LOGO
Reply to Thread New Thread
Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
Caursedus

I was planning a trip to Brazil last year (which I never took), and I was stunned by the difficulty of getting a Visa, which seemed much greater for Americans than other nationals. There was a simple explanation: Brazil imposes reciprocal burdens to your own nation. I wonder whether our tourist visas might be easier to come by if a lot of other countries did that.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
verybigf

If she is mature woman (older person) own the house has asset and children more likely she should pass.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
mybooboo

thanks everyone!

Old 09-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
mybooboo

Default any advice on helping my thai aunt get a tourist visa for the US?
I'm trying to help my aunt in thailand get a US tourist visa (B-2); I'd like to write a letter to send her for her to take w/her to the US embassy when she goes to apply for the visa, but have no idea what I could possibly say to help them believe she would not even try to stay past the expiration date of her visa. I've only seen one other topic in this forum that seems to be on this particular subject, and would greatly appreciate anyone's input on this who has successfully assisted a thai national in getting a non-immigrant tourist visa (type B-2 only) on what kind of points to cover in the letter.

thanks to anyone who replies to this in advance!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
usaneisfiecup

Are you a US citizen?

I went through this about four years ago. I had the luck of being in Thailand, though. I wrote a letter to the US Embassy and went with my three Thai siblings to the Embassy for their processing (interview, etc.) Once we got the picture right, etc. (that alone took three different trips) my siblings (aged at the time 25, 29, 31) had to wait in a horrendously long line. The line for US citizens, on the other hand... was empty. I left my siblings in line and thought I'd try my luck. I went up to the US Citizens window and asked them about this letter that I could write. They told me that the letter wouldn't have much sway, but if I did write one, I should explain my relationship to the Thai National, explain my career and stability in the US, and plan for the visit. I wrote this letter by hand and went back to the long line. When my siblings finally made it up to the window they were approved for the interview. It was scheduled for a few days later. I went in with them and waited for 5 hours and was then told the interview would be rescheduled to the next day. Waited another 5 hours. Another delay. Each day I went to the empty window for US Citizens and said, please...really...what could I do... nothing. Finally, the time of the interview rolled around. Our number was called and we all four jumped up like we had won the lottery. We went up and it was decided that the two (then) unmarried siblings would be in one interview and the married sibling would be in another interview. I was not allowed to be in the interview for the unmarried siblings. I tried, however, to lean in and just say "I know these guys and they are wonderful and I'll make sure they leave the US as promised" ...but the American interviewer was not interested. When it came time for the married sibling, I was allowed to be in on the interview. They asked me all of two questions. Both questions were in Thai, asked by an American worker. How do you know this woman? Do you speak Thai? I tried to take that opportunity to go on and on in detail, but she didn't care. She barely glanced at my letter and my sister was approved.

Married Sibling Female Aged 31 -- approved. She has a husband to return to and a promising job at a university.

Unmarried Sibling Female Aged 29 -- approved. She has a good job to return to.

Unmarried Sibling Male Aged 25 -- denied. Despite my letter. Despite me having already bought his plane ticket. Despite my charm in trying to interview. He was deemed too young and not likely to return to his job. I think the fact that he was Muslim also played into it, but they didn't mention that.

My brother was given 2 weeks to appeal. The appeal required the last 10 years financial records of both my father (his father) and me. I was on vacation in Thailand at the time and had absolutely no access to my banking records for the last 10 years. I wasn't sure what to do... for a few days, my brother tried to get the records from his dad, but then they decided it was too much effort for a quick vacation to the States. In addition, my brother had already taken considerable time off work to go through the first round.

It breaks my heart. My two sisters came to Thailand and had a wonderful visit. Whenever I am in Thailand we laugh and tell stories and they always make a point to serve Corn using Corn on the Cob Holders (their favorite American sourvenir).... and whenever I ask my brother when he might come to the US, he simply says, "When your country thinks that it's okay"

Sorry to ramble on and on about my excperiences. I'll go back and bold the answer to your specific question about what to put in the letter. I thought that I would also show you how completely random (and at times frustrating) it is. Good Luck with your Aunt!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
reervieltnope

I hate to do this to you, but here is a good starting point.
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/services/visa/index.htm
You'll probably have to check out a couple of the government websites to gey all of the information, but if your persistent you can do it. I was able to do my wife's k-1 visa all on my own using the government info.
good luck.

Reply to Thread New Thread