LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 12-23-2019, 02:53 AM   #1
linchao

Default they couldn’t wait [for me to get there
It’s been a busy past seven or so days for the San Francisco 49ers coaching staff. On Wednesday https://www.49ersfanshop.com/Deion-Sanders-Jersey , the Denver Broncos hired quarterbacks coach Rich Scangarello to be their offensive coordinator. On the same day, we learned that the Green Bay Packers received permission to interview assistant offensive line coach Adam Stenavich for their vacant offensive line job.Meanwhile, late last week we saw the Green Bay Packers, Cleveland Browns, and Minnesota Vikings all denied interviews with passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach Mike LaFleur, and the Packers and Arizona Cardinals both denied an opportunity to interview run game coordinator Mike McDaniel.Early reports had Scangarello denied an interview with Denver before permission was eventually granted Roger Craig Jersey , but why in the end did he and Stenavich get a chance to interview, while McDaniel and LaFleur did not?49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan will likely chat with the media next week at the Senior Bowl, and I’m sure he’ll get a question or two about this. In the meantime, I have a thought as to what might be happening.The Packers, Browns, and Cardinals are all teams that have a head coach whose experience is on offense. The Packers hired former Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur Ronnie Lott Color Rush Jersey , the Browns promoted interim offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens, and the Cardinals hired former Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury. The commonality of all three is they are experienced offensive coaches who the front office hopes can innovate and upgrade their respective offenses.When a team rejects an interview request, sometimes it is because they simply don’t want to let an assistant go yet. Sometimes it is because the assistant wants to stay but doesn’t want to be seen turning down an opportunity, and so the team can reject it for him and provide cover. Either could be possible here.More specifically however, this could be about what the opportunities would have actually meant for McDaniel and LaFleur. Kyle Shanahan is effectively the offensive coordinator, but McDaniel and LaFleur are also in coordinator roles. In joining teams with offensive minds running the show https://www.49ersfanshop.com/Jerry-Rice-Jersey , they would not have been moving into a clear promotion like Scangarello is getting in Denver.I’m not sure why the 49ers would have declined the Broncos interview initially and then changed their mind, but in the end, Scangarello is getting an opportunity to build on what he has learned and shape an offense in his vision. McDaniel and LaFleur would not get to do that in Tennessee, Green Bay, or Arizona.Some fans’ initial reaction to the rejected interviews was that Shanahan should not stand in the way of his coaches improving their careers. It is possible however that Shanahan and the assistants recognized that those would not have been a sufficient improvement. That is particularly true given that the 49ers offense stands a good chance of taking a big step forward in 2019 with the return of Jimmy Garoppolo. If the 49ers offense improves as it should, McDaniel and LaFleur will be hot candidates for offensive coordinator jobs a year from now. It’s a roll of the dice to some extent Colin Kaepernick Jersey , but given the context, it seems like a worthwhile gamble for both assistants. Among the big moves that are set to become official once the league year starts on Wednesday afternoon is the trade sending Dee Ford from the Chiefs to the 49ers.Ford is also set to sign a fat new contract with a total value of $87.5 million over five years with some $45 million in guarantees. That’s a pretty good sign of how much the Niners value having an edge rusher like Ford in the lineup and he told Terez Paylor of Yahoo Sports that the team made that clear to him verbally as well.“I feel appreciated,” Ford said. “Me knowing they believe in me … talking to the GM, talking to the owner, talking to the head coach … they couldn’t wait [for me to get there].”Ford is coming off his best NFL season and said the role the 49ers pitched to him was “music to my ears” because it called for him to attack off the line almost all the time. Ford also expects to be even stronger in 2019 since he isn’t coming off the back injury that limited him to six games in 2017.“Last year, at the point of attack Richard Sherman Color Rush Jersey , I wasn’t very strong — sometimes, they could knock me off my path,” Ford said. “Now, I’m gonna be like a Ferrari, but with an 18-wheeler’s force. I’m gonna have the muscle mass behind it.”The 49ers have also added linebacker Kwon Alexander to the mix and will be hoping their new defensive additions match with the returning Jimmy Garoppolo to help the team end a streak of four straight losing seasons.

Reply to Thread New Thread