot like seeing an employee of his on every single news channel every day in North America and probably Europe.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #11
rozneesitcn

I always thought indictment should be spelled differently. How often is there a silent 'ct'? What language does that come from?

-ill

Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #12
Oppofeescom

You misunderstand me.

Celebrity works both ways - we are paying attention because it's Vick, and it give the DA some time in the national spotlight - i.e., Celebrity.

Double-edged sword - and both of them can cut deep.
See: Lacrosse, Duke; Bryant, Kobe

DA's absolutely LOVE high-profile cases. Anything to get them in the spotlight more -- especially when an election is less than 18 months away.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
AnthonyKing

See: Lacrosse, Duke; Bryant, Kobe

DA's absolutely LOVE high-profile cases. Anything to get them in the spotlight more -- especially when an election is less than 18 months away.
Yes but on the same times its why 90% of these guys never go to court.

Ahman green, pac man jones, allen iverson, chris henry to name a few

Old 06-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
erelvenewmeva

if tank johnson is gonna miss 8 games, I bet vick misses a whole season for this once it goes to trial. Goodell cannot like seeing an employee of his on every single news channel every day in North America and probably Europe.
I would figure Vick gets at least a year considering the potential severity of the case and previous examples (Tank Johnson and Pac-Man Jones).

I don't think Vick's record is as vast as Pac-Man's is, but he's not exactly Mr. Clean as well... My brain says he'll get a season and change (4-8 games) suspension, but my gut tells me not to expect any more than a year, if that.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
artofeyyy

I would figure Vick gets at least a year considering the potential severity of the case and previous examples (Tank Johnson and Pac-Man Jones).

I don't think Vick's record is as vast as Pac-Man's is, but he's not exactly Mr. Clean as well... My brain says he'll get a season and change (4-8 games) suspension, but my gut tells me not to expect any more than a year, if that.
Vick is the tim ducan of the NFL. Rules don't apply to him. I dont think he will see a suspension

Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #16
gastabegree

Vick is the tim ducan of the NFL. Rules don't apply to him. I dont think he will see a suspension
Hence my gut feeling.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:10 AM   #17
Ifroham4

vick will sit a year, and never play for the falcons again.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #18
pageup85

i dont see anything happening to vick except another 50% completion 12 td and 10 int year.

Reply to Thread New Thread